DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Countersink (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/12606-countersink.html)

Kevin Doney November 1st 03 12:55 PM

Countersink

I need to find a flat bottom countersink for SHCS. Do I use an end mill? Is
there a drill countersink combination that will give me the flat bottom? I
have tried McMaster and MSC and can't find anything.
Thanks in advance

Randy Replogle November 1st 03 02:10 PM

Countersink

Kevin Doney wrote:

Never mind I found it. Counterbore --- duh

BTW, an end mill or flat bottom drill would work fine. I'd choose a
diameter with minimal clearance for the screw head diamater.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

Ted Edwards November 1st 03 05:27 PM

Countersink

Randy Replogle wrote:

Kevin Doney wrote:
Never mind I found it. Counterbore --- duh

BTW, an end mill or flat bottom drill would work fine. I'd choose a
diameter with minimal clearance for the screw head diamater.

I have done this by drilling with an ordinary drill until well started
then switching to an end mill - less tendency to wander at the start.

Ted

michael November 1st 03 08:34 PM

Countersink

Ted Edwards wrote:

Randy Replogle wrote:

Kevin Doney wrote:
Never mind I found it. Counterbore --- duh

BTW, an end mill or flat bottom drill would work fine. I'd choose a
diameter with minimal clearance for the screw head diamater.

I have done this by drilling with an ordinary drill until well started
then switching to an end mill - less tendency to wander at the start.

Ted

The original post brought to mind a wall chart I saw once. It had pictures
of lots of different cutting tools and the name(s) for each of them. Maybe
someone else has seen one like that and perhaps knows where to get one. If
so, sign me up.

michael

Jack Erbes November 1st 03 09:20 PM

Countersink

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 13:05:35 GMT, "Kevin Doney"
wrote:

Never mind I found it. Counterbore --- duh

And end mills will work good too if you happen to have one the right
size. Especially if you are going to have a lock washer under the cap
screw. The contact area is so close to flat that you probably can't
tell the difference.