CAMCOMPCO

Default Replaced belt on lathe but keeps coming off

Hi gents,

The subject says it all....leather belt, used the alligator belt
lacing, but the belt comes off often when I first engage the power.
Once it gets going, most of the time, it stays put, just about 25% of
the time on initial power up the belt falls off. Is this because it is
a bit hard (kind of like a baseball mitt when you first start using
it.....

Just wondering if there is a trick to break'n these belts in.

Thanks to all

John

Grant Erwin

CAMCOMPCO wrote:

Hi gents,

The subject says it all....leather belt, used the alligator belt
lacing, but the belt comes off often when I first engage the power.
Once it gets going, most of the time, it stays put, just about 25% of
the time on initial power up the belt falls off. Is this because it is
a bit hard (kind of like a baseball mitt when you first start using
it.....

It's more likely the result of misaligned sheaves, or some sort of defect in the
belt (a twist or something).

GWE
Ken Cutt

CAMCOMPCO wrote:
Hi gents,

The subject says it all....leather belt, used the alligator belt
lacing, but the belt comes off often when I first engage the power.
Once it gets going, most of the time, it stays put, just about 25% of
the time on initial power up the belt falls off. Is this because it is
a bit hard (kind of like a baseball mitt when you first start using
it.....

Just wondering if there is a trick to break'n these belts in.

Thanks to all

John

Are the ends of the belt square to each other at the join ? If one is
cocked it will get tossed . Personally I would opt for " Clipper " brand
lacing . Luck
Ken Cutt

Are you putting the belt on with a 1/2 twist. All the flat belt
machinery I have run always used a half turn to keep them in place. I
am not sure why,however.

Paul

Tom Gardner

"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi gents,

The subject says it all....leather belt, used the alligator belt
lacing, but the belt comes off often when I first engage the power.
Once it gets going, most of the time, it stays put, just about 25% of
the time on initial power up the belt falls off. Is this because it is
a bit hard (kind of like a baseball mitt when you first start using
it.....

Just wondering if there is a trick to break'n these belts in.

Thanks to all

John

Sometimes a little belt dressing will help it stay on track.

CAMCOMPCO

Not sure about the 1/2 twist thing, belt dressing might do the trick
but seems to be just a temp fix....I'll bet I assumed "close enough for
government work" was close enough, maybe I should re-check the
alignment when I get to the shop next.
I was just wonder'n if I missed some sort of "that always happens" kind
of thing......

Thanks guys

John

Don Young

It might be coming off because it is slipping on the drive sheave during
startup. I have noticed that flat belts often come off when they slip. Just
a thought.
Don Young
"CAMCOMPCO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure about the 1/2 twist thing, belt dressing might do the trick
but seems to be just a temp fix....I'll bet I assumed "close enough for
government work" was close enough, maybe I should re-check the
alignment when I get to the shop next.
I was just wonder'n if I missed some sort of "that always happens" kind
of thing......

Thanks guys

John

CAMCOMPCO

Quick update,
It turned out to be that I had a slight misalignment from end to end.
I undid the glamp, aligned the two ends better, and presto....the belts
were only off by a tiny bit, but, it seemed that this tiny bit was more
than enough to cause the trouble.

thanks to all for the help...once again :-)

John

House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM
Pining for a Bowl Lathe Leslie Gossett Woodturning 12 September 30th 03 05:44 PM
Club lathe reccomendations WANTED Bob Hewson Woodturning 2 July 14th 03 12:15 AM