DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Logan taper attachment attachment (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/12486-logan-taper-attachment-attachment.html)

John Hall October 26th 03 01:53 AM

Logan taper attachment attachment

I'm thinking seriously about putting Thomas Morrison's taper attachment from
the October/November "Machinist's Workshop" on my to do list . His design is
for a Grizzley which seems to have a flat crossfeed carriage surface and tee
slots. My Logan has a curved, unslotted, unholed surface on the back side of
the crossfeed. The only soluton that comes to mind is to mill a flat on the
crossfeed carriage and drill and tap a couple of holes. Is there a better or
more elegant way? How are Logan factory taper attachments mounted ( assuming
they are of similar design )

any comments are welcome.
John

TSJABS October 26th 03 12:03 PM

Logan taper attachment attachment

What model of Logan lathe do you have?

tim

John Hall October 26th 03 12:48 PM

"TSJABS" wrote in message
What model of Logan lathe do you have?

tim

Sorry, I guess I figured that if I knew what it looked like everybody else
would too :-). Its's a model 201, 10" swing over the ways.

John

mikee October 26th 03 10:28 PM

Logan taper attachment attachment

http://www.lathe.com/images/pl-taper.gif

Here is a picture of one from the logan website. I'm not exactly suure how it
attaches, but it looks like you need to remove or disengage the crossfeed
leadscrew.

Mike Eberlein

Pete Logghe November 2nd 03 06:42 PM

John Hall wrote:

I'm thinking seriously about putting Thomas Morrison's taper attachment from
the October/November "Machinist's Workshop" on my to do list . His design is
for a Grizzley which seems to have a flat crossfeed carriage surface and tee
slots. My Logan has a curved, unslotted, unholed surface on the back side of
the crossfeed. The only soluton that comes to mind is to mill a flat on the
crossfeed carriage and drill and tap a couple of holes. Is there a better or
more elegant way? How are Logan factory taper attachments mounted ( assuming
they are of similar design )

any comments are welcome.
John

For the taper attatchment, the lead screw is splined/keyed to
the shaft on the handwheel.

The leadscrew can slide in and out relative to the handwheel.
The thrust bearing for the leadscrew is on the taper attatchment.

As long as the taper attatchment is not moving, it acts normally.

Pete