Waynemak

Default Keeping MICE out of equipment???

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

RoyJ

Mothballs are somewhat effective. Put some fresh ones inside the cases
during migration season.

Waynemak wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

wmbjk

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:20:49 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

What you need is a herd of meat-eating centipedes.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/mouse.jpg

I emailed that photo to a friend of mine and he found it a bit
disturbing. He thought the critter was dead. Then I told him that not
only was it alive, it wouldn't let go of the mouse. My friend said
that if it had appeared in *his* shop, he'd have gone straight for his
..357. ;-)

Wayne
Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Waynemak" wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

A hard-working cat can help, but the best thing for equipment (ie,
places to hide from the cat in) is tiny-mesh hardware cloth covering up
all the openings. If you also tighten up the building with hardware
cloth and polyurethane foam that provides another level of slowing them
down, and keeps the building a bit warmer as a side effect. Cleaning up
as much other clutter (mouse hiding places and nesting supplies) as
possible will also help.

Mothballs deter some, don't seem to bother others. Poison gets some,
doesn't seem to bother others. Sticky traps and ye-olde mechanical traps
nail the ones that get into them. I don't even bother to bait mechanical
traps anymore - just set them in the corner of wall and floor where the
beasties run. Etc...

jim rozen

In article , Waynemak says...

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

Gunner would ship you a couple of cats for a very minimal fee....

Jim

please reply to:
Jon Danniken

"Ignoramus26924" wrote:
Waynemak wrote:
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on

how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but

anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

I have used poison to keep mice out of my shed that houses my hens
and their feed.

The problem with that is whatever might eat the mouse gets sick. Cats,
dogs, birds, all of them are known to eat dead mice, and don't deserve the
poison meal.

Jon

Jim & Lil

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but
anything else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

Hi Wayne,

Try here
http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/...ent.html#rp110
My brother in law swears by the plug in trap that emits a high
pitched squeel that can't be heard of by the human ear. He used it in his
quonset to keep mice out of his combine and tractor. I also park our
motorhome in this building and have has no mice in it since he started using
it.( we had a few perviouse years).

I respectfully disagree with the other posters saying to use poison as
mice will pick some of the damndest places to die...then you have you have
the smell and a body to look for. Traps are good as the trap would "Anchor"
them so you can at least find them to dispose them. I reccomend a
combination of traps and this squeel emitter seen at that link. I see that
the link is in the UK as all I did was google searched pest control...I know
they can be bought in the States and Canada with a better search... Hope
that was of some help....Jim

Fred R

wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

What you need is a herd of meat-eating centipedes.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/mouse.jpg

I emailed that photo to a friend of mine and he found it a bit
disturbing. He thought the critter was dead. Then I told him that not
only was it alive, it wouldn't let go of the mouse. My friend said
that if it had appeared in *his* shop, he'd have gone straight for his
.357. ;-)

Wayne

That is one *mean* looking bug! Where do they live? I don't want to go
there. Ready-made B horror flick monster.

--
Fred R
________________
Jon Danniken

"Ignoramus26924" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
"Ignoramus26924" wrote:
Waynemak wrote:
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips

on
how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but

anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

I have used poison to keep mice out of my shed that houses my hens
and their feed.

The problem with that is whatever might eat the mouse gets sick. Cats,
dogs, birds, all of them are known to eat dead mice, and don't deserve

the
poison meal.

That thought never occurred to me, but I must say that I have yet to
see a stray dog or cat wandering around my yard. I will keep this in
mind and think about it a little more.

The poisoned mouse can travel a ways farther than your property before it
dies.

Jon

Bob Engelhardt

I have been battling mice in my house for 30+ years. I haven't used
poison 'cause I didn't want them dying in the walls and smelling.
Spring traps are OK, but I don't like handling the dead ones and
resetting the traps. Last year I found the most effective trap so far,
it might have been here, I can't remember.

