Rich

Default Charging Drill Motor Batteries

Please excuse this post for being on-topic.

I'm of the opinion that it is bad for NiCad batteries to be "ON CHARGE"
continually (except for special chargers which monitor battery voltage
and only initiate charge when the voltage falls below some level).

On the other hand, I'm damned tired of grabbing one of my drill motors
for a project and finding the battery has run down enough that I can't
use it. I'm tempted to just leave them plugged in all the time so they
always are fully charged.

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

What do you DO with your rechargeable NiCad drill motors?

Rich
Tom Gardner

"Rich" wrote in message
Please excuse this post for being on-topic.

I'm of the opinion that it is bad for NiCad batteries to be "ON CHARGE"
continually (except for special chargers which monitor battery voltage and
only initiate charge when the voltage falls below some level).

On the other hand, I'm damned tired of grabbing one of my drill motors for
a project and finding the battery has run down enough that I can't use it.
I'm tempted to just leave them plugged in all the time so they always are
fully charged.

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

What do you DO with your rechargeable NiCad drill motors?

Rich

See: http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/faq.htm They have rebuild my many
batteries over the years that we use in production. I'm happy with them.
Take a look at the FAQ and see that you shouldn't leave them on charge nor
charge a hot battery.

Unless your post is about speed/feed, HSS vs. carbide or good drills vs.
cheap drills...your post is OT!!!
Please put $10 in the jar.

Vaughn Simon

"Rich" wrote in message

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

Only if you don't mind replacing them annually.

What do you DO with your rechargeable NiCad drill motors?

One thing that I have done in the past is stick the charger on a cheap
timer set so it comes on for one hour a day. That will keep the battery
fresh without baking the life out of it.

Vaughn

Rich

Tim Wescott

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

Only if you don't mind replacing them annually.

What do you DO with your rechargeable NiCad drill motors?

One thing that I have done in the past is stick the charger on a cheap
timer set so it comes on for one hour a day. That will keep the battery
fresh without baking the life out of it.

Vaughn

Rich

This guy http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/ worked for years at GE and
Gates making NiCd batteries; he participated in writing a book on their
care and feeding for engineers designing them into systems.

He basically recommends the same thing -- trickle charge for one hour a
day. This keeps 'em fresh without shorting them out (the mechanism
isn't drying, although that can cause problems).

So if you need an expert opinion to make you feel comfortable...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

Most cordless drill chargers do NOT charge continuously. They peak-charge,
based upon the temp of the battery (there's a bimetal thermostat in each
battery pack), then shut off. They will not begin a new charge until the
battery is removed and replaced, or power is interrupted.

One thing that I have done in the past is stick the charger on a
cheap
timer set so it comes on for one hour a day. That will keep the battery
fresh without baking the life out of it.

That will pretty much guarantee ruining a battery on the newer fast
chargers. Since they always charge until the battery becomes hot, and do so
in less than an hour, you're assuring that it gets good'n'hot every day.

This guy http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/ worked for years at GE and Gates
making NiCd batteries; he participated in writing a book on their care and
feeding for engineers designing them into systems.

He basically recommends the same thing -- trickle charge for one hour a
day. This keeps 'em fresh without shorting them out (the mechanism isn't
drying, although that can cause problems).

Yep. GE says "dendrites" are the problem in NiCds. Of course, 'experts'
come in all flavors. The folks at Gates Energy STILL insist that NiCd cells
have no "memory"; then they sell lithium ion cells that specifically tout
"no memory like NiCd cells". Duh.

LLoyd

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:05:50 -0400, Rich wrote:

Please excuse this post for being on-topic.

I'm of the opinion that it is bad for NiCad batteries to be "ON CHARGE"
continually (except for special chargers which monitor battery voltage
and only initiate charge when the voltage falls below some level).

On the other hand, I'm damned tired of grabbing one of my drill motors
for a project and finding the battery has run down enough that I can't
use it. I'm tempted to just leave them plugged in all the time so they
always are fully charged.

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

What do you DO with your rechargeable NiCad drill motors?

Rich

When they go bad I rebuild them with NiMH batteries - not as much self
discharge and more forgiving over-all - and higher power density to
boot. I've built several packs using 2300mah double A cells and can
fir 3 where one C used to reside (900mah capacity). SIGNIFICANT
improvement all 'round.
Grant Erwin

Rich wrote:

Please excuse this post for being on-topic.

I'm of the opinion that it is bad for NiCad batteries to be "ON CHARGE"
continually (except for special chargers which monitor battery voltage
and only initiate charge when the voltage falls below some level).

On the other hand, I'm damned tired of grabbing one of my drill motors
for a project and finding the battery has run down enough that I can't
use it. I'm tempted to just leave them plugged in all the time so they
always are fully charged.

What does the group think about leaving them on charge full time?

What do you DO with your rechargeable NiCad drill motors?

I have about 5 DeWalt 18V tools. I keep a charger always plugged in and in a
place where I can just drop in a battery (i.e. not move a bunch of junk to clear
some room, go find the charger, find an extension cord, none of that baloney)
and charge it up. I also have 2 drills. I find that between my 2 drills and the
flex-arm flashlight one of them usually has some juice to get me going, and they
don't take that long to charge. So my answer is "charge 'em when I need to".

GWE