R.H.

Default What is it? LXXX

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

AL

463. Knee kicker for installing carpet.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking.

460: Dunno
461: Looks like a spreader / stretcher. For "O" rings? I use a similar
tool to spread automotive battery terminals over posts??
462: Dunno
463: Dunno
464: Compound guillotine. Probably for cutting wire.
465: We used to call those PV's ( or maybe pikes) only ours were about
6' long. Lineman use them to help maneuver poles around. Good for
beating back bulls when in the cow pastures.
Norman D. Crow

460 ?
461 ?
462 ?
463 ?(backscratcher for Sasquatch?)
464 Dehorning shear for cattle.
465 Peavey

--
Nahmie

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Jonathan Wilson

is 461 something for making ice-cream cones?

Fred R

461 and 462 - Early OB/GYN speculum and curette

--
Fred R
________________
Duane Bozarth

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

R.H. wrote:

A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

464: Compound guillotine. Probably for cutting wire.

Nope--dehorning shears

Big John

R.H. wrote:
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

454. Telephone amplifier, sold by Radio Shack

Big John

Duane Bozarth

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

464: Compound guillotine. Probably for cutting wire.

Nope--dehorning shears

Okay, works for me!

I use these far too regularly to be fooled on that one...

Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

460 -

461 - Looks like a tool used to plant bulbs in the ground. Push the tip
in and squeeze the handles to make a hole the correct size.

462 - Skimming ladle?

463 - face of a carpet stretcher head

464 - Dehorning shears, fresh out of the blaster...

465 - Peavy, used to move logs and poles around. AKA cant hook

Buddy Matlosz

465 - Peavy, used to move logs and poles around. AKA cant hook

Not quite the same. The photo shows a Peavy; the cant hook is similar but
has no point on the end.

B.

Gerald Miller

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:18:07 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

460 -

461 - Looks like a tool used to plant bulbs in the ground. Push the tip
in and squeeze the handles to make a hole the correct size.

462 - Skimming ladle?

463 - face of a carpet stretcher head

464 - Dehorning shears, fresh out of the blaster...

465 - Peavy, used to move logs and poles around. AKA cant hook

I agree with the "peavy" nomenclature, but a "cant hook" has a splay
point at right angles to the axis of the handle to assist in the
rolling function. You can pull a log with a properly applied cant
hook,

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
DoN. Nichols

According to Norman D. Crow :
460 ?
461 ?
462 ?
463 ?(backscratcher for Sasquatch?)
464 Dehorning shear for cattle.
465 Peavey

For whatever reason, your original article hasn't arrived here
yet, so I will reply to this one.

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

460) Device for putting decorative grooves in wood -- parallel to an
edge -- thus the wood dowel which extends as a guide.

461) For expanding rings -- either finger rings, or perhaps rings
for attaching to the ears or noses of domestic animals.

462) Spoon for reaching deep into a bird when cleaning it prior to
adding stuffing?

463) Most people? It looks too aggressive to be a currycomb for
pets. Perhaps part of a stretcher to keep fabrics from
shrinking as they dry?

464) Obviously some kind of cutoff tool. Not for normal cable,
as it would need a way to open at the sides to get to the middle
of the wire. Maybe for something like cutting cork to length
for bottles?

Or maybe for cutting wooden dowels to length?

does the other side look like the side shown?

465) This one is a tool used for handling logs -- back in the days
when they were all dropped into a river to float down to the
mill, and might get tangled up. This is what the guys who
climed out to clear the logjam would use.

466) -- nope -- none there yet. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Steve W.

news
wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

460 -

461 - Looks like a tool used to plant bulbs in the ground. Push the

tip
in and squeeze the handles to make a hole the correct size.

462 - Skimming ladle?

463 - face of a carpet stretcher head

464 - Dehorning shears, fresh out of the blaster...

465 - Peavy, used to move logs and poles around. AKA cant hook

I agree with the "peavy" nomenclature, but a "cant hook" has a splay
point at right angles to the axis of the handle to assist in the
rolling function. You can pull a log with a properly applied cant
hook,

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Guess it depends on what you were told when you were a kid. Thanks for
the corrections.

Steve W.

Duane Bozarth

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

464) Obviously some kind of cutoff tool. Not for normal cable,
as it would need a way to open at the sides to get to the middle
of the wire. Maybe for something like cutting cork to length
for bottles?

Hard cork...

