Old October 25th 05, 01:00 AM
Don Foreman

Default Mystery tool

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:44:23 -0500, rastus
wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Maybe for measuring tapers? Mike depth a tapered pin falls thru one
known hole, ditto thru a larger known hole, calculate taper.

Old October 25th 05, 01:01 PM
Bugs

It's a watchmaker's staking plate. There should be a set of staking
punches that go with it. I have one similar in design.
Bugs

Old October 25th 05, 05:29 PM
Brian Lawson

wrote:

You folks have any idea what this is?

http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/3490/000030nr.jpg

Hey Rastus,

Kinda tough to tell from the single pix what sort of "head clearance"
there is. Is the table adjustable up and down? If not, when the
holed disc is placed on the table, what would the mike read when
touching it? Is there a lever at the front, or does the table "slot"
go through the base too, like a press might? What exactly does the
"pin" on the end of the barrel look like? Any chance it has a hole in
it?

So far, I'd go with the horological suggestions, possibly to place a
shaft into a gear for a very specific distance.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Old October 25th 05, 05:32 PM
Mike Berger

Me too, and that's what it is.

Old October 25th 05, 09:31 PM
Fred R

Mike Berger wrote:
Me too, and that's what it is.

Bugs wrote:
It's a watchmaker's staking plate. There should be a set of staking
punches that go with it. I have one similar in design.
Bugs

I, too, have a watchmaker's staking plate. Mine has a precise vertical
guide for a punch and a precise pin to locate the circle of holes in the
block beneath the punch center. While the pictured item might have had a
scrounged micrometer head substituted for the punch guide, there is no
obvious placement for a block axis pin.

Bugs: if yours is similar, how is your block located?

--
Fred R

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM