DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WOW - first a free lathe, now a free mill (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/124842-wow-first-free-lathe-now-free-mill.html)

[email protected] October 14th 05 01:42 PM

WOW - first a free lathe, now a free mill

Well, I'm going to pick up the south bend lathe this weekend.

This morning I was offered a free horizontal milling machine (circa
1900-1910) with tooling, dividing head, etc.

I don't know the make/model info, but it was from a Navy Ship and used
a line-drive off the ships powerplant. It now has a 3phase 220 V motor.

Now - if anyone wants to get rid of a vertical milling machine, cheap,
and in the Delaware/Philadelphia/Baltimore/So. Jersey area...

Tillman

Artemia Salina October 14th 05 06:32 PM

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:42:41 -0700, tillman.stevens wrote:

This morning I was offered a free horizontal milling machine (circa
1900-1910) with tooling, dividing head, etc.

Now - if anyone wants to get rid of a vertical milling machine, cheap,
and in the Delaware/Philadelphia/Baltimore/So. Jersey area...

Or, you could just mount an angle plate on the table, remove the arbor
and replace it with an appropriate-sized collet or endmill holder and
endmill and you'll have something similar to a vertical miller laying
on its back. Not as convenient to use as a vertical miller but takes
up much less space in the shop.

john October 16th 05 03:29 AM

Artemia Salina wrote:

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:42:41 -0700, tillman.stevens wrote:

This morning I was offered a free horizontal milling machine (circa
1900-1910) with tooling, dividing head, etc.

Now - if anyone wants to get rid of a vertical milling machine, cheap,
and in the Delaware/Philadelphia/Baltimore/So. Jersey area...

Or, you could just mount an angle plate on the table, remove the arbor
and replace it with an appropriate-sized collet or endmill holder and
endmill and you'll have something similar to a vertical miller laying
on its back. Not as convenient to use as a vertical miller but takes
up much less space in the shop.

If the horizontal mill has a dovetail overarm support, mount a
bridgeport style head on the end of it. If you get a good bridgeport
head, it will more functional than a regular bridgeport if the table
has auto feeds.

John

xstrange October 17th 05 04:02 AM

WOW - first a free lathe, now a free mill

Please let us know more about the mill when you get it home! I have a
personal fascination with machines from that era. I have a circa 1905
LeBlond No. 0 Horizontal Mill that I'm almost finished restoring. I'm
rigging it up with an authentic flat belt drive up to an overhead
countershaft, which is driven by a hidden variable speed DC motor.

Bruce Johnson