DeepDiver

Default Solvent for removing gummy packing foam?

I have some old tools that were packed by the manufacturer in sponge foam
(like acoustic foam). The foam has deteriorated with age and, where it was
in contact with the tools, it has bonded itself to the metal with the
tenacity of epoxy.

I tried soaking in acetone and the crusty old foam just laughed. I'd rather
avoid water-based solvents or chemicals that require a water rinse (e.g.,
paint remover). Can anyone recommend a (common) solvent that will dissolve
and remove this stuff?

Thanks!

Richard J Kinch

DeepDiver writes:

Can anyone recommend a (common) solvent that will dissolve
and remove this stuff?

Just about any petroleum distillate: naptha, mineral spirits, WD-40,
kerosene, etc.
Eastburn

There is a great product out there called Goof Off.

It will take it off. Cheap enough - buy at a hardware store -
in cleaners area - takes bubble gum and labels off like nothing!

Have a can at work and a can at home.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Stan Schaefer

"DeepDiver" wrote in message ...
I have some old tools that were packed by the manufacturer in sponge foam
(like acoustic foam). The foam has deteriorated with age and, where it was
in contact with the tools, it has bonded itself to the metal with the
tenacity of epoxy.

I tried soaking in acetone and the crusty old foam just laughed. I'd rather
avoid water-based solvents or chemicals that require a water rinse (e.g.,
paint remover). Can anyone recommend a (common) solvent that will dissolve
and remove this stuff?

Thanks!

Must be like urethane or something similar, not styrofoam. I use
paint stripper all the time on tools like woodworking chisels and
plane blades to remove the lacquer coating on the blades before
lapping and sharpening. You just have to be careful not to get any on
plastic handles, the same would be true for acetone. A wash with hot
water followed by a blast of WD40 or LPS-1 keeps the rust off, I use
LPS-2 or LPS-3 for storage. If you've got plastic handles that your
foam has gotten too intimate with, you may just have to scrape the
stuff off and accept the damage. If acetone doesn't do it, probably
mineral spirits or naptha won't touch it, either. Lacquer thinner
might do something if you've got it handy.

Stan