Steve W.

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whilst thinking about another problem, I find myself wondering, "why

is
it that bolts have hex heads rather than octagonal or some other
number?"

Is there some wisdom about the history of this?

First off, ( and most obvious ) if it had anything other than 6 faces,
wouldn't make much sense at all to call it a "hex"......

Eight points tend to strip too easily...

And at some point, needing to tighten fully to 90 degres in order to

be able
to reposition a wrench was apparently too much for design engineers...

I kinda like the NAS style aircraft fasteners, personally.....

--

SVL

Probably because it was the first shape that could be used with existing
tools and tooling. Of course now there are so many different head
designs and sizes used it can be a bother to buy tools to fit. Between
US inch, Metric, Chinese metric, Whitworth, and British Standard that
should be enough. BUT nope we have every type of external and internal
drive thought up as well. Example is the 94 GM Blazer I'm working on. It
has both US inch and Metric sizes, Hex, Internal Hex, Torx and external
torx, Philips, Straight slot, Push nuts, and a few others.

Tim Wescott

Steve W. wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

So is there actually a different standard in China, or by "Chinese
Metric" do you mean Chinese POS equipment that never works right?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
DoN. Nichols

According to jim rozen :
In article , Curly Surmudgeon says...

A hexagon is a natural shape,

Don't see many hexagonal rocks.

I've seen them -- quartz crystals, as well as some other
crystalline materials.

Besides, I know lots of
people with square heads...

There is that. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
John Chase

"Curly Surmudgeon" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:03:44 -0400, Cliff wrote:

On 20 Sep 2005 09:29:47 -0700, "John Martin"
wrote:

Maybe because you can lay out a hexagon on a circle with just a compass
and straightedge?

Doesn't work, you still wind up with an unused (0.14159 * radius)
circumference.

No, that's the chips. Maybe would have been more obvious if the OP had
written "... hexagon IN a circle ...".

-jc-

Steve W.

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Steve W. wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in

message

"Bryan" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

They must have their own version of metric there. Any time I have to
repair Chinese made junk none of the available metric items seem to fit.
Usually end up drilling and tapping to do the repair.

John Chase

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 20 Sep 2005 10:37:55 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Curly Surmudgeon says...

A hexagon is a natural shape,

Don't see many hexagonal rocks. Besides, I know lots of
people with square heads...

Um, beehives?

Snowflakes....

-jc-

Tom Accuosti

"Will" wrote in message

| On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:05:13 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
| wrote:

| |
| | "Cliff" wrote: (clip) Will this morph into another bible "wisdom"
| | thread? (clip)
| | "Curly Surmudgeon" wrote" (clip) A hexagon is a natural shape
| | (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | Then how come haloes aren't hexagonal?
| |
| Because halos are a corona effect.

Does that mean that you need a lime and some nachos?

moT

A couple of things come to mind why hexagons might be chosen over other
polygons.

Two parallel faces of larger flat dimension than an octagon. You can
slide a wrench straight on from the side unlike twelve point aircraft
stuff. A larger manufacturing tolerance on the head dimension and
matching wrench dimensions because of the larger flats. Can reposition
a wrench in a smaller increment than a square for tight quarters work.

Some blacksmith wanted to stand out in the manufacturing world making
horse buggies. Forging parallel faces is pretty easy compared to
pentagons and septagons.

Interesting question. Thanks

Tom Lipton

carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| So they fit six and twelve point sockets... Why else ;-)
|
| Think of the expense of everyone having to buy five-sided sockets, or
| some other goofy configuration.

You never looked on top of a fire hydrant did you? They use a five
sided drive there to keep stupid people from opening the valve up.