Or maybe for cutting wooden dowels to length?

If you want to consider cattle horns a dowel...

does the other side look like the side shown?

Yes...

It's a cattle dehorner shear...
humunculus

Disagreed: Buddy is right. A cant hook (or cant dog) is a wooden rod
with a hook connected to it, with or without a splay point. The
earliest cant hooks were just a pole with a rigid hook connected to it,
looking a lot like a modern nonmechanical can opener. Later, a eyering
was added making the hook into a 'swing dingle', but it could not be
controlled very well. Joseph Peavey's "improved cant hooks" had a
hinge to keep the swing dingle aligned with the rod, but it was the
addition of a point that made it a peavey. With a point, its a peavey:
without one, its a cant hook, regardless of whether or not it has a
crowfoot at the end.

http://www.ruralheritage.com/logging_camp/peavey.htm

Take it from a Mainer.... :-)

--M

Dogstar

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

(Apparently this week they are all dog related).

460. Antique tick squisher (brush the fur until a tick is located, then hit
the rod with a hammer to squish the tick).
461. Dewormer for French poodles (I hope I don't have to describe how it is
used).
462. A "Pooper Scooper" for teacup Chihuahuas.
463. Close-up of a brush for wirehaired terriers.
464. Toenail clippers for Great Danes.
465. Meat hook used to feed pit-bull terriers.

-- Dogstar

Rich Grise

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:11:29 +0000, Dogstar wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

(Apparently this week they are all dog related).

460. Antique tick squisher (brush the fur until a tick is located, then hit
the rod with a hammer to squish the tick).
461. Dewormer for French poodles (I hope I don't have to describe how it is
used).
462. A "Pooper Scooper" for teacup Chihuahuas.
463. Close-up of a brush for wirehaired terriers.

463. Bed-of-Nails for Faqirs on steep hillsides.

464. Toenail clippers for Great Danes.
465. Meat hook used to feed pit-bull terriers.

-- Dogstar

R.H.

Must be a tough set this week, three correct so far:

463. Carpet kicker/stretcher

464. Dehorning shears

465. Peavey

The first three have no right answers yet:

460. This tool is somewhat similar to number 463, the rod held up by the
spring is made of metal.

461. It is an expander as has been mentioned, I posted a photo of it with
the handles compressed, not sure if that will help much.

462. This one has a three word name, with the second word being "dust".

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

"humunculus" wrote in message
http://www.ruralheritage.com/logging_camp/peavey.htm

Take it from a Mainer.... :-)

--M

Thanks for the interesting link, I knew what it was but not the history.

Rob

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:38:23 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

461. It is an expander as has been mentioned, I posted a photo of it with
the handles compressed, not sure if that will help much.

Lead pipe expander, used when making a wiped joint
Michael Strefford

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

462 is what we call a "Marrow Spoon". Used when fly fishing.
When you catch your first fish this is put down the fishes throat
into its stomach and used to scoop out the contents so they can
be examined, so you can determine what the fish have been
mainly feeding on. Then you can tie on a suitable fly/lure to
enable you to catch more fish. (The difficult bit is catching
the first one!)

Regards from Glenrothes, Scotland

Michael
Amateur Woodworker and Part Time Fly Fisherman!

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

461. It is an expander as has been mentioned, I posted a photo of it with
the handles compressed, not sure if that will help much.

Yes, it is a expander. For rubber tubes. Insert it in the tube, expand
it, and it's much easier to put the tube on some fitting.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
R.H.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:38:23 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

461. It is an expander as has been mentioned, I posted a photo of it

with
the handles compressed, not sure if that will help much.

Lead pipe expander, used when making a wiped joint

Correct, this is the answer that I was looking for.

Rob

R.H.

462 is what we call a "Marrow Spoon". Used when fly fishing.
When you catch your first fish this is put down the fishes throat
into its stomach and used to scoop out the contents so they can
be examined, so you can determine what the fish have been
mainly feeding on. Then you can tie on a suitable fly/lure to
enable you to catch more fish. (The difficult bit is catching
the first one!)

Regards from Glenrothes, Scotland

Michael
Amateur Woodworker and Part Time Fly Fisherman!

It does look similar to a marrow spoon but according to the seller it was
used for a different purpose.

Rob

R.H.

Yes, it is a expander. For rubber tubes. Insert it in the tube, expand
it, and it's much easier to put the tube on some fitting.

