rastus

Default Mystery tool

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.

rastus

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:47:40 -0700, lathenut wrote:

A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.

No, it doesn't show up too well, but that's a micrometer head on it.

Leo Lichtman

wrote: A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right, and I will carry it a step further. I think it's a press for
a watchmaker. You place the circular plate on the table, selecting the hole
that is appropriate. You would place a gear or wheel below the vertical
pin, and turn the knurled thimble to drive a shaft either in or out.

Jeff Wisnia

rastus wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Assuming that's a micrometer there, might it have something to do with
measuring the thickness of fired brass cartridge rims?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:44:23 -0500, rastus
wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Tubular rivet set???
Fred R

Leo Lichtman wrote:
wrote: A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right, and I will carry it a step further. I think it's a press for
a watchmaker. You place the circular plate on the table, selecting the hole
that is appropriate. You would place a gear or wheel below the vertical
pin, and turn the knurled thimble to drive a shaft either in or out.

That was my first thought too, followed closely by a couple of
contradictions. The micrometer-looking head - would you use it like a
screw press? And the lack of a locating pin for the anvil block - kinda'
defeats the purpose of 'percishun' instrument to hand-locate the work,
doesn't it?
--
Fred R
________________
Nick Müller

rastus wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

A dedicated/special measuring tool.
You can keep it until it fits your need. Then you know the purpose. :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
larry g

I'm thinking that this is a production gauging tool. I can see it for
checking head height on something like a rivet, bolt, or other similarly
shaped item. Drop the unit under test into a hole and slide it under the
micrometer head and measure the head height from the disc with the holes in
it. I'm guessing that the disc with the holes in it is ground and the two
faces are parallel.
lg
no neat sig line

"rastus" wrote in message
news
You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

rastus

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:13:26 -0700, larry g wrote:

I'm thinking that this is a production gauging tool. I can see it for
checking head height on something like a rivet, bolt, or other similarly
shaped item. Drop the unit under test into a hole and slide it under the
micrometer head and measure the head height from the disc with the holes in
it. I'm guessing that the disc with the holes in it is ground and the two
faces are parallel.
lg

The disk is ground. I put it on my surface plate and measured, the faces
of the disk are parallel. The micrometer head is an old Brown & Sharpe.

It came in an old box of machinist's clamps and calipers that I bought
at an auction. Hate to just pitch it, maybe I'll stick it on Ebay if
no one wants out of this group. If you do want it, make an offer.

Don Foreman

wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Maybe for measuring tapers? Mike depth a tapered pin falls thru one
known hole, ditto thru a larger known hole, calculate taper.

Bugs

It's a watchmaker's staking plate. There should be a set of staking
punches that go with it. I have one similar in design.
Bugs

Brian Lawson

wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Hey Rastus,

Kinda tough to tell from the single pix what sort of "head clearance"
there is. Is the table adjustable up and down? If not, when the
holed disc is placed on the table, what would the mike read when
touching it? Is there a lever at the front, or does the table "slot"
go through the base too, like a press might? What exactly does the
"pin" on the end of the barrel look like? Any chance it has a hole in
it?

So far, I'd go with the horological suggestions, possibly to place a
shaft into a gear for a very specific distance.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Mike Berger

Me too, and that's what it is.

Bugs wrote:
It's a watchmaker's staking plate. There should be a set of staking
punches that go with it. I have one similar in design.
Bugs

Fred R

Mike Berger wrote:
Me too, and that's what it is.

Bugs wrote:
It's a watchmaker's staking plate. There should be a set of staking
punches that go with it. I have one similar in design.
Bugs

I, too, have a watchmaker's staking plate. Mine has a precise vertical
guide for a punch and a precise pin to locate the circle of holes in the
block beneath the punch center. While the pictured item might have had a
scrounged micrometer head substituted for the punch guide, there is no
obvious placement for a block axis pin.

Bugs: if yours is similar, how is your block located?

--
Fred R

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM