Pete Keillor

Default 4X6 Bandsaw Speed Ctl Photos in Dropbox

Following are photos of the cutting speed control for my copy of the
ubiquitous 4"x6" bandsaw. I thought about and discarded the idea of
building a bracket to compress the cylinder on the cutting stroke.
This would give the advantage of moving more fluid for the same
distance, but would require a lot more work.

Instead, I decided to slightly reduce the thickness of the spring
mount to accept the cylinder yoke, then made a shoulder pin for the
rear yoke, to mount through an existing hole which I enlarged slightly
and counterbored to accept the pin. The reservoir is a 4 oz. model
airplane fuel tank. The reservoir mount is just scrap steel drilled,
bent, and painted.

The pictures are as follows:

http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl05.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl06.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl07.jpg

Pete Keillor
Grant Erwin

Somehow you got front/backslashes mixed up in your URLs. Try
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SawSpdCtl01.JPG

etc.

It looks like you speed control both ways, i.e. like you have to open your
needle valve wide open just to lift it back up. Is that right? Interesting
simplification of the normal design which has 2 legs, one with a check valve.

Where'd you get that nifty little cylinder?

GWE

Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

Pete Keillor

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:24:22 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Somehow you got front/backslashes mixed up in your URLs. Try
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/SawSpdCtl01.JPG

etc.

It looks like you speed control both ways, i.e. like you have to open your
needle valve wide open just to lift it back up. Is that right? Interesting
simplification of the normal design which has 2 legs, one with a check valve.

Where'd you get that nifty little cylinder?

GWE

Nope, that's a hydraulic speed control valve, which is exactly as you
described, a needle valve and check valve in parallel, only in one
housing.

I think the cylinder and valve came from www.surpluscenter.com/. I've
had them awhile, waiting for the round tuit.

Pete

Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

Peter Grey

So this (and other bandsaw mods) begs the question: are there recommended
feeds for a bandsaw cutting specific materials? IOW, can one take the mod
that you (and other who have done similar mods) made and equate it to a feed
rate? Should I quit writing and go look in my Machinery Handbook?

Peter

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:26:37 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

So this (and other bandsaw mods) begs the question: are there recommended
feeds for a bandsaw cutting specific materials? IOW, can one take the mod
that you (and other who have done similar mods) made and equate it to a feed
rate? Should I quit writing and go look in my Machinery Handbook?

Peter

For steel, I use pulley #2, and 9 on the needle valve.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Errol Groff

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:14:44 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

Following are photos of the cutting speed control for my copy of the

Pete:

Nice crisp photos! They so a good job of illustrating the parts.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

DoN. Nichols

According to Pete Keillor :
Following are photos of the cutting speed control for my copy of the
ubiquitous 4"x6" bandsaw. I thought about and discarded the idea of

[ ... ]

The pictures are as follows:

http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl01.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl02.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl03.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl04.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl05.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl06.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com\dropbox\SawSpdCtl07.jpg

A minor problem there. You have '\' as the later dividers in
the URLs, when they all should be '/'. Some Windows browsers let you
get away with that, but it is non-standard HTML, and won't work on all
systems. Certainly "wget" on my unix boxen barfs.

Nice photos, once that is corrected. Which shaper is that which
you are using? I don't believe that it is the 7" Rockwell/Delta/AMMCO
one which I have, because your table appears to have real T-slots.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Artemia Salina

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:26:07 -0400, Pete Keillor wrote:

Nope, that's a hydraulic speed control valve, which is exactly as you
described, a needle valve and check valve in parallel, only in one
housing.

Yup, metered in one direction and full flow in the other. Does your
valve have the numbered calibration marks, and have you worked out
a feed chart yet? I once bought a Starret blade for my BS and the
package had feed rate suggestions on it. Not much use with the
spring operated feed mechanism.

Ditto on what some folks have said about the back-slashes in your
dropbox links. Gotta use forward-slashes.

I think the cylinder and valve came from www.surpluscenter.com/. I've
had them awhile, waiting for the round tuit.

I'd really like to mod my saw as you have but I haven't had any
luck finding an appropriate cylinder yet. Seems to be a common
problem.

Very nice job though.

Pete Keillor

On 18 Sep 2005 04:02:52 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Pete Keillor :
[...]

Hi, DoN. Oops, you're right of course. Missed that. Grant mentioned
there are similar fixes, which is where I got the idea. Grant
mentions them on his excellent 4x6 faq, Roy had pictures as well as a
lot of other stuff on his frugalmachinist site. You know, the one
that makes you tired just looking at it. How many hours does he cram
in a day? I've incorporated Chris Heapy's ideas as well.

My shaper is an early 8" Logan, which I really enjoy. The work stops
with teenuts were made on it. The table and table support are one of
its best features. The variable speed drive and chain drive make it a
little noisy, but not bad.

Pete Keillor
Grant Erwin

You know, I'll be g*d d**ned. I made up a saw hydraulic downfeed control and I
used one of those Parker flow control valves and I *never knew* it had an
integral check valve. Funny, too, because the external check valve I plumbed in
leaks real bad and I was about to start searching for a replacement. Here's a
pic of how I did it: http://www.tinyisland.com/images/downfeed.pdf

I just ripped out the (external) check valve and plugged that branch, and it
still works fine, i.e. lifts up without restriction. Only thing I can't do now
that I used to be able to do is to flip off the shutoff lever, and lift the saw
to exactly where I wanted it and it would stay put. All with one hand. Now I
have to lift it to where I want it and hold it there while flipping the shutoff
lever. Just a little less convenient, but many fewer joints, and the main leak
is gone! I sure feel dumb because I never knew what a flow control valve was
until tonight, but better late than never!

The flow control valve I have in the picture is a Parker F400B. I scrounged two
of them one time when I was down at Triangle Machinery in San Jose. I just
checked and these suckers cost over $26 at Grainger right now. Wow.

Grant