It could be used for rubber tubes but the tool collector who sold it said it
was for lead pipes, though I'm still trying to confirm this.

Rob

Patrick Hamlyn

"R.H." wrote:

462 is what we call a "Marrow Spoon". Used when fly fishing.
When you catch your first fish this is put down the fishes throat
into its stomach and used to scoop out the contents so they can
be examined, so you can determine what the fish have been
mainly feeding on. Then you can tie on a suitable fly/lure to
enable you to catch more fish. (The difficult bit is catching
the first one!)

Regards from Glenrothes, Scotland

Michael
Amateur Woodworker and Part Time Fly Fisherman!

It does look similar to a marrow spoon but according to the seller it was
used for a different purpose.

Gold dust caster. Used by prospectors to cast gold dust into ingots.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
R.H.

"Patrick Hamlyn" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote:

462 is what we call a "Marrow Spoon". Used when fly fishing.
When you catch your first fish this is put down the fishes throat
into its stomach and used to scoop out the contents so they can
be examined, so you can determine what the fish have been
mainly feeding on. Then you can tie on a suitable fly/lure to
enable you to catch more fish. (The difficult bit is catching
the first one!)

Regards from Glenrothes, Scotland

Michael
Amateur Woodworker and Part Time Fly Fisherman!

It does look similar to a marrow spoon but according to the seller it was
used for a different purpose.

Gold dust caster. Used by prospectors to cast gold dust into ingots.

Nope, that's not it.

Rob

humunculus

Is the first one a carpet tack countersink?

--rm

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:29:21 GMT, "Michael Strefford"
wrote:

462 is what we call a "Marrow Spoon". Used when fly fishing.
When you catch your first fish this is put down the fishes throat
into its stomach and used to scoop out the contents so they can
be examined,

Surely that's a piscevomitoscope, or something ? "Marrow spoon"
originally just meant a spoon for digging marrow out of cooked long
bones and this could well be one.
R.H.

"humunculus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the first one a carpet tack countersink?

--rm

It's not a carpet countersink but there is a tack involved.

Rob

R.H.

wrote:

462 is what we call a "Marrow Spoon". Used when fly fishing.
When you catch your first fish this is put down the fishes throat
into its stomach and used to scoop out the contents so they can
be examined,

Surely that's a piscevomitoscope, or something ? "Marrow spoon"
originally just meant a spoon for digging marrow out of cooked long
bones and this could well be one.

This tool was supposedly used for a different purpose than marrow digging.

Rob

Steve W.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

"humunculus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the first one a carpet tack countersink?

--rm

It's not a carpet countersink but there is a tack involved.

Rob

Used to tack carpet into the corners of stair treads?

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:57:22 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

It could be used for rubber tubes but the tool collector who sold it said it
was for lead pipes, though I'm still trying to confirm this.

It's really quite a rare tool, because it's only used for joining narrow
lead pipes onto large ones - such as a bathroom basin outfall onto a
large-diameter toilet waste stack. They're used to expand a small radial
hole in a large pipe and their function is to make a flange, rather than
particularly to make the hole bigger. Those large vertical pipes have
generally been cast-iron rather than lead since before the war (in the
UK anyway) so this really is going back a bit!

These ones might be a Stanley #19 and are illustrated in older Stanley
catalogues.

The usual joint in lead pipe is a straight butt joint between pipes of
equal diameter. One of these pipes needs to be expanded too, so as to
fit over the other, but you do this using a greased fixed conical
expander, usually turned of boxwood and called a "turnpin", "button" or
"acorn". If you try to use this plier-style expander, the pipe will
split.

R.H.

[...]

Thanks for the info.

Rob

R.H.

"Steve W." wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

"humunculus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the first one a carpet tack countersink?

--rm

It's not a carpet countersink but there is a tack involved.

Rob

Used to tack carpet into the corners of stair treads?

It could be used for that but I think it's meant to used for something other
than carpet.

Rob

Tom

"R.H." wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

"humunculus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the first one a carpet tack countersink?

--rm

It's not a carpet countersink but there is a tack involved.

Rob

Used to tack carpet into the corners of stair treads?

It could be used for that but I think it's meant to used for something other
than carpet.

Rob

Upholstery tool?

Tom
R.H.

Upholstery tool?

Correct, a tack is inserted in the hole, the fabric is stretched and the rod
is hit with a mallet, allowing a single person to do what would otherwise
take two.

Rob