Richard Wooley

Default TIR

I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a
chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Todd Rich

Richard Wooley wrote:
I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a
chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Where I work, I was told it stood for 'Total Indicator Reading'.
Todd
Ed Huntress

"Richard Wooley" wrote in message
I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a
chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know

this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

It depends upon the application and your local conventions. For most of
industry, it's "total indicated runout." That's the difference between the
lowest and the highest dimensional values for a cylindrical part, measured
all around its periphery, from center. It's also the same thing as "total
indicated roundness," which is a corruption of "total indicated runout."

It's sometimes interpreted as "total indicator reading." This is a vague
sort of definition. On cylindrical parts, it means about the same thing as
above. On flat parts, it depends on what the guy who says it thinks he means
by the expression. I've seen it used to mean the same thing as Rt
("R-sub-t," or total surface roughness), which is the dimension from the
lowest valley to the highest peak over a given span of a part).

In the literature, it usually means "total indicated runout."

Ed Huntress

Richard Wooley

Thanks for the responses to my question. Rich W.
Gunner

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:29:16 -0600, "Richard Wooley"
wrote:

I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a
chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Big gold star, as either definition works find.

Two ways to measure runout..

1. How far out from center axis does the item vary. This as an example,
is measured from a fixed point away from the axis

2. How far does the item varies in total. If you measured a bend,
spinning, and it had .01 bend in it. it would measure .01 runout, but if
you measured TIR, it would actually run out .02, as its covering that
much territory as it spins. Often measureing a single point on a bent
item will not give you a true indication, as it may be bent in more than
one point..the end may be dead nuts, but the middle may be out .5 as an
example.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Fred Fowler

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:38:35 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
scribed:

Richard Wooley wrote:
I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a
chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Where I work, I was told it stood for 'Total Indicator Reading'.
Todd

All pretty much the same. Difference between Max and Min... So if you
have +10 mils, -5 mils, the TIR reading is 5 mils... If you indicate
-15 mils to -20 mils the TIR is 5 mils.

Fred

JMartin957

All pretty much the same. Difference between Max and Min... So if you
have +10 mils, -5 mils, the TIR reading is 5 mils... If you indicate
-15 mils to -20 mils the TIR is 5 mils.

Fred

In the first example, you mean 15 TIR, don't you?

John Martin

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Richard Wooley wrote:
I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for

chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know

this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we

have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Where I work, I was told it stood for 'Total Indicator Reading'.
Todd

As it was where I worked when I broke into the trade.

Harold

John

Richard Wooley wrote:
I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a
chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this
is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for.
Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have
come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

TIR Total Indicator Reading HTH
--
SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS
Have 5 nice days! John