Reminds me of a funny story... One afternoon I was outside working in
the driveway. There's a fire hydrant half a block from my house, in great
view. A fire truck pulls up to the hydrant (fire station happens to be
about three blocks away from my house, too.) and three firemen hop out, one
with a wrench in hand. They were just wearing blues, so I suspected they
were going to drain the hydrant or something. They were taking it casual
with this assignment, obviously. Idiot number one opens the valve without
taking the cap off, so he closes it again. Idiot number two smacks the cap
to spin it off. Idiot number three was standing about five feet away from
the hydrant when the cap blows off from the pressure, snaps loose from the
lanyard, and slams into the side of idiot number three's knee. While the
first two idiots are thinking this was funny, the idiot number three hits
the ground screaming bloody murder, sounding like he was in some serious
pain. I had to walk back inside to prevent myself from laughing out loud at
the collective stupidity of them all. Shortly after, another fire truck and
an ambulance pulls up, completely blocking the intersection, and carts off
idiot number three.
I still don't think they've fixed that lanyard....

RAM^3

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
wrote in message
oups.com...
| So they fit six and twelve point sockets... Why else ;-)
|
| Think of the expense of everyone having to buy five-sided sockets, or
| some other goofy configuration.

You never looked on top of a fire hydrant did you? They use a five
sided drive there to keep stupid people from opening the valve up.

Reminds me of a funny story... One afternoon I was outside working in
the driveway. There's a fire hydrant half a block from my house, in great
view. A fire truck pulls up to the hydrant (fire station happens to be
about three blocks away from my house, too.) and three firemen hop out,
one
with a wrench in hand. They were just wearing blues, so I suspected they
were going to drain the hydrant or something. They were taking it casual
with this assignment, obviously. Idiot number one opens the valve without
taking the cap off, so he closes it again. Idiot number two smacks the
cap
to spin it off. Idiot number three was standing about five feet away from
the hydrant when the cap blows off from the pressure, snaps loose from the
lanyard, and slams into the side of idiot number three's knee. While the
first two idiots are thinking this was funny, the idiot number three hits
the ground screaming bloody murder, sounding like he was in some serious
pain. I had to walk back inside to prevent myself from laughing out loud
at
the collective stupidity of them all. Shortly after, another fire truck
and
an ambulance pulls up, completely blocking the intersection, and carts off
idiot number three.
I still don't think they've fixed that lanyard....

One advantage to the pentagonal fire hydrant valve bolt is that its actual
dimensions don't have to be particualarly precise since the wrench is an
adjustable one.

The wrench has a screw-in handle that pushes against a flat to force the
opposite angle into a "V".

Only 2 pieces and will fit any pentagonal bolt/nut up to 2".

Andy Webber

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Curly Surmudgeon says...
A hexagon is a natural shape,

Don't see many hexagonal rocks. Besides, I know lots of
people with square heads...

Try a Google images search for giants causeway
Cliff

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:44:02 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Example is the 94 GM Blazer I'm working on.

That's not all done with Tinnerman clips?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:33:14 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

They must have their own version of metric there. Any time I have to
repair Chinese made junk none of the available metric items seem to fit.
Usually end up drilling and tapping to do the repair.

DIN Standards ......
--
Cliff
jim rozen

In article , John Chase says...

Don't see many hexagonal rocks.

Snowflakes....

Snowflakes =/= rocks.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 21 Sep 2005 06:04:22 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , John Chase says...

Don't see many hexagonal rocks.

Snowflakes....

Snowflakes =/= rocks.

Someone said "in nature" and didn't limit it to rocks, Jim.

Jeff Wisnia

carl mciver wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
| So they fit six and twelve point sockets... Why else ;-)
|
| Think of the expense of everyone having to buy five-sided sockets, or
| some other goofy configuration.

You never looked on top of a fire hydrant did you? They use a five
sided drive there to keep stupid people from opening the valve up.

