DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gearbox ventilation... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/12452-gearbox-ventilation.html)

Leo Reed October 23rd 03 09:45 PM

Gearbox ventilation...

Now, I've run into another situation that does not seem right. The
gearbox on my post hole digger has never been used. It was stored for
about 6 years.

When (about a month ago) I decided to assemble it, I added a teacup of
90w gearoil to the gearbox. (the label said it was dry, add oil) I only
put that small amount in order to flush out any debris that may have
accumulated while in storage.

Today, when I opened the drain to flush out the oil, so as to add new,
the plug popped out, the oil was under pressure.

Which brings up my questions... Should there be a relief hole in the
box? If not, won't the pressure rupture the seals?

Help, I'm treading in unknown waters, here!

Leo (pearland, tx)

Ralph Henrichs October 24th 03 01:04 AM

Gearbox ventilation...

Many of those small gearboxes run without vents. A sealed box keeps the
dust & moister out. Also don't leak when you lay it down.

Erik Litchy October 25th 03 12:08 AM

Gearbox ventilation...

Leo Reed wrote:

Now, I've run into another situation that does not seem right. The
gearbox on my post hole digger has never been used. It was stored for
about 6 years.

When (about a month ago) I decided to assemble it, I added a teacup of
90w gearoil to the gearbox. (the label said it was dry, add oil) I only
put that small amount in order to flush out any debris that may have
accumulated while in storage.

Today, when I opened the drain to flush out the oil, so as to add new,
the plug popped out, the oil was under pressure.

Which brings up my questions... Should there be a relief hole in the
box? If not, won't the pressure rupture the seals?

Help, I'm treading in unknown waters, here!

Leo (pearland, tx)

if it really bothered you you could use one of theose brass vents that
look like a cut wire.