Anyhow, it is a 5 gallon bucket with a rod (3/16" +-) across the top,
through a hole on each side. On the rod is a plastic bottle (2" diam
+-), the rod through a hole in it's cap and bottom. I.e., the rod is
through the bottle's axis. There is a ramp (1 x 1 +-) on the outboard
end of the rod, down to the ground. Peanut butter is smeared on the
bottle and water is added to the bucket, a few inches deep.

The mice go up the ramp, step onto the bottle for the peanut butter.
The bottle rotates and dumps them in the water where they drown. The
water & mice are dumped in the toilet for disposal. One nice feature is
that it doesn't have to be reset to catch more mice. I once had 12 in
it when I didn't check for a week.

HTH
Bob
jw

Downy sheets. Several boaters around here have this issue with
critters every time this part of the year. Started putting downy
sheets in the various nooks and crannies and haven't seen any mice
since.

"Old school" mothballs used to work pretty effectively, but I think the
formulation has changed as that doesn't seem to be as effective
anymore.

JW

Wayne Cook

wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

What you need is a herd of meat-eating centipedes.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/mouse.jpg

I emailed that photo to a friend of mine and he found it a bit
disturbing. He thought the critter was dead. Then I told him that not
only was it alive, it wouldn't let go of the mouse. My friend said
that if it had appeared in *his* shop, he'd have gone straight for his
.357. ;-)

Wayne

That is one *mean* looking bug! Where do they live? I don't want to go
there. Ready-made B horror flick monster.

You're not kidding. We have those around here though not many thank
goodness. It's one of the few things that'll make me jumpy. You would
be especially jumpy if you've ever seen how fast one of those things
can move. I once emptied a shotgun into one at point blank range when
one popped out while I was reaching for a dove I'd shot. It didn't
even phase the centipede but it made a pretty good sized hole in the
ground.

I can take rattle snakes ok (I do get into a real heightened
awareness mode when ones around) and most anything else won't even
phase me. Wasps, spiders, and anything like that don't bother me in
the least. But those large centipedes really put the fear in me.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Ecnerwal

In article ,

I wrote:
If you also tighten up the building with hardware
cloth and polyurethane foam that provides another level of slowing them
down, and keeps the building a bit warmer as a side effect. Cleaning up
as much other clutter (mouse hiding places and nesting supplies) as
possible will also help.

Ignoramus26924 wrote:

mice chewed through my polyurethane foam...

That's why you put hardware cloth in place before foaming.

Fred R

Ignoramus26924 wrote:

mice chewed through my polyurethane foam...

Hmmm ... sprinkle some metal chips on the foam as it sets? The stuff has
certainly damaged me often enough. Might as well use what ya' got!

--
Fred R
________________

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:22:32 GMT, Fred R "spam wrote:
Ignoramus26924 wrote:

mice chewed through my polyurethane foam...

Hmmm ... sprinkle some metal chips on the foam as it sets? The stuff has
certainly damaged me often enough. Might as well use what ya' got!

Steel wool with Great Stuff seems to work for me.

Eric R Snow

Ignoramus26924 wrote:

mice chewed through my polyurethane foam...

Hmmm ... sprinkle some metal chips on the foam as it sets? The stuff has
certainly damaged me often enough. Might as well use what ya' got!

I have a mouse hole to patch up, and I will use broken glass instead
of chips. Maybe I will do it today.

I've been killing lots of mice the last few days. My shop has become
infested. Mouse traps are, to me, the best solution to mice already in
the shop because they kill fast. I like the idea of hardware cloth in
the foam. But dislike the idea of broken glass. I think the broken
glass would deter the mice by slowly killing them from the cuts they
would recieve. That seems cruel to me. Better to kill them fast if
they must be killed.
Eric
Joe AutoDrill

The problem with that is whatever might eat the mouse gets sick. Cats,
dogs, birds, all of them are known to eat dead mice, and don't deserve the
poison meal.

And I don't deserve the $1100 bill I jsut had on my car for their close
relatives, the chipmunks - eating the wiring harness and destorying the
internal computer. The adjuster is decising whether I need the $1100 repair
or a whole new harness which puts it dangerously close to being totaled...