Reminds me of a funny story... One afternoon I was outside working in
the driveway. There's a fire hydrant half a block from my house, in great
view. A fire truck pulls up to the hydrant (fire station happens to be
about three blocks away from my house, too.) and three firemen hop out, one
with a wrench in hand. They were just wearing blues, so I suspected they
were going to drain the hydrant or something. They were taking it casual
with this assignment, obviously. Idiot number one opens the valve without
taking the cap off, so he closes it again. Idiot number two smacks the cap
to spin it off. Idiot number three was standing about five feet away from
the hydrant when the cap blows off from the pressure, snaps loose from the
lanyard, and slams into the side of idiot number three's knee. While the
first two idiots are thinking this was funny, the idiot number three hits
the ground screaming bloody murder, sounding like he was in some serious
pain. I had to walk back inside to prevent myself from laughing out loud at
the collective stupidity of them all. Shortly after, another fire truck and
an ambulance pulls up, completely blocking the intersection, and carts off
idiot number three.
I still don't think they've fixed that lanyard....

I'm trying to understand how that happened; i.e. where all that energy
was stored, Carl.

The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:25:30 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
carl mciver wrote:

Idiot number one opens the valve without
taking the cap off, so he closes it again. Idiot number two smacks the cap
to spin it off. Idiot number three was standing about five feet away from
the hydrant when the cap blows off from the pressure, snaps loose from the
lanyard, and slams into the side of idiot number three's knee.

I'm trying to understand how that happened; i.e. where all that energy
was stored, Carl.

In a big air pocket...

The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.

Exactly. Most hydrants over the last (insert bignum) years have the
shutoff valve on a long temp which goes well underground - prevents
freezing in that sort of climate. So the hydrant is dry for maybe
(thinks) 6 feet of height at a 8" diameter. So, it's compressed to
50PSI (or whatever mains pressure is) once that valve is opened, which
is quite a bit of force on a 6" hose connection.

Dave Hinz
Jeff Wisnia

carl mciver wrote:

[...]

My inquiring mind just had to know...

How does the water drain out and the air get back in when it's time to
close up and go back to the station?

Sure enough, there's a drain valve at the bottom of the hydrant which
opens when the main water valve is closed. I expect they must put some
crushed stone around the bottom to give the water someplace place to go.

This picture shows a hydrant with an automatic drain valve:

http://empire-west.com/iowa_parts_list.htm

That hydrant looks like it uses a toggle action driven by right/left
threads on the valve stem to move the main valve sideways. Clever...

I wonder if they have to leave the cap off until they are sure the water
has drained out to avoid creating an air lock?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:07:18 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Exactly. Most hydrants over the last (insert bignum) years have the
shutoff valve on a long temp which goes well underground - prevents
freezing in that sort of climate. So the hydrant is dry for maybe
(thinks) 6 feet of height at a 8" diameter. So, it's compressed to
50PSI (or whatever mains pressure is) once that valve is opened, which
is quite a bit of force on a 6" hose connection.

My inquiring mind just had to know...
How does the water drain out and the air get back in when it's time to
close up and go back to the station?

That's a good question. Unfortunately the hydrants I have (long story,
don't ask) are missing that end of the mechanism. I would assume there
is some sort of a drain.

Sure enough, there's a drain valve at the bottom of the hydrant which
opens when the main water valve is closed. I expect they must put some
crushed stone around the bottom to give the water someplace place to go.

Oh good, you saved me a trip to google. Makes sense.

This picture shows a hydrant with an automatic drain valve:

http://empire-west.com/iowa_parts_list.htm

That hydrant looks like it uses a toggle action driven by right/left
threads on the valve stem to move the main valve sideways. Clever...

The ones I have just move the rod up/down, but they're ancient.

I wonder if they have to leave the cap off until they are sure the water
has drained out to avoid creating an air lock?

Dunno. We don't have hydrants in our department's area, our parties
are strictly "BYOW".

Dave Hinz

Robin S.

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:24:21 -0400, wrote:

polish calipers

Older micrometers?

I've also heard of the "Italian Vernier."

Tape measure...

Regards,

Robin

jim rozen

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.

Hydrants drain down when the valve at the bottom is closed. They're
full of air most of the time - they'de freeze otherwise.

The energy was stored in the air, probably at about 50 psi, in
a volume of pipe 6 feet long and 10 inches in diameter. It's
a good thing he wasn't killed.

