DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   static phase converter question (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/12447-static-phase-converter-question.html)

Brian October 23rd 03 05:11 PM

static phase converter question

I've just purchased a Phase a Matic static converter, which is really just
an automatic start cap set up. It has no run caps. What is the benefit of
adding run caps, given that I don't plan to initially add an idler motor?
My feeling is that I will shunt some current to the third leg, balancing
things a bit better and gain some power from the motor, but I don't know how
to quantify this. Any advice?

Brian

DoN. Nichols October 24th 03 01:56 AM

static phase converter question

In article ,
Brian wrote:
I've just purchased a Phase a Matic static converter, which is really just
an automatic start cap set up. It has no run caps. What is the benefit of
adding run caps, given that I don't plan to initially add an idler motor?
My feeling is that I will shunt some current to the third leg, balancing
things a bit better and gain some power from the motor, but I don't know how
to quantify this. Any advice?

I've never done this, but I suspect that it would add some
improvement to the behavior for forward running, at the cost of making
reverse operation less powerful -- though it would not add *nearly* as
much benefit as you would get with a larger motor as an idler -- and it
*might* confuse the Phase-O-Matic enough so that it might not start
properly.

At a minimum, I would consider a power-factor tuning capacitor
might reduce nuisance circuit-breaker trips, if you are close to the
capacity of the existing circuit breaker.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

TLKALLAM8 October 24th 03 05:55 AM

static phase converter question

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html