trg-s338

Default Metal shaper

Where can I find an old 12 inch or larger metal shaper for cheap?
There has got to be one sitting in some old shop corner, unwanted, and
taking up precious space! I am in Orange County, California.

Gunner

On 20 Sep 2005 11:11:58 -0700, "trg-s338"
wrote:

Where can I find an old 12 inch or larger metal shaper for cheap?
There has got to be one sitting in some old shop corner, unwanted, and
taking up precious space! I am in Orange County, California.

Ive access to a nice, very nice Cinninati you can get for $500, or a
Gearhart Owens for the same price.

Both are 36"

How thick is your slab?

If I were going after another shaper (I have currently a 8" Logan,
having sold the 14" Flather for $300), Id go for a 12" Sheldon.

This guy, up in Lynwood, usually has shapers. Including Sheldons.
Call, as he adverts mostly wood working equipment, but has a ****load
of metalworking stuff

http://www.davisandwells.com/

Now how much space do you have? A nice Rockford hydraulic would be
nice to have. Say...24"

Gunner, who services machine shops in OC.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
trg-s338

Thanks for the lead. I will contact these guys and see what's
available and for how much. You say you have access to a Cinncinat or
Gearhart Owen? I'll post for further info if your first lead doesn't
happen. My slab is 4 inches but I can custom pour the proper thickness
into the shop I am building in the back yard to get my machining tools
out of the garage (make the Mrs. happy). What are your thoughts on the
support slab to machines this large. I am thinking one ton in weight,
or is that even close?

Adam Smith

My Cincinnati 24" weighs 3 tons. It is a standard duty, not a "heavy duty".
It distributes the load over quite a lot of floor: maybe 6' x 2 1/2' or so?

If you have room, and can get it moved, take it. They are pretty neat.
Weight doesn't mean that much to the right truck and moving equipment, if
you take your time. Don't ask me about the results of rushing :-(
Thankfully, for the big shaper we took our time. Brought it up from Detroit,
got very funny looks from Canadian Customs when I said it was for "personal
use". No real hassles, though.

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

"trg-s338" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the lead. I will contact these guys and see what's
available and for how much. You say you have access to a Cinncinat or
Gearhart Owen? I'll post for further info if your first lead doesn't
happen. My slab is 4 inches but I can custom pour the proper thickness
into the shop I am building in the back yard to get my machining tools
out of the garage (make the Mrs. happy). What are your thoughts on the
support slab to machines this large. I am thinking one ton in weight,
or is that even close?

Gunner

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:27:40 -0400, "Adam Smith"
wrote:

My Cincinnati 24" weighs 3 tons. It is a standard duty, not a "heavy duty".
It distributes the load over quite a lot of floor: maybe 6' x 2 1/2' or so?

If you have room, and can get it moved, take it. They are pretty neat.
Weight doesn't mean that much to the right truck and moving equipment, if
you take your time. Don't ask me about the results of rushing :-(
Thankfully, for the big shaper we took our time. Brought it up from Detroit,
got very funny looks from Canadian Customs when I said it was for "personal
use". No real hassles, though.

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

Sounds a little light for the 36". The 36" Smith Hall I was running
weighed 10,500 lbs.

I think the Cincy is beefier.

Still interested?

The Gearheart Owens is about 2/3 the size in footprint.

Both are located in Taft, California, 35 miles west of Bakersfield.

There is a nice Rockford 14", that I may..may be able to get. Its got
a 1952 Dodge 3 speed slushbox on it for changing ram speed.

Gunner

roups.com...

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM