DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   All stainless pattern weld? Can a pattern exist? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/121628-all-stainless-pattern-weld-can-pattern-exist.html)

John Fly September 20th 05 09:48 PM

All stainless pattern weld? Can a pattern exist?

Are there any combinations of stainless that can be (forge)welded
together that could be etched to bring out a pattern?

If so what types of SS would I be needing?

ALSO:

How fast does the natural oxide layer build up on stainless?

I've done some SS to carbon steel forge welding... I've even done it
with an oxy/acetelyne torch and a couple of firebricks(nothing big this
way)...

I normally grind then sand my steels to a good clean surface...
sometimes near mirror. I always leave my SS until last.. I don't know
if it helps but i figure the less time it has to form an oxide layer
the better.

I worry that if I spend time prepareing many pieces of SS that an oxide
layer might build up on the first pieces, almost undoing some of my
prep..

Should I worry? What can I do if it might be a problem?

Tim Wescott September 20th 05 09:59 PM

John Fly wrote:
[...]

Check the blacksmithing newsgroup. rec.crafts.blacksmithing IIRC.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Frank J Warner September 21st 05 09:56 PM

In article . com, John
Fly wrote:

Are there any combinations of stainless that can be (forge)welded
together that could be etched to bring out a pattern?

If so what types of SS would I be needing?

Devin Thomas makes an all-stainless pattern welded steel using 304 and
L-series SS. Since I don't forge (yet), I don't know all the details.
Some of his stuff he

http://www.devinthomas.com/pages/heat.html

There are probably other combinations out there. I know this one
because I use Devin's steels in my knives.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work: