Eric R Snow

Default .22 revolver cylinder question

I've looked, and can't find, what the hole size for .22 revolver
cylinders should be. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I've even tried
the words "pistol nomenclature" and "revolver nomenclature" with
litttle success. Anyway, what I have is a .22 cylinder in which the
holes are not concentric to the bore for the pin they rotate around.
So, the idea is to set up the cylinder with the holes running true and
boring out the pin hole and bushing it down to size. When sliding a
pin into the .22 holes it turns out they are tapered. .226 at the
entrance and .224 at the exit. The taper varies from hole to hole. So
the .226 pin goes into each hole a different amount. Should all these
holes be straightened out by making them .226 all the way through? Or
should they just be left alone?
Thanks,
Eric

I am not sure which end of the cylinder you are calling the entrance
and exit. The cylinder holes on all revolvers have to be tapered in
order to easily extract the brass after it has been fired. I bet the
higher power cartridges that are rather long have more taper. Check a
44 mag. and see how much taper they have.

Don't bother measuring the cylinder. Measure the brass after it has bee
fired. Should show the identical taper. Now I am curious about the
taper in my 22 mag. cylinder. Have to go fire it and check the brass.

Paul

Brian Lawson

Hey Eric,

There is an email address at the bottom of the page at this site. Bet
he can answer.

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/calibers.html

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:51:40 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I've looked, and can't find, what the hole size for .22 revolver
cylinders should be. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I've even tried
the words "pistol nomenclature" and "revolver nomenclature" with
litttle success. Anyway, what I have is a .22 cylinder in which the
holes are not concentric to the bore for the pin they rotate around.
So, the idea is to set up the cylinder with the holes running true and
boring out the pin hole and bushing it down to size. When sliding a
pin into the .22 holes it turns out they are tapered. .226 at the
entrance and .224 at the exit. The taper varies from hole to hole. So
the .226 pin goes into each hole a different amount. Should all these
holes be straightened out by making them .226 all the way through? Or
should they just be left alone?
Thanks,
Eric

R. O'Brian

The holes are tapered on purpose. A SAMMI standard minimum chamber for 22.
LR tapers from the mouth (.2279) to the bullet seat (.225). Cylinder
throat(forward end) is likely .224 or .225. I'm guessing here since my
specs are for a barrel chamber, not a cylinder chamber. I recommend you
leave them alone. The only practical way to make a chamber is to ream it
with a standard chamber reamer which you can buy or rent.

Randy

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
I've looked, and can't find, what the hole size for .22 revolver
cylinders should be. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I've even tried
the words "pistol nomenclature" and "revolver nomenclature" with
litttle success. Anyway, what I have is a .22 cylinder in which the
holes are not concentric to the bore for the pin they rotate around.
So, the idea is to set up the cylinder with the holes running true and
boring out the pin hole and bushing it down to size. When sliding a
pin into the .22 holes it turns out they are tapered. .226 at the
entrance and .224 at the exit. The taper varies from hole to hole. So
the .226 pin goes into each hole a different amount. Should all these
holes be straightened out by making them .226 all the way through? Or
should they just be left alone?
Thanks,
Eric

Martin Riggins

wrote:

I've looked, and can't find, what the hole size for .22 revolver
cylinders should be.

snip

Are you asking for the chamber dimensions of a 22 long rifle? If so,
go to:

http://www.clymertool.com/welcome.html

Click on "Reamer Design"
Then the "Database Search/Reamer Customization" button.
Click the "22 Calibers" link.
Choose which chamber type you want (probably .22 long rifle CYL)
Then click the "Search Database" button.
The standard reamer dimensions are then displayed.

Martin

Removing a HW cylinder Lobster UK diy 2 February 9th 05 02:55 PM
Hot water cylinder Pandora UK diy 67 November 4th 04 09:02 PM
Hyd. cylinder repair and question Tom Gardner Metalworking 9 August 18th 04 03:06 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM