DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flat Belt step pulley (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/126948-flat-belt-step-pulley.html)

[email protected] October 28th 05 07:58 PM

Flat Belt step pulley

I'm looking for a source of flat belt step pulleys.

I've searched around all the usual suspects (MSC, McMaster, Grainger)
The few flat belt pulleys I can find are single size ones.

Any ideas?

I'm playing around with a lathe design (older style lathe) and at this
time do not have casting ability.

Rex B October 28th 05 08:07 PM

Flat Belt step pulley

wrote:
I'm looking for a source of flat belt step pulleys.

I've searched around all the usual suspects (MSC, McMaster, Grainger)
The few flat belt pulleys I can find are single size ones.

Any ideas?

I'm playing around with a lathe design (older style lathe) and at this
time do not have casting ability.

I would think that is somethingyou'd turn on a lthe.
Assuming you have a lathe to build a lathe

Ron Moore October 28th 05 08:26 PM

Flat Belt step pulley

There are myriad of cog belt pulleys available. Could probably stack a few
of those to get a multistep. Probably better traction than a smooth,
anyway.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

oups.com...

Grant Erwin October 28th 05 08:58 PM

Flat Belt step pulley

wrote:

I'm looking for a source of flat belt step pulleys.

I've searched around all the usual suspects (MSC, McMaster, Grainger)
The few flat belt pulleys I can find are single size ones.

Any ideas?

I'm playing around with a lathe design (older style lathe) and at this
time do not have casting ability.

Buy a South Bend horizontal drive unit? Those have flat belts, or many did
anyway. 4 steps. Or buy a huge chunk of aluminum and just turn one. I turned a
4-step V-belt pulley once, came out great.

GWE

Eric R Snow October 29th 05 12:41 AM

Flat Belt step pulley

On 28 Oct 2005 11:58:41 -0700, "
wrote:

I'm looking for a source of flat belt step pulleys.

I've searched around all the usual suspects (MSC, McMaster, Grainger)
The few flat belt pulleys I can find are single size ones.

Any ideas?

I'm playing around with a lathe design (older style lathe) and at this
time do not have casting ability.

You really don't need to cast them. Depending on the size wood will
work well. Too small or too narrow are limiting factors for wood
pulleys. You can make good pulleys out of maple. Laminated maple even
better. Other hardwoods as well.Turn the hub out of aluminum and mount
it to the wood using epoxy and screws. The screws really only help
when the epoxy is setting up and if the epoxy ever fails. You can
either use a large diameter hub or use a smaller diameter with large
diameter flanges. I'd go with the flanges. One way would be to drill
and tap holes into the faces of the hub and screw the flanges to the
faces. The hubs can be keyed easily because they are made from
aluminum. Be sure to finish the wood with a product that not only
seals but also wears well. I imagine some kind of floor stuff would be
ideal.
ERS