When poisioned, they go to their den and bleed out then die. If your cat,
dog or bird goes into mice dens, they will get sick. But I will not lose
thousands of dollars because of unsecured dogs or cats and the birds won't
go extinct because of my small efforts.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Pete Snell

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Ignoramus26924" wrote:

That thought never occurred to me, but I must say that I have yet to
see a stray dog or cat wandering around my yard. I will keep this in
mind and think about it a little more.

The poisoned mouse can travel a ways farther than your property before it
dies.

T'is true. Our family dog nearly died after eating a poisoned rat in
our backyard. The next door neighbour's dogs were both very sick (bit
rats but didn't eat them). It was the neighbour beyond them that
poisoned the rats. About 100 meters away. All yards are fenced, so it
was the rat that staggered into our yard, not our dog going into their yard.

Incidentally, if you suspect your pet has been poisoned with rodent
bait, immediately remove all sources of food and water, and get them to
the vet ASAP.

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
Ted Edwards

Waynemak wrote:
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

A cat. When we first moved to the Okanagan from North Vancouver, our
cat stayed behind with my son who was living in the house. That year I
trapped 23 mice in the cabin. (We have a cabin on the property where we
were/are building our new home.) When the house sold we brought the cat
up here. Never saw anything more of mice except a very occasional tail
out on the porch. BTW, females are generally better hunters than males.

Ted

wmbjk

wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

What you need is a herd of meat-eating centipedes.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/mouse.jpg

I emailed that photo to a friend of mine and he found it a bit
disturbing. He thought the critter was dead. Then I told him that not
only was it alive, it wouldn't let go of the mouse. My friend said
that if it had appeared in *his* shop, he'd have gone straight for his
.357. ;-)

Wayne

That is one *mean* looking bug! Where do they live? I don't want to go
there. Ready-made B horror flick monster.

Northwest Arizona. I don't see them often, and when I do they're just
trying to get back under whatever I moved that exposed them.

The creepiness of the centipedes got me thinking... real estate prices
here are rising quickly, which probably means I could end up with more
human neighbors than I'd like. There's not much I can do about it,
except this - http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/frightnight.htm EG

Wayne
Eric R Snow

Ignoramus26924 wrote:

mice chewed through my polyurethane foam...

Hmmm ... sprinkle some metal chips on the foam as it sets? The stuff has
certainly damaged me often enough. Might as well use what ya' got!

I have a mouse hole to patch up, and I will use broken glass instead
of chips. Maybe I will do it today.

I've been killing lots of mice the last few days. My shop has become
infested. Mouse traps are, to me, the best solution to mice already in
the shop because they kill fast. I like the idea of hardware cloth in
the foam. But dislike the idea of broken glass. I think the broken
glass would deter the mice by slowly killing them from the cuts they
would recieve. That seems cruel to me. Better to kill them fast if
they must be killed.
Eric

I doubt that the mice are so stupid as to continue trying to chew
their way through broken glass. That would be counterintuitive.

That's why they walk past a dead mouse in a mouse trap and try to eat
the bait in the trap next to it.
ERS
Eric R Snow

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:27:44 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Waynemak wrote:
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

A cat. When we first moved to the Okanagan from North Vancouver, our
cat stayed behind with my son who was living in the house. That year I
trapped 23 mice in the cabin. (We have a cabin on the property where we
were/are building our new home.) When the house sold we brought the cat
up here. Never saw anything more of mice except a very occasional tail
out on the porch. BTW, females are generally better hunters than males.

