DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   4" Abrasive cuttoff saw (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/124401-4-abrasive-cuttoff-saw.html)

Ed Huesers October 11th 05 05:27 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

Hey,
I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.
I had used a Con-Saw brand in a previous shop and liked it a lot.
Cutting a half inch ejector pin was a bit much for it but smaller sizes
worked great. Well, apparently Con-Saw went out of business.
So, I found a Wilton for under $500. Here's a link if you're not
familiar with what I'm talking about:
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=2307
I've heard of that tool company also, anyone got any thoughts?

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com

Chuck Sherwood October 11th 05 06:54 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

I have this one. Probably the same that penn tool sells but you
can get options from the manufacture that are not available from
some of the resellers.

http://www.coasteltools.com/prod_ct3.htm

I like it a lot. A standard abrasive blade cuts small things
1/4 inch or less quickly. Bigger things are a bit slow.

I use a Dart DC motor speed controller and a
3 inch slitting saw to cut wood, brass and plastic.

My friend mike has the wilton. The wilton is better for thick
steel opjects. I was surprised to see how fast it cut a large
3/8 pin.

chuck

[email protected] October 11th 05 09:59 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"
chop saw? Would something like
be remotely capable of doing what you need it to do (even if it were
from
a reputable company)?
I thought I saw an adapter table to turn a mini-grinder into a chop
saw somewhere too, but can't find it now. That, at least, sounds like
it would be cheesy...

Glenn Lyford

MOP CAP October 11th 05 10:39 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"
chop saw? Would something like
be remotely capable of doing what you need it to do (even if it were
from
a reputable company)?
I thought I saw an adapter table to turn a mini-grinder into a chop
saw somewhere too, but can't find it now. That, at least, sounds like
it would be cheesy...

Glenn Lyford

Harbor Freight has this table adaptor for around $13 when not on sale.
Don't recall the PN.

Chuck P.

Koz October 12th 05 12:00 AM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

MOP CAP wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"
chop saw? Would something like
be remotely capable of doing what you need it to do (even if it were
from
a reputable company)?
I thought I saw an adapter table to turn a mini-grinder into a chop
saw somewhere too, but can't find it now. That, at least, sounds like
it would be cheesy...

Glenn Lyford

Harbor Freight has this table adaptor for around $13 when not on sale.
Don't recall the PN.

Chuck P.

And it is pretty cheesy....one of those "get you by in a pinch" things
but I wouldn't want to use it for more than emergencies.

(one liner posted just so there would be more than OT posts to look at)

Daniel A. Mitchell October 12th 05 03:41 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

wrote:

I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"
chop saw? Would something like
be remotely capable of doing what you need it to do (even if it were
from
a reputable company)?
I thought I saw an adapter table to turn a mini-grinder into a chop
saw somewhere too, but can't find it now. That, at least, sounds like
it would be cheesy...

Glenn Lyford

There are a whole bunch of mini chop-saws that amount pretty much to a
4" angle grinder mounted in a stand. Typically they sell for about $40
new. HF has one version. They also have a micro version that takes about
2" wheels ... it actually works quite well for small jobs.

There are even, as you say, adapters that let you use a regular angle
grinder.

Dan Mitchell
============

Chuck Sherwood October 12th 05 07:36 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"

Must be low volume. A little cutoff saw can do lots of things
that a big one cannot. Like cut small screws, HSS toolbits,
piano wire etc. The blade is only 1/32 wide.

I can also put a slitting saw blade in my coastel saw and cut
thin brass tubing wood, plastic etc.

chuck

Ed Huesers October 18th 05 05:22 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
I'm looking for a 4" abrasive cutoff saw and finding that they are
pretty expensive for what they are.

What do these do that make them so much more expensive than a 14"

Must be low volume.

More than likely. Of all the mold shops I've worked in, there has
only been one 4" chop saw. That was the Con-Saw one and it worked quite
well on a 3/8" ejector pin and did work on a 1/2" well enough if you
didn't have to many to do.

A little cutoff saw can do lots of things
that a big one cannot. Like cut small screws, HSS toolbits,
piano wire etc. The blade is only 1/32 wide.

Yeah, it's better than wearing down the corner of the grinding wheel
so you can break the tool bit. I like my wheel corners sharp for
thinning the web of small drills.

I can also put a slitting saw blade in my coastel saw and cut
thin brass tubing wood, plastic etc.

I've got one job that is 1/8 X 1 aluminum bar stock. I'll try it on
that once I find one.
Heh, I found the Harbor Freight one on E-Bay for $26 [new] and have
received it. It'll go to my home shop, maybe when I get old I'll be into
making models or something. It struggled to cut a 1/4" ejector pin and
an 1/8" one was bad enough.
I see the $450 unit has 1/2 hp. and this one:
http://www.coasteltools.com/prod_ct3.htm has 1/5 hp.
I think I'd better pay for what I want.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com

Chuck Sherwood October 18th 05 06:33 PM

4" Abrasive cuttoff saw

I see the $450 unit has 1/2 hp. and this one:
http://www.coasteltools.com/prod_ct3.htm has 1/5 hp.
I think I'd better pay for what I want.

Mike Henry has the wilton and I was impressed to watch it cut
3/8 steel rod. Its a 4 inch saw and seems to have lots of power.

I have the normal coastel tool saw with the optional vise. It
does well with 1/4 and less. Takes a bit to cut 3/8. The HD
motor might make a difference. This is a 3 inch saw and has
less power than the wilton but I like the vise better and it
was cheaper (ordered directly from coaster). I have found that
using a ceramic blade helps greatly with HSS toolbits.

Keep in mind that the wilton is a 4 inch saw and the and the
coastel is a 3 inch. A 4 inch disc could be fitted if you remove
the blade guard and fab a bigger one. I do not recommend running
it without a guard!

Coastel pushs their blades and charge excessively for them. I
ordered several different blades from J&L and I like the Hertel
ceramic discs the best. I even tried the Norton Norzon. I
dont remember the specifics but I do know that I decided on
the Hertel ceramic. Look for Hertel ceramic abrasive cutoff disc.