john

Default drill chuck recomendations

Hi,

I'm looking for a good value on an MT 2 drill chuck for my drill press.
What brands hold up well? Suppliers?

Thanks,

John
SMuel10363

'm looking for a good value on an MT 2 drill chuck for my drill press.
What brands hold up well? Suppliers?

I own a machine shop.We have 350--400 drill chucks all Jacobs I would not own
any other make. If you can, buy the ballbearing type you will not be sorry
Ray Mueller

ATP

SMuel10363 wrote:
'm looking for a good value on an MT 2 drill chuck for my drill
press. What brands hold up well? Suppliers?

I own a machine shop.We have 350--400 drill chucks all Jacobs I
would not own any other make. If you can, buy the ballbearing type
you will not be sorry Ray Mueller

I only have about ten of them and far less experience but I think you will
be amazed as I was by the super ballbearing Jacobs- for a #2 MT a 14N is a
decent size. You might as well buy it on ebay with the MT2 adapter already
supplied. They run about 30-35 bucks for a decent looking chuck, then you'll
probably need to buy the key separate, they're pretty cheap.

Grant Erwin

I like keyed chucks, having tried Albrecht, Rohm, and import keyless.
None of them held a drill without slipping, maybe my hands aren't strong
enough. And be sure to tighten the key in all 3 holes.

I suggest a Jacobs ball-bearing chuck. If that's too much do-re-mi, then
get a plain bearing chuck. Ideal would be a 14N, new.

Good vendors abound. I suggest:

MSC http://www.msc-industrial.com
J&L http://www.jlindustrial.com
Travers http://www.travers.com
Enco http://www.use-enco.com

Grant Erwin

john wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a good value on an MT 2 drill chuck for my drill press.
What brands hold up well? Suppliers?

Thanks,

John

Robin S.

"Roy" wrote in message

Ball nearing Jacobs would be my first choice, then a Rohm and then a
Cushman. I do have a chuck that looks identical to a Jacobs, and is a
quality built item, but its made in france and is something like a VHA
or something like that. It was dirt cheap when I bought it, and to say
it is quality, does not sound right, but on this item quality and
cheap goes hand in hand for once.

Perhaps LFA? That's what we sell for people who are dissatisfied with the
chucks that come with their drill presses. They are very solid units and
I've never heard of one being returned because it wasn't functioning
correctly. They're not exactly cheap (usually $50-$70 CND for a 5/8") but
you only have to buy it once. We don't stock Jacobs in the high-end range
because they're so pricy (2X+ the price of the LFA's). Never heard any
complaints.

Regards,

Robin

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
john wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a good value on an MT 2 drill chuck for my drill press.
What brands hold up well? Suppliers?

Well ... several have said that they do not care for the keyless
chucks, but I like them -- and have several brands, Albrecht (the top of
the line), Rohm (similar quality), a Jacobs keyless, and an import
keyless clone of the Albrecht which is not as good, but has more
capacity than an Albrecht that I can afford.

That said -- there are reasons to have keyed style chucks on
hand -- if you use them in something with a reversible spindle. Either
tailstock chucks for lathes, or spindle chucks for vertical milling
machines. The reason for this is that a left-hand drill bit (good for
drilling out broken-off screws) will *loosen* a good keyless chuck, just
as normal forward operation should *tighten* it. On my drill press (for
the moment), I can't run it backwards, so there is no matter there. In
a lathe or a milling machine, it is easy to run the spindle backwards
for the right tools.

Now -- all of this said -- most chucks do not come set up for
Morse taper -- they have a female Jacobs taper in the back of the chuck.
There are arbors available to fit most Jacobs tapers to Morse tapers,
and this is what I use in my drill press and my lathes. (One lathe is
MT-1, one is MT-3, while the drill press is MT-2.) I normally use the
5/8" clone keyless in the lathe, unless I need to work in reverse, so I
keep a keyed chuck on another MT-3 arbor ready to hand. For the smaller
lathe, I have three keyless chucks (1/8" Albrecht, 1/4" Albrecht, and
3/8" Rohm) -- and no need for a keyed chuck, because that lathe does not
have a reversible spindle. The smaller chucks chew up less of the space
between spindle and tailstock, so I use them unless I need to use
something larger in the tailstock. And for many larger drill sizes in
the tailstock, I use ones with a direct MT-1 shank, so there is *no*
chuck wasting space between workpiece and tailstock. (That is a rather
small lathe, so this matters to me.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564