DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mystery tool (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/126331-mystery-tool.html)

rastus October 24th 05 10:44 PM

Mystery tool

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

[email protected] October 24th 05 10:47 PM

Mystery tool

A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.

rastus October 24th 05 10:53 PM

Mystery tool

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:47:40 -0700, lathenut wrote:

A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.

No, it doesn't show up too well, but that's a micrometer head on it.

Leo Lichtman October 24th 05 10:54 PM

Mystery tool

wrote: A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right, and I will carry it a step further. I think it's a press for
a watchmaker. You place the circular plate on the table, selecting the hole
that is appropriate. You would place a gear or wheel below the vertical
pin, and turn the knurled thimble to drive a shaft either in or out.

Jeff Wisnia October 24th 05 10:58 PM

Mystery tool

rastus wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Assuming that's a micrometer there, might it have something to do with
measuring the thickness of fired brass cartridge rims?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[email protected] October 24th 05 10:58 PM

Mystery tool

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:44:23 -0500, rastus
wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Tubular rivet set???

Fred R October 24th 05 11:26 PM

Mystery tool

Leo Lichtman wrote:
wrote: A very delicate press for a delicat object????
Just a quick guess.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right, and I will carry it a step further. I think it's a press for
a watchmaker. You place the circular plate on the table, selecting the hole
that is appropriate. You would place a gear or wheel below the vertical
pin, and turn the knurled thimble to drive a shaft either in or out.

That was my first thought too, followed closely by a couple of
contradictions. The micrometer-looking head - would you use it like a
screw press? And the lack of a locating pin for the anvil block - kinda'
defeats the purpose of 'percishun' instrument to hand-locate the work,
doesn't it?
--
Fred R
________________

Nick Müller October 25th 05 12:07 AM

Mystery tool

rastus wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

A dedicated/special measuring tool.
You can keep it until it fits your need. Then you know the purpose. :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

larry g October 25th 05 12:13 AM

Mystery tool

I'm thinking that this is a production gauging tool. I can see it for
checking head height on something like a rivet, bolt, or other similarly
shaped item. Drop the unit under test into a hole and slide it under the
micrometer head and measure the head height from the disc with the holes in
it. I'm guessing that the disc with the holes in it is ground and the two
faces are parallel.
lg
no neat sig line

rastus October 25th 05 12:21 AM

Mystery tool

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:13:26 -0700, larry g wrote:

I'm thinking that this is a production gauging tool. I can see it for
checking head height on something like a rivet, bolt, or other similarly
shaped item. Drop the unit under test into a hole and slide it under the
micrometer head and measure the head height from the disc with the holes in
it. I'm guessing that the disc with the holes in it is ground and the two
faces are parallel.
lg

The disk is ground. I put it on my surface plate and measured, the faces
of the disk are parallel. The micrometer head is an old Brown & Sharpe.

It came in an old box of machinist's clamps and calipers that I bought
at an auction. Hate to just pitch it, maybe I'll stick it on Ebay if
no one wants out of this group. If you do want it, make an offer.