DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint stripping and rust prevention? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/126763-paint-stripping-rust-prevention.html)

Terry Keeley October 27th 05 01:54 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

I'm restoring my Clausing 8520 mill and am in the process of stripping the
old paint. Trying to figure a way to keep it from rusting till I re-paint,
was thinking of coating it with LPS and then washing it off with solvent
right before the primer. A fellow mentioned this product on another board,
is it OK to put on ways etc.? Any other ideas?

http://www.ospho.com/

Thanks in advance...

Dave Lyon October 27th 05 02:09 PM

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no spam)@(or mail)rogers.com wrote in message
I'm restoring my Clausing 8520 mill and am in the process of stripping the
old paint. Trying to figure a way to keep it from rusting till I

re-paint,
was thinking of coating it with LPS and then washing it off with solvent
right before the primer. A fellow mentioned this product on another

board,
is it OK to put on ways etc.? Any other ideas?

http://www.ospho.com/

Thanks in advance...

I would use Mold Saver. It comes in a spray can and is designed to keep
molds from rusting while in storage. It has a very waxy film, but is easily
washed off with most solvents.

Of course one of the reasons I would choose it is because I have some on the
shelf. :)

Terry Keeley October 27th 05 02:21 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

Great idea, thanks. I see several brands, is one better than the others?
Does it wash off clean with a light solvent like varsol?

Dave Lyon October 27th 05 02:42 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no spam)@(or mail)rogers.com wrote in message
Great idea, thanks. I see several brands, is one better than the others?
Does it wash off clean with a light solvent like varsol?

I don't know what is better. I usually get mine from BMS Burns because they
seem to have the best prices. I use #A677 as a mold saver, and I use #93234
as a solvent. http://www.bmsburns.com/Catalog/Cata...%20287-304.pdf

Terry Keeley October 27th 05 02:52 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

I found some made by DME that I think will do the job, thanks again!

http://216.91.69.172/DCatalog/pages/N111_frame.htm

Rex B October 27th 05 03:01 PM

Dave Lyon wrote:
I'm restoring my Clausing 8520 mill and am in the process of stripping the
old paint. Trying to figure a way to keep it from rusting till I

re-paint,

Why not shoot it with a light coat of Rustoleum (or equivalent
anti-rust) primer?

Leo Lichtman October 27th 05 05:31 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

"Terry Keeley" wrote: (clip) Any other ideas?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As long as you're going to coat it with something, why not just spray on a
light coat of primer? Then there's nothing to wash off later. For the
ways, of course, I would just wipe on some oil.

[email protected] October 27th 05 07:07 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

You could also use POR-15.
http://por15store.com

Terry Keeley October 27th 05 09:35 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

Ya, thought of that, but I have several pieces to do so some of them will be
sitting a while, plus I have to finish my new sparay booth first!

Terry Keeley October 27th 05 09:36 PM

Paint stripping and rust prevention?

Thanks, liked the "mold saver" idea and got some today...

wrote in message
ups.com...
You could also use POR-15.
http://por15store.com