Jim

please reply to:
Gerald Miller

wrote:

How does the water drain out and the air get back in when it's time to
close up and go back to the station?

Sure enough, there's a drain valve at the bottom of the hydrant which
opens when the main water valve is closed. I expect they must put some
crushed stone around the bottom to give the water someplace place to go.

This picture shows a hydrant with an automatic drain valve:

http://empire-west.com/iowa_parts_list.htm

That hydrant looks like it uses a toggle action driven by right/left
threads on the valve stem to move the main valve sideways. Clever...

I wonder if they have to leave the cap off until they are sure the water
has drained out to avoid creating an air lock?

Jeff

I've never had the misfortune to see the Hydrant on my lawn in action
but at least twice a year a PUC pickup comes and the driver takes the
cap off and drops a rope in to check for water.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Leo Lichtman

"Robin S." wrote:
I've also heard of the "Italian Vernier."

Tape measure..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about a "Polish sausage"?

Polish sausage.

curly

You never looked on top of a fire hydrant did you? They use a five
sided drive there to keep stupid people from opening the valve up.

A regular pipe wrench works fine to open hydrants. At least the ones
I've opened, don't take much force to turn and no damage to the
pentanut. And yes they drain from the bottom, if not open entirely a
lot of water can escape out the bottom, potentially causing problems
(drain closes when valve is fully open).

Eric

Tim Williams

"jim rozen" wrote in message
Snowflakes....

Snowflakes =/= rocks.

Depends on your point of view... a mineralogy book of mine states the most
abundant mineral on earth is ice, covering 1/8 of the crust.

Quartz is mostly hexagonal, among a slew of other minerals. Zinc, magnesium
and titanium, to list a few, are pure metals which crystallize HCP
(hexagonal close-packed).

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Gunner

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:51:39 -0500, wrote:

"John Martin" wrote:
If the heads were Octagonal, they'd be called Octangonal bolts. Similarly
square heads are called Square head bolts. It follows that hex head bolts have
hexagonal heads.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Best

Square head bolts were a German invention.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Cliff

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:57:52 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

How about a "Polish sausage"?

Polish sausage.

Why would you want to polish a sausage?

Calling John S. .....
--
Cliff

"Robin S." wrote:

Tape measure...

Nah, a tape measure is a 'yo yo'. Everyone knows that.

Steve W.

wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Same thing with us. Do get lucky sometimes and find a pond or pool with
some wet stuff in it. We do have one are that has hydrants BUT those are
ornamental for water flow since they were installed in the mid 40's and
have a HUGE 3" mainline, which with the mineral content in the water has
shrunk to about 1", They are also connected into many private wells and
if you did hook to them you are in for a BIG surprise. We had that
happen back in the 60's when they tried connecting a small pumper to one
as a test. They couldn't get enough water to keep the pump primed.

Steve W.

B.B.

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.

Hydrants drain down when the valve at the bottom is closed. They're
full of air most of the time - they'de freeze otherwise.

Also prevents a geyser when a car hits 'em. When I was little our
YMCA guy ran over a hydrant on the way from school. I looked down the
hole while we were waiting for the other van to get us and saw the valve
assembly.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov
carl mciver

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
SNIP|

| I'm trying to understand how that happened; i.e. where all that energy
| was stored, Carl.
|
| The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
| sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
| when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
| the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.
|
| Jeff

I just learned this evening from a local firefighter that the water
system for this town was built to support a number of paper mills, which are
huge users of water. All but one mill is gone now, but the capacity is
still there, and the system at low points is over 120psi, I'm told, and with
that in mind, I likely have about 75 or so. With a standpipe that long, it
is indeed lucky he got away with a busted up leg. At least it stayed
attached!
I honestly don't recall the exact sequence, but I did see the cap blow
off with a large pop and slam into his knee sideways. He went down like
someone pushing the locked knee of someone standing on one leg. Screaming
bloody murder. I always thought those firemen were real men and would never
scream in pain. Guess I was wrong....

