DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - RIP, Chief Justice William Rehnquist (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/119732-ot-rip-chief-justice-william-rehnquist.html)

Cliff September 4th 05 11:04 AM

OT - RIP, Chief Justice William Rehnquist

1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three
children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last
October and continued to perform his duties on the court until a
precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.
]

[email protected] September 4th 05 01:56 PM

I bet the Liberals are just chewing nails...Since GW gets to name
another conservative to the high court...and possibly a third over the
next year or so..
Perhaps we can finally UN-FUC# this place after 40 years of liberal
reign.

al in Colorado
Conservative and damn proud of it!

Chuck September 4th 05 02:35 PM

I don't think the liberals could care near as much as they did when O'Connor
left, a supreme court vote is ye nay not 95 % conservative vs. 85 %
conservative. Renquist was straight conservative he'll be replaced with the
same, it's a wash. O'Connor was moderate and probably replaced with a
conservative.

C.

oups.com...

Gerry September 4th 05 02:36 PM

With his vote supporting the taking of private personal property for
the development of housing and shopping developments, I bet there are
lot's of good conservative republicans that wish he had passed a couple
of months earlier

Frank White September 4th 05 02:49 PM

Cliff wrote:
1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three
children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last
October and continued to perform his duties on the court until a
precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.
]

As I expected. Rehnquist hung on to power regardless of increasing
incapacities until he croaked.

FW

ff September 4th 05 06:16 PM

Cliff wrote:

1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three
children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last
October and continued to perform his duties on the court until a
precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.
]

Some say he will be remembered most for shifting power from the feds to
the states.

More impressive, is his addition of those cool stripes to his robes ;-)

Curly Surmudgeon September 4th 05 07:50 PM

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:04:17 -0400, Cliff wrote:

1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three
children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last
October and continued to perform his duties on the court until a
precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.
]

While I wouldn't wish death on the man I _am_ glad to see him off the
court. The last remaining member to have voted against Roe vs. Wade.

-- Regards, Curly
Bush voters: http://www.curlysurmudgeon.com/docum...enlistment.pdf

T.Alan Kraus September 4th 05 07:56 PM

Cliff wrote:
1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three
children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last
October and continued to perform his duties on the court until a
precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.
]

Thank you for the news, Cliff. It is important for all of us that do not
have newspapers, radios, TVs or access to the internet to have someone
like you to tell us what is going on. Thank you again.

sarcasticly yours
T.Alan Kraus

Don September 4th 05 10:29 PM

what does this have to do with machining

Waynemak September 5th 05 12:44 AM

As I expected. Rehnquist hung on to power regardless of increasing
incapacities until he croaked.

FW

I agree

lazyike67 September 5th 05 04:22 AM

Cliff wrote:

1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three
children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last
October and continued to perform his duties on the court until a
precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.
]

\

Another worthless Republican dead who gives a flying ****?
More should follow his example... Hopefully the Next Katrina
will hit in the RIGHT place next time... THis country could
loose a few Texans or Some other pocket of worthless
Republicans...

Ike

Hawke September 5th 05 05:26 AM

As I expected. Rehnquist hung on to power regardless of increasing
incapacities until he croaked.

This is typical of a lot of people in powerful positions. They will do
anything to keep power and they refuse to hand it over to anyone else
regardless of how decrepit and incompetent they are. I'm sure that the
Founding Fathers didn't have it in mind that the lifetime appointments to
the Supreme Court would mean it would be full of geriatric cases. Back in
the 1700s lifetime meant less than 50 so I doubt they thought anyone would
be on the court for more than 20 years at most. There's an amendment to the
Consititution that should be made, shortening the tenure of a Supreme Court
Justice to fifteen or twenty years at most, not something stupid like
banning flag burning.

Hawke

Cliff September 5th 05 10:15 AM

On 4 Sep 2005 05:56:32 -0700, wrote:

I bet the Liberals are just chewing nails...Since GW gets to name
another conservative to the high court...and possibly a third over the
next year or so..
Perhaps we can finally UN-FUC# this place after 40 years of liberal
reign.

al in Colorado
Conservative and damn proud of it!

More like stupid & proud of it.
Rehnquist WAS a conservative.
Nominated to the Superme court by Nixon.
To chief justice by ronnie raygun.

HTH
--
Cliff

Cliff September 5th 05 10:18 AM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 21:26:16 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

This is typical of a lot of people in powerful positions. They will do
anything to keep power and they refuse to hand it over to anyone else
regardless of how decrepit and incompetent they are.

Is this about the neocons & their sock puppet again?

Forgotten about those "WMDs" already, have you?
--
Cliff

Cliff September 5th 05 10:19 AM

wrote:

I'm sure that the
Founding Fathers didn't have it in mind that the lifetime appointments

I'd wager that you have no clue at all which US President
appointed the most people to the Superme Court.
Don't look it up. Just guess as usual.
--
Cliff

Cliff September 5th 05 10:21 AM

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:56:51 GMT, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

Thank you for the news, Cliff. It is important for all of us that do not
have newspapers, radios, TVs or access to the internet to have someone
like you to tell us what is going on. Thank you again.

You are welcome.
Many of the wingers ignore the news & facts.
--
Cliff

D Murphy September 5th 05 07:08 PM

Kirk Gordon wrote in
news:1125941057.4f4f9fdece6243fe02abac4fccfbb834@t eranews:

I'll take a guess. George Washington?

Yup. He appointed 11. FDR was a close second at 9.

wrote:

I'm sure that the
Founding Fathers didn't have it in mind that the lifetime appointments

I'd wager that you have no clue at all which US President
appointed the most people to the Superme Court.
Don't look it up. Just guess as usual.

--

Dan

John Chase September 5th 05 09:17 PM

"Hawke" wrote in message
As I expected. Rehnquist hung on to power regardless of increasing
incapacities until he croaked.

This is typical of a lot of people in powerful positions. They will do
anything to keep power and they refuse to hand it over to anyone else
regardless of how decrepit and incompetent they are. I'm sure that the
Founding Fathers didn't have it in mind that the lifetime appointments to
the Supreme Court would mean it would be full of geriatric cases. Back in
the 1700s lifetime meant less than 50 so I doubt they thought anyone would
be on the court for more than 20 years at most. There's an amendment to
the
Consititution that should be made, shortening the tenure of a Supreme
Court
Justice to fifteen or twenty years at most, not something stupid like
banning flag burning.

Who in power follows the Constitution anyway? Oh, to be sure, they let us
hold "erections" every two years, but do you really think they'd leave
quietly if we voted them all out?

-jc-

F. George McDuffee September 6th 05 05:36 PM

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:04:17 -0400, Cliff
wrote:
1924 - 2005
[
WASHINGTON (Sept. 3) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died
Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court
spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

While my deepest sympathy and condolences go to the Rehnquist
family, this again points up a potentially fatally flaw in our
judicial process. The time has come for annual mental and
physical evaluation of (at least all Federal) judges over the age
of 65, with mandatory retirement if they are not 100%.

Cliff September 6th 05 11:48 PM

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:36:01 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

The time has come for annual mental and
physical evaluation of

They missed that first part with the neocons, eh?
And Cheney's doctors are from Transylvania.
--
Cliff