DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tool Gloat (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/122028-tool-gloat.html)

Errol Groff September 23rd 05 09:12 PM

Tool Gloat

Last Sunday I stopped into an auction and was able to pick up an AMMCO
7" shaper for the piddling sum of $20.00

A bit rough around the edges but should make a nice overhaul project
when I finish the steam engine that I am working on now.

Hmmm. Do I picture a 2 axis CNC conversion here?

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

[email protected] September 24th 05 12:36 AM

Wow bargain! Any chance of some pics?

CNC shaping machine sounds like a hoot!

Errol Groff September 24th 05 12:52 AM

The dmachine is at school. If I remember to take the digital camera
on Monday I will post some pictures Monday evening.

Be warned though it isn't pretty now but the potential is there.

Errol

Fred R September 24th 05 12:56 AM

Errol Groff wrote:
Last Sunday I stopped into an auction and was able to pick up an AMMCO
7" shaper for the piddling sum of $20.00

A bit rough around the edges but should make a nice overhaul project
when I finish the steam engine that I am working on now.

Hmmm. Do I picture a 2 axis CNC conversion here?

Errol Groff

Errol,
A truly worthy gloat!

I keep having delusions of CNC+Shaper too - growing from a simple idea
for stops at limits of feed travel, then adding programmable feed, then
getting all carried away with controlled tool slide and 'contouring'.
Very do-able; I have just refrained because it is sooooo easy to make so
much stuff *for* the shop that I don't get anything made *with* the shop.

I have settled (for the present) on a magnetic starter with a central
limit switch in series with the hold relay. A slide trips the switch at
either limit of travel.
--
Fred R

Martin H. Eastburn September 24th 05 04:00 AM

Some get all of the toys.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life