I wouldn't mind asking these folks next time I see them about that
incident, but I'm afraid I'd start laughing when I explain it and someone
might get a little upset....

Gunner

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:42:26 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

I honestly don't recall the exact sequence, but I did see the cap blow
off with a large pop and slam into his knee sideways. He went down like
someone pushing the locked knee of someone standing on one leg. Screaming
bloody murder. I always thought those firemen were real men and would never
scream in pain. Guess I was wrong....

Ever wonder why :kneecapping: someone is considered a really bad
thing?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Karl Vorwerk

It doesn't prevent all of them. Two or three years ago someone ran over one
here and it looked just like on the movies.
Karl

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.

Hydrants drain down when the valve at the bottom is closed. They're
full of air most of the time - they'de freeze otherwise.

Also prevents a geyser when a car hits 'em. When I was little our
YMCA guy ran over a hydrant on the way from school. I looked down the
hole while we were waiting for the other van to get us and saw the valve
assembly.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov

jimmy

"carl mciver" wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
SNIP|

| I'm trying to understand how that happened; i.e. where all that energy
| was stored, Carl.
|
| The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been a good
| sized air pocket above the valve which got compressed by water pressure
| when the valve was opened and closed, 'cause I don't think just water or
| the hydrant/riser pipe by itself would store enough to do that.
|
| Jeff

I just learned this evening from a local firefighter that the water
system for this town was built to support a number of paper mills, which are
huge users of water. All but one mill is gone now, but the capacity is
still there, and the system at low points is over 120psi, I'm told, and with
that in mind, I likely have about 75 or so. With a standpipe that long, it
is indeed lucky he got away with a busted up leg. At least it stayed
attached!
I honestly don't recall the exact sequence, but I did see the cap blow
off with a large pop and slam into his knee sideways. He went down like
someone pushing the locked knee of someone standing on one leg. Screaming
bloody murder. I always thought those firemen were real men and would never
scream in pain. Guess I was wrong....

I wouldn't mind asking these folks next time I see them about that
incident, but I'm afraid I'd start laughing when I explain it and someone
might get a little upset....

The fireman is lucky that all he got was a broken leg. A guy on a
ship was working on a jammed steering gear. They couldn't get a zerk
to take grease. The zerk was being unscrewed when grease pressure
blew out the zerk and killed the unfortunate crewman.
--
Jim

Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:42:59 GMT, "Karl Vorwerk"
wrote:

It doesn't prevent all of them. Two or three years ago someone ran over one
here and it looked just like on the movies.
Karl

It all depends on where you live - if the odds of a hard freeze in
your town are at or near zero, the fireplug probably will not have all
that fancy (and very expensive) below-ground valve and self-draining
stuff, the valves are all inside the top of the plug. Shear it off,
and you have an instant municipal fountain.

(At least till they turn off the service valve at the water main.)

They only spend the extra money to rig up freeze-proof fire hydrants
in places where they actually get freezes. And if they don't have the
self-draining hydrants, after they're done testing or using the
hydrant they turn off the bottom valve, siphon out some of the water,
and dump in anti-freeze.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
jim rozen

In article , Karl
Vorwerk says...

It doesn't prevent all of them. Two or three years ago someone ran over one
here and it looked just like on the movies.

Heh. Yep, if you give em a hard enough knock to the side, it seems
to break the valve assembly at the bottom.

This was proved at the corner near my local middle school one
lunchtime. Truck cut the corner too sharp, and the back wheels
clobbered the hydrant which was *right* at the corner.

They had a tough time getting all those kids (me included) back
into the school after lunch recess, the water was shooting about
five feet into the air!

Jim

please reply to:

Adjusting Table Saw Trunion Thomas Woodworking 20 February 14th 05 04:20 PM
Lag bolts vs. carriage bolts GonnyGump Woodworking 12 April 9th 04 01:52 AM
Shower head PoP UK diy 9 December 22nd 03 10:42 AM
Source for BSF cup square coach bolts? Michael Kilpatrick UK diy 0 November 21st 03 05:58 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM