DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Homebrewing a more aggressive buffing compound from tripoli brown (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/121807-homebrewing-more-aggressive-buffing-compound-tripoli-brown.html)

Shon Shampain September 22nd 05 02:51 PM

Homebrewing a more aggressive buffing compound from tripoli brown

I am having a hard time finding the black buffing compound where I am,
and I was wondering if anyone had fashioned a more aggressive cutting
compound using the brown tripoli as a base, and adding "something"
(hopefully a common item). Any help appreciated.

trevor jones September 23rd 05 03:41 AM

Shon Shampain wrote:
I am having a hard time finding the black buffing compound where I am,
and I was wondering if anyone had fashioned a more aggressive cutting
compound using the brown tripoli as a base, and adding "something"
(hopefully a common item). Any help appreciated.

I think mailorder is probably your best bet.

You might get somewhere with the lapping compound melted in the mix,
thoug I am thinking that the finest of that you are likely to find might
be pretty coarse compared to the brown polish.

Would you not be better off to sand the object a bit, maybe a flapper
wheel type sander?

I worked part time in a bike shop doing polishing on aluminum parts,
and we did an awful lot of the work with sandpaper before the shop
bought another polishing lathe and started buying assorted greasless
compounds to load the wheels with.

Cheers
Trevor Jones