DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/125511-quality-cast-iron-weights-arnold-s-type-weights.html)

jtaylor October 19th 05 01:01 PM

Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh October 19th 05 01:09 PM

"jtaylor" wrote in message
I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

Heh, heh! Bison brand faceplates are like window sash weights... so what's
that tell you?

GGG

LLoyd

~Roy October 19th 05 02:49 PM

Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

I have machined some weigts that were beautiful material, but on
average most is pretty darn crappy junk........porosity or quality of
the metal is not of concern for a mere weight.........and its probably
not the most suitable material to use for a face plate IMHO. some
weights are almost impossible to get a decent cut on with lots of hard
spots others are so porous they are like a sponge..

"The original frugal ponder"

Jim Stewart October 19th 05 04:33 PM

jtaylor wrote:
I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

I've tried truing up 2.5 lb weights so I could
use them as flywheels. Hard as glass and almost
impossible to take a lathe cut even with carbide
tools.

[email protected] October 19th 05 05:37 PM

Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

I made ball joints for the legs of a small hoist out of cast-iron
dumbbells from WalMart and had a lot of trouble with the stuff,
although they came out nice and smooth. The metal was quite hard for at
least half an inch in and brittle in the handle where I separated the
two pieces. If you have a wood stove you could try annealing it.

jw

F. George McDuffee October 19th 05 07:30 PM

Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:01:28 -0300, "jtaylor"
wrote:

I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

Try a blank-off or blind pipe flange.

Ol' Duffer October 20th 05 04:38 AM

Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

In article ,
says...
I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

Since there is no particular strength requirement for weights,
the metallurgy can vary all over the map, depending on what
other jobs the foundry has going on at the time. Lots of
places like to have extra "weight" molds on hand to use up
the remnants still in the crucible after major pours, so it
can vary from decent to the absolute grittiest, slaggiest
crap you have ever seen containing voids, rocks, etc.

If you don't mind risking an insert, chuck it up and make a
test cut and see how it behaves.

DoN. Nichols October 21st 05 06:19 AM

Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

According to Lloyd E. Sponenburgh :

"jtaylor" wrote in message
I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

Heh, heh! Bison brand faceplates are like window sash weights... so what's
that tell you?

I've machined Bison mounting plates for lathe chucks without any
problems. However, when I've tried to machine window sash weights (from
perhaps around 1950 or so, at a guess), they were terrible. Lots of
hard carbide inclusions -- some as large as a small grape.

I don't know about the weight which you have, however.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564