Todd Rich

Default Engraving block

(Also posted in rec.crafts.jewelry)

Well, in an effort to expand my range of enameling techniques, I'm trying
to add engraving under the enamel. I'm going to be making a budget block
to get started. I'll be slicing off 1/3rd of a bowling ball and adding a
vise. I was going to get a drill press vise and replace the jaws with
derlin or nylon or something similar, but looking around, I was wondering
if it would be better to get one of these
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K57E257DB (long ebay link, worksafe) and
remove the handle and attach it to the base.

Also, I noticed these as well http://makeashorterlink.com/?S3AE137DB which
seems to be a very good price. Would I be better off to just cough up the
$250 for it rather than making my own block? I'm reasonably competent at
making my own tools, as long as they aren't horribly intricate.
Todd

I have a bowling ball with a flat area cut on it and a plywood base
with a hole to hold it.

I have hardly used it. But my thoughts are to secure anything I want
to engrave with either double backed tape or pitch ( if tape won't work
).

Dan

Jim McGill

Todd

I've used one of those vises that they're selling on Ebay. They're
awesome. And $215 is an outright steal of a price. They're usually
$500. If you're serious about doing engraving, get the right tools.

That vise is absolutely the right tool. Fun as it is to make your own
tools (I've done it a lot), it sometimes pays to just buy the real thing
up front.

Jim