DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drill/Tap NPT in Brass Boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/125844-drill-tap-npt-brass-boiler.html)

Eric Svendson October 21st 05 02:19 PM

Drill/Tap NPT in Brass Boiler

Good Morning -

Thinking about drilling and tapping my espresso machine boiler (top surface)
for a thermocouple installation - either 1/16 or 1/8 NPT. While it would be
ideal if there were a "boss" that gave me, say, 3/8 or 1/2" wall thickness,
I'm thinking that the boiler's top wall is only about 1/8" thick. Any
tips/tricks you can think of would be appreciated.

Eric S.

Tim Shoppa October 21st 05 02:43 PM

Drill/Tap NPT in Brass Boiler

While it would be ideal if there were a "boss"
that gave me, say, 3/8 or 1/2" wall thickness,
I'm thinking that the boiler's top wall is only about 1/8"
thick. Any tips/tricks you can think of would be appreciated.

Drill a hole and solder or braze on a small brass pipe fitting? Sounds
easier to me than tapping a piece of sheet metal...

Tim.

Brian Lawson October 21st 05 04:15 PM

Drill/Tap NPT in Brass Boiler

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:19:42 -0400, "Eric Svendson"
wrote:

Good Morning -

Thinking about drilling and tapping my espresso machine boiler (top surface)
for a thermocouple installation - either 1/16 or 1/8 NPT. While it would be
ideal if there were a "boss" that gave me, say, 3/8 or 1/2" wall thickness,
I'm thinking that the boiler's top wall is only about 1/8" thick. Any
tips/tricks you can think of would be appreciated.

Eric S.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey Eric,

For a thermo-couple? Why? Just surface mount it.

If it IS necessary to pierce the boiler, then make an oval hole, an
oval "brass" piece of somewhat larger dimensions than the hole with
the tapped hole you require already in it, pass the oval through the
hole "sideways" and turn in situ to suit, then either clamp it on
externally, or silver solder/braze it (if you can do so with what I
assume will be a "dirty" surface). Ever see a "clean-out plug"??

I would probably do "more" than I've stated, but you get the idea. If
this is form commercial use, be aware of your liability.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.