~Roy

Default The "official" word from Krylon

Surprised me that they responded so quick to my question on usuing
Fusion paint on Plexiglass, but their rely was simply they do not have
any products that are compatable with coating any plexi or
lexans........They said the sovents and other ingredients will melt
the material........or possibly discolor it.....Well if its painted so
what if its discolored under the paint. I just sprayed the aquarium
hood with a can of semi gloss black, in light coats, and once it was
covered I laid on a wet coat......I experimented last night, and the
stuff I painted you could not scrape it off with your fingernail this
morning...Anyway project is done, just waiting for one more power
compact light assembly to get here and it will be finished totally.

"The original frugal ponder"
Harold and Susan Vordos

"~Roy" wrote in message
Surprised me that they responded so quick to my question on usuing
Fusion paint on Plexiglass, but their rely was simply they do not have
any products that are compatable with coating any plexi or
lexans........They said the sovents and other ingredients will melt
the material........or possibly discolor it.....Well if its painted so
what if its discolored under the paint. I just sprayed the aquarium
hood with a can of semi gloss black, in light coats, and once it was
covered I laid on a wet coat......I experimented last night, and the
stuff I painted you could not scrape it off with your fingernail this
morning...Anyway project is done, just waiting for one more power
compact light assembly to get here and it will be finished totally.

The problem you're likely to encounter is the inability of Plexiglas to
resist the solvents. You often get considerable crazing, although I'm not
sure if it would occur immediately, or in the near future. I've ruined
Plexiglas that way in the distant past, but it likely depends on the solvent
in question. If it's still intact in a couple days, showing no signs of
cracking, looks to me like you beat the problem. Let us know.

Harold

~Roy

I don;t know what solvents or thinners Krylon uses, but it dries very
fast, so hopefully it did evaporate readily before it altered the
integrity of the plexi to any great extent..........I just have too
much work in this hood, but I do feel confident it will be ok. I had
quite a few light coats on it so evaporation was pretty
quick.......although sometimes rapid evaporaton accelerates potential
problems, but its usually in the form of the paints wrinkling
etc........Anyway I feel pretty confident with it working.

If I had the $$ I owuld have bought solid colored black plexi and been
done with it, but the distributor here will not cut a sheet of tinted
or solid color plexi. They will cut clear but not colored. And I would
have had to buy a sheet of 1/8, as well as 1/4". I have a barn full of
all kinds of other colors, and a heap of clear and tinted I got for
free in all sizes and thickness, as well as a heap of all kinds of
polycarbonates, fiberglass, textures, nylon, and polyethlene type
plastics........just begging to be made into something. My shop
anymore looks like a snowstorm.......its been a summer long affair of
making acrylic projects since I acquired all those sheets, and very
little metal working projects.........

I have a few full sheets of bullet resist acrylic, (1" and 1 1/4" and
some 3/4") I had wanted to use to make a large capacity aquarium out
of but found out it does not solvent weld, and needs to be joined and
attached with mechanical means, as solvents will cause it to
delaminate.....Would have made a fine sal****er fish tank of unreal
size.......Its amazing what large companies will throw out when they
move, and not want to move or relocate it. The company I got all this
plastic material from relocated to a larger building across the street
from where they originally were at, and they threw out tons of
perfectly good stuff..........

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 00:53:03 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

===
==="~Roy" wrote in message
et...
[...]

daniel peterman

There are extruded acrylics and cast acrylics. They seem to react
different to solvents. If you polished the edges you might get more
crazing. I have handled probably about an acre of acrylics over the
years and used all sorts of solvents around it. The stuff is really
quite resistant to anything except methylene chloride which is used to
fuse the edges of cut sheets.

Roger Shoaf

"~Roy" wrote in message

I have a few full sheets of bullet resist acrylic, (1" and 1 1/4" and
some 3/4") I had wanted to use to make a large capacity aquarium out
of but found out it does not solvent weld, and needs to be joined and
attached with mechanical means, as solvents will cause it to
delaminate.....Would have made a fine sal****er fish tank of unreal
size...

So make the fish tank with big rubber gaskets and some nice stainless steel
fixtures to clamp the plexi to the gaskets.

Also the solvent bonding warning only applies to bonding the edges. If you
were to bond to the face of the plastic it would be no different than
bonding regular plexi.

I bet if you face bonded some square Plexiglas to the inside corners that
might overcome the delaminating problems also.

Just a thought.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

~Roy

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:20:59 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

===
==="~Roy" wrote in message
t...
===

snip

===
===So make the fish tank with big rubber gaskets and some nice stainless steel
===fixtures to clamp the plexi to the gaskets.

I had thought about using a sealant and enclosing it all in a
stainless fraame, just like the old time tanks were made prior to the
advent of all glass with silicone seals.......
===
===Also the solvent bonding warning only applies to bonding the edges. If you
===were to bond to the face of the plastic it would be no different than
===bonding regular plexi.

This is true, as long as I don;t apply solvent to the edges its fine
to bond to on the face
===
===I bet if you face bonded some square Plexiglas to the inside corners that
===might overcome the delaminating problems also.

I had also thought about this. I was thinking of making enought
chamfered strips (like a rightangle triangle affair, with the two legs
of the triangle being equal to at least the thickness of edges, and
solvent weld it in the corners......Be double the normal amount of
solvent welded seams overall, but it has a possibility. Having
chamfered inside corners would make life a lot easier as well as
corners are always a pain in a fish tank.....
===
===Just a thought.

thanks for your thoughts on this.

"The original frugal ponder"
Martin H. Eastburn

Default The "official" word from Krylon was the graphic color guy webtv

Text this time...

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

daniel peterman wrote:
There are extruded acrylics and cast acrylics. They seem to react
different to solvents. If you polished the edges you might get more
crazing. I have handled probably about an acre of acrylics over the
years and used all sorts of solvents around it. The stuff is really
quite resistant to anything except methylene chloride which is used to
fuse the edges of cut sheets.

Dear Roy,

I have been using Plexiglas acrylic and Krylon paints, mostly their
standard indoor/outdoor gloss enamel, for over twenty years with no
incidence of what they warn you about. The Krylon solvent evaporates
extremely quickly, being touch dry in only a few minutes. Once you have
sanded down the surface with 220 wet and dry, you can first use a
Krylon primer, preferably a sandable one, or apply the Gloss directly
to the Plexiglas surface. I would guess that they are just covering
their rear ends :-)

The extruded plex, 'MC' is a lot more likely to be crazed by solvents,
but still should be okay for Krylon, but when in doubt sticl to
plexiglas 'G'. Perhaps their new fusion paint, which is supposed to be
for plastics, isn't as good as they hoped?
richard in Los Angeles.

New Krylon Spray Paint - Don't Bake It?? BEAR Metalworking 3 September 27th 05 01:50 AM
OT- Tancredo Calls for Border Official to Resign - Dereliction of Duty Gunner Metalworking 4 May 23rd 05 06:17 PM
word wrap SwampBug Woodworking 4 January 2nd 05 11:23 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM