Gunner

Default Dumoore flex shaft grinder question

I had forgotten Id scrounged up a Dumore flex shaft grinder some time
back. The handpiece holds a 1/4" tool, which is a bit wierd as the
motor doesnt seem particulary big.

On each end of the actual core of the flex shaft is a .25 x .25 square
crosssection bit of steel that engage the handpiece shaft and the
motor on the other. One of the bits is broken off on one end, so it
wont engage the motor.

Lord only knows what the vintage of this thing is..the motor does run
well, the hand piece has little play or backlash in the bearings... so
it is a keeper if I can fix the end.

Whats the best way to repair the end of the core? Make one up out of
1/4" key stock and tig it to the end of the core?

Any suggestions are welcome

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner wrote:
I had forgotten Id scrounged up a Dumore flex shaft grinder some time
back. The handpiece holds a 1/4" tool, which is a bit wierd as the
motor doesnt seem particulary big.

On each end of the actual core of the flex shaft is a .25 x .25 square
crosssection bit of steel that engage the handpiece shaft and the
motor on the other. One of the bits is broken off on one end, so it
wont engage the motor.

Lord only knows what the vintage of this thing is..the motor does run
well, the hand piece has little play or backlash in the bearings... so
it is a keeper if I can fix the end.

Whats the best way to repair the end of the core? Make one up out of
1/4" key stock and tig it to the end of the core?

Any suggestions are welcome

Gunner

Gunner,
I have a Dumore that is likely the exact same thing, that I picked up
cheap at a used tool place around here. I'm not sure what would be the
best way to fix the flex shaft core, but don't be surprised at the 1/4"
collet for the tool. That little motor is strong and fast. I love mine.
I've used it with points and even a wire wheel on a few occasions.
Beats the daylights out of any of the lower-end air powered die
grinders I've used, and runs circles around a dremel for heavy stuff.
Way more torque than either of them. I want to add a variable speed
control. I think that would make it even more versitle.

Seemed to me that it might be just the thing for a neat-o toolpost
grinder for the lathe, looks pretty easy to make up a mount to go in
the quick-change, though I have never had occasion to need one.

I have often wondered what I would do when the shaft wore out. If you
come up with any clever hacks, by all means share what you figured out.
If photos or something might help, just say the word.

-AL A.

Dave Lyon

Any suggestions are welcome

On mine, the shaft just pulls out. Why not just buy a new one?

Gunner

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:25:03 GMT, "Dave Lyon"
wrote:

Any suggestions are welcome

On mine, the shaft just pulls out. Why not just buy a new one?

Is Dumore still in business? And do they support ancient Stuff?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
John Martin

Gunner wrote:

On mine, the shaft just pulls out. Why not just buy a new one?

Is Dumore still in business? And do they support ancient Stuff?

Gunner

Still in business, and they still sell flexible shaft grinders. With a
1/4" inner cable, yours is probably a heavy duty model.

If you can't find a shaft, I'd try a new end with a setscrew rather
than welding one on. Providing there is room inside the cable housing
for it. At least that's what I did with an old Fairchild flexible
shaft grinder I have.

Or, you may be able to shorten the sheath and grind a new square end.

John Martin

Dave

Gunner wrote:
I had forgotten Id scrounged up a Dumore flex shaft grinder some time
back. The handpiece holds a 1/4" tool, which is a bit wierd as the
motor doesnt seem particulary big.

On each end of the actual core of the flex shaft is a .25 x .25 square
crosssection bit of steel that engage the handpiece shaft and the
motor on the other. One of the bits is broken off on one end, so it
wont engage the motor.

Lord only knows what the vintage of this thing is..the motor does run
well, the hand piece has little play or backlash in the bearings... so
it is a keeper if I can fix the end.

Whats the best way to repair the end of the core? Make one up out of
1/4" key stock and tig it to the end of the core?

Any suggestions are welcome

Gunner

On the topic of Dumore, does anyone know of a webpage with an
accumulation of data on their toolpost grinders? I am wondering how all
the wacky older models that show up on Ebay relate to recommended lathe
sizes. For example the smallest and largest lathe each would be
appropriate for? I have looked around on www.dumorecorp.com but even
the current models have minimal descriptions. Thanks.

DOC

From an old catalog:

Series Lathe Swing (inches)

12 ........ 20+
77 ........ 16 - 22
7 ........ 16 - 22
5 ........ 13 - 18
44 ........ 9 - 13
11 ........ 8 - 11
14 ........ 6 - 8

For some reason, the new catalogs don't seem to have this information.

Perhaps the company feels that machinists a just that much smarter these
days! :-)

DOC

On the topic of Dumore, does anyone know of a webpage with an
accumulation of data on their toolpost grinders? I am wondering how all
the wacky older models that show up on Ebay relate to recommended lathe
sizes. For example the smallest and largest lathe each would be
appropriate for? I have looked around on www.dumorecorp.com but even
the current models have minimal descriptions. Thanks.

Tom Wait

"Gunner" wrote
Is Dumore still in business? And do they support ancient Stuff?

Dumore is still in business. They've moved from Racine WI to up nort' to get
away from the unions and high rent in SE Wisconsin. When I asked for a book
for my series 5 they refered me to a dealer.
William Sopko & Sons Co.,Inc.
26500 Lakeland Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44132
Ph. (216) 289-1400 fax (216) 289-1883
I don't think they charged me anything for the book. I think it was faxed to
me. It's been awhile.
Tom

Is my old Delta Grinder Shaft Fixable? Lane Metalworking 7 January 11th 05 02:53 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
question on grinder speeds Walker Woodturning 27 November 3rd 04 09:53 AM
Harbor Freight tool grinder? Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 14 December 30th 03 01:03 AM