Koz

Default Can I use a TIG welder to melt metal in small crucibles?

Ignoramus29878 wrote:

The subject says it all. I wonder if I can use a tig torch to melt
metal in little (or not so little) crucibles. With at least 5kW at the
arc, I could melt pretty big stuff.

Just curious and throwing gas on the fire here....due to the localized
heating aspect of the Tig arc, would there be a problem with uneven
thermal expansion of the crucible that could lead to cracking? A
standard oven/furnace heats the crucible fairly uniformly but a tig melt
would have far from uniform heat distribution.

Koz (who is interested in giving it a try...great idea for small melts)

Tim Wescott

Ignoramus29878 wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:41:11 -0700, Koz wrote:

Just curious and throwing gas on the fire here....due to the localized
heating aspect of the Tig arc, would there be a problem with uneven
thermal expansion of the crucible that could lead to cracking? A
standard oven/furnace heats the crucible fairly uniformly but a tig melt
would have far from uniform heat distribution.

Koz (who is interested in giving it a try...great idea for small melts)

That's a great question. I do not know what the answer may be.

Keep the tip moving? I wonder how the big boys do it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
jk

Ignoramus29878 wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:41:11 -0700, Koz wrote:
Just curious and throwing gas on the fire here....due to the localized
heating aspect of the Tig arc, would there be a problem with uneven
thermal expansion of the crucible that could lead to cracking? A
standard oven/furnace heats the crucible fairly uniformly but a tig melt
would have far from uniform heat distribution.

Koz (who is interested in giving it a try...great idea for small melts)

That's a great question. I do not know what the answer may be.

Well jewelers heat with a gas torch all of the time, I don't think
that is a whole lot less concentrated is it?
jk