Dick

Default Precise grinder

Hello all, I have a Precise Grinder with a long neck for doing internal
grinding I imagine. It is variable speed from 0 to 45,000 rpm and can be
mounted on a lathe or mill. I just miked the spindle where the stone is
mounted and it is .395 ths. Now my question is: where do you look for stones
for this dude? I've been looking at MSC and Enco and a few other places on
the internet but all the stones are way to large. I've got a couple of
carbide drill bushings that need to be ground down to .642 od from .675 od
to use as sanding mandrills.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dick" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a Precise Grinder with a long neck for doing internal
grinding I imagine. It is variable speed from 0 to 45,000 rpm and can be
mounted on a lathe or mill. I just miked the spindle where the stone is
mounted and it is .395 ths. Now my question is: where do you look for

stones
for this dude? I've been looking at MSC and Enco and a few other places on
the internet but all the stones are way to large. I've got a couple of
carbide drill bushings that need to be ground down to .642 od from .675 od
to use as sanding mandrills.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Dick

You aren't looking for "stones"--------you're looking for "wheels".

If you follow ebay, with patience, you'll come across a nice selection of
wheels for a fair price. Otherwise, be prepared to part company with some
serious cash. The cost, each, can be staggering. Most any supplier of
grinding wheels should be able to provide your needs, although they may not
stock the wheels due to the wide variety available and the small demand.

Be real smart about the wheels you mount. With such a wide speed range,
it's easy to over rev a grinding wheel that is not the right size. If
all else fails, and you have no clue how fast a given wheel should be run,
calculate the surface area and don't run it faster than 6,000 SFPM. Try to
run the wheels at the proper speed so they perform properly. A wheel that
is run well under speed behaves as if it's soft and won't hold up.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dick" wrote in message
snip-----

I've got a couple of
carbide drill bushings that need to be ground down to .642 od from .675 od
to use as sanding mandrills.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Dick

I failed to address this issue.
The only real success you'll achieve with grinding carbide is with a diamond
wheel. Beyond that, one of the green silicon carbide wheels may do the
job, but not nearly as well as diamond. I'm not sure you can buy them is
sizes for small grinders. Never seen them in all my years in the shop.

You're not in a good position in this matter. Grinding that much off
almost demands running coolant----which is not a good idea on a lathe when
grinding. You might be far better off to either buy a bushing the right
size, or pay to have them ground. The potential for damaging your machine
(by running coolant when grinding) is very real in this instance.

Considering they're for sanding, you might achieve good success by making
the right size bushing from drill rod and torch hardening. No grinding
necessary. Just a thought.

Harold

Jon Elson

Dick wrote:

Hello all, I have a Precise Grinder with a long neck for doing internal
grinding I imagine. It is variable speed from 0 to 45,000 rpm and can be
mounted on a lathe or mill. I just miked the spindle where the stone is
mounted and it is .395 ths. Now my question is: where do you look for stones
for this dude?

You might want to get hold of Precise, and get collets in a more
standard size. They are quite expensive, as I remember. I was lucky, and
got a 1/8" collet when I bought my spindle on eBay.

Jon

Dick

Thanks Harold for the information. I build custom cue sticks and I am
going to be using these as standards. I bought two .625 X .875 X 1.0"
standard carbide drill bushings and mounted them onto bronze rods. Tapped
one for a female thread and put in one of my joint pins in the other. I now
need them ground, together, down to my normal joint size. In this way I can
turn all my joints down to this size and all of my shafts on the other
master and the shafts and butts would all be a standard size and all
interchangeable. These will be used many hundreds of times so I wanted a
material that would last as long as possible before becoming to much under
size.
When I built these I intended to have them commercially ground but then
remembered that I had this grinder that I had bought on e-bay by mistake.
Just figured I would put it to use since I had it.
I'll call some commercial grinders tomorrow.
Thanks again for the quick reply and information,
Dick

--

"Dick" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew Mawson

"Dick" wrote in message
[...]

No you'll never find the stones (really wheels or points) - the thing
is junk - I'll do you a big favour and pay the carriage for you to
send it to me GGG

AWEM

Dick

Actually, this one doesn't use collets. It has a stud on the end of the
spindle to mount a wheel. I guess there could be small bushings to slide
over to use a bigger cir. wheel. When I bought it I thought it used collets
as that is what I was looking for to run small end mills on my CNC.
I did buy another one that uses collets and a .125 collet and nut was
160.00 if I remember right.
Dick

--
"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Dick wrote:

Hello all, I have a Precise Grinder with a long neck for doing internal
grinding I imagine. It is variable speed from 0 to 45,000 rpm and can be
mounted on a lathe or mill. I just miked the spindle where the stone is
mounted and it is .395 ths. Now my question is: where do you look for
stones for this dude?

You might want to get hold of Precise, and get collets in a more
standard size. They are quite expensive, as I remember. I was lucky, and
got a 1/8" collet when I bought my spindle on eBay.

Jon

Jon Elson

Dick wrote:
Actually, this one doesn't use collets. It has a stud on the end of the
spindle to mount a wheel. I guess there could be small bushings to slide
over to use a bigger cir. wheel. When I bought it I thought it used collets
as that is what I was looking for to run small end mills on my CNC.
I did buy another one that uses collets and a .125 collet and nut was
160.00 if I remember right.
Dick

Hmmm, I haven't run across that type device. It sounds much like a
toolpost grinder, but direct drive. If the shaft is not keyed, it
should be extremely simple to make a bushing for the next size grinding
wheel ID. Do you have the frequency changer, or is it the old
universal motor type?

Yeah, your quote on Precise collets sounds like their prices.

Jon

Bugs

The shaft is 10.03 mm. You need to source metric wheels.
Bugs