Ted

As are well fed cats. They will catch many more when they have plenty
of energy to burn.
ERS
carl mciver

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
| Waynemak wrote:
| Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on
how
| to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but
anything
| else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.
|
| A cat. When we first moved to the Okanagan from North Vancouver, our
| cat stayed behind with my son who was living in the house. That year I
| trapped 23 mice in the cabin. (We have a cabin on the property where we
| were/are building our new home.) When the house sold we brought the cat
| up here. Never saw anything more of mice except a very occasional tail
| out on the porch. BTW, females are generally better hunters than males.
|
| Ted

I second that. When we were kids we always had cats, so I didn't
realize there was an ulterior motive. As we got older, my mother managed to
keep a couple stray, mostly feral cats around the place (my brother hated
them, so when the last one died on the road, my mother was convinced he had
something to do with it. Being that I was the one with the shovel, I kinda
doubted that he could catch that damn thing whether he wanted to or not!)
and there was always zero rats. The only thing that was ever annoying was
that the best rat catcher would always go to one spot in the store room to
enjoy its kill, so when I cleaned out the store room a few years ago, the
pile of dried carcasses and half skeletons made for a lovely smell in the
Texas heat!
Go to the pound and find the wildest two or three you can find. Feed
them well with cat food and some reasonably fresh meat and keep 'em in big
cages or locked in a room for a few days. Then let them go, but make sure
that they always have a bowl of food that's safe from raccoons and whatever
but never full enough to satisfy them. Water should be plentiful, though.
They will be afraid of you and steer clear, so as long as you see them
around every now and then you'll be fine.
Then again, Boeing put up some cats in their aircraft assembly plants to
keep the rodents down. The cats grew so happy and enjoyed the place so much
they multiplied like crazy. Then cats became more of a problem than the
rodents! Like mentioned before, keeping them all female helps, providing
you can keep other cats from making it in for a late night dip with the
pussy (pun intended) population.

jim rozen

In article , wmbjk says...

What you need is a herd of meat-eating centipedes.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/mouse.jpg

Those are mean.

My dad had a display setup in his office, with millipedes, tarantulas,
and some *large* south african centipedes.

He would handle any of them to show them off to vistors, except
the centipedes. Those were handled with long, long forceps.

They move unbelieveably fast, and have terrific venom. They
are remarkably strong, tough, and flexible.

They can put a serious world of hurt on small adults and children.

Basically highly evolved killing machines.

Jim

please reply to:

Gerald Miller

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:53:25 -0600, "Jim & Lil"
wrote:

"Waynemak" wrote in message
[...]

An installer of commercial alarm systems told me, back in 1966, that
any location in which he had installed an ultrasonic motion detector,
never had a mouse problem thereafter. Hearsay evidence only, I have
never tried this myself.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

On 22 Sep 2005 09:25:01 -0700, "jw" wrote:

Downy sheets. Several boaters around here have this issue with
critters every time this part of the year. Started putting downy
sheets in the various nooks and crannies and haven't seen any mice
since.

"Old school" mothballs used to work pretty effectively, but I think the
formulation has changed as that doesn't seem to be as effective
anymore.

JW

Don't know about mice, but about every five years, skunks take up
residence under the back shed; I toss in a dozen mothballs and they
relocate under the neighbour's shed who then calls in the wildlife
control guy two doors further along.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

wrote:

Waynemak wrote:
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

A cat. When we first moved to the Okanagan from North Vancouver, our
cat stayed behind with my son who was living in the house. That year I
trapped 23 mice in the cabin. (We have a cabin on the property where we
were/are building our new home.) When the house sold we brought the cat
up here. Never saw anything more of mice except a very occasional tail
out on the porch. BTW, females are generally better hunters than males.

Ted

Especially if they have kittens about a month old. This is how the
summer residents of Pelee Island used to open their cottages for the
summer. Every winter the year round residents organized cat hunts to
protect their Pheasant industry.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Lew Hartswick

Ignoramus26924 wrote:

I have a mouse hole to patch up, and I will use broken glass instead
of chips. Maybe I will do it today.

Reminds me of the joke my dad told about the girls talking about how
their dads got rid of rats. Several talked about poison and traps
etc. whaen one said her dad pounds glass in their holes. One
(the blond) said who holds them?
Well it was funny to me about 60 yrs ago.
...lew...

trevor jones

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

Dunno if I posted that one here or not, but I have been using the same
rig for a few years now and with good results.

In the winter (so this really is selectivly applicable) I use an inch
or so of antifreeze in the bucket. It will stay liquid and kills the
mice very fast, between the temperature and the ingestion thereof.

I place it where there is adequate access for the mice to climb beside
the bucket and I have no critters loose in my shop.

Had I creatures roaming, I expect the solution would be to form a
largish plastic funnel for the victim to slide dowm to it's doom. The
smaller opening would keep the interested out.

We had great success with catching mice in large steel salad bowls
that were used for the dogs' dishes. The mice would slide down the sides
to get at the last crunbs of kibble, and when they tried to get out, all
they could do was to scrabble up the sides 'till they lost traction.
When they jumped, they could only go straight up, and landed back in the
bowl. The most we got was three at once, pinging around like a furry
pinball game. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Martin H. Eastburn

Maybe nail mice hides up on the shop wall at mouse level - Seems to me that was done
with wolves and other varmints.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Waynemak wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on
how to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but
anything else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

Martin H. Eastburn

That is one heavy duty centipede! - I thought I had some good sized in the Red wood forest.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

What you need is a herd of meat-eating centipedes.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/mouse.jpg

I emailed that photo to a friend of mine and he found it a bit
disturbing. He thought the critter was dead. Then I told him that not
only was it alive, it wouldn't let go of the mouse. My friend said
that if it had appeared in *his* shop, he'd have gone straight for his
.357. ;-)

Wayne

Martin H. Eastburn

Make a welcome to the neighborhood booklet :-)

Maybe prices will drop or houses vacant. New Shops!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Just thought -

We all live under the view of overflying hawks, eagles, owls and the like.
(we have to watch out for our little dog!) - So like slugs - put out plates of beer!
The left over beer when you have to run the neighbor home because it is late...
Or the ones that go flat...

Maybe it will make them drunk - and just not think of what they are doing or not doing...

Yell - here birdie a lot.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus26924 wrote:

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

If traps are used - use peanut button and a tie wrap on the trip plate.
Make sure the peanut butter is over the whole mess - not to much -

The mouse/rat will grab the wire and shake its head! - Every time.
Martin [ no charge for a good method ]
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Jim & Lil wrote:
"Waynemak" wrote in message

[...]

Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus26924 wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:26:50 GMT, Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
"Waynemak" wrote:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

A hard-working cat can help, but the best thing for equipment (ie,
places to hide from the cat in) is tiny-mesh hardware cloth covering up
all the openings. If you also tighten up the building with hardware
cloth and polyurethane foam that provides another level of slowing them
down, and keeps the building a bit warmer as a side effect. Cleaning up
as much other clutter (mouse hiding places and nesting supplies) as
possible will also help.

mice chewed through my polyurethane foam...

If your welder is as big as Iggy's, maybe you could convert one room to
a cat box?

Chris

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:20:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Waynemak" quickly quoth:

Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

Screen over any opening larger than 1/3".

For the traps, peanut butter is the top draw, but anything which has
been sprinkled with garlic works quite well, too. Put mouse traps next
to rat traps to catch both sizes. Toss them after one catch. Rats can
catch the scent of death on one and avoid it. They also can smell
poison from a dead rat and know to avoid the stuff in the future.

* Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
* laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
* shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:25:59 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus26924 quickly quoth:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:20:49 -0400, Waynemak wrote:
Its going to get cold out and that means the mice come in. Any tips on how
to keep them out of my welders in the garage? I will set traps but anything
else to prevent the little PITAs out of my stuff.

I have used poison to keep mice out of my shed that houses my hens
and their feed.

That's damned dangerous, Iggy. Remind me to never accept an omelet
from you.

* Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
* laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
* shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:26:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ecnerwal quickly quoth:

In article ,
"Waynemak" wrote:

[...]

I had great luck in LoCal with empty traps. I'd face them against the
wall so the mouse would accidentally step on the trigger as it ran
through and get nailed (a dozen freebies.) Cracked me up, it did.

__________________ any wall where they run_________
| ____________
| | __ |
| -- | |oo| | --- path of mouse