Hawke

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Gunner

It might be the sport hunting, the war mongering, and the other
inconsistencies with the religion that are causing the confusion.

Hawke

Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:10:01 -0400, "Mecoman"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:45:22 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

I am a moral man without religion.

Perhaps. Morality does not require religion but
principles and consistent morality does require a
nature that seems to elude you.

"Morality" is from religion.

Morality is derived from religion, but can exist separate from it.

Name someplace where they tossed the religion out.
--
Cliff
Gio Medici

"Hawke" wrote:

The bull**** you smell..well..perhaps if you bathed a bit more
often...

Gunner

No, I know where it's coming from...your posts. But perhaps what I should do
when reading them is what the veterans at the VFW did when listening to a
Bush speech recently. Wear flaps over their ears that said "bull****
protector" on them.

Hawke

Here's where you should stop. You've already nailed him to the wall,
and he's trying to steer you into a ****-slinging contest. I'm
suprised he hasn't already called your mom a whore, as he did mine
when I made him feel a little bit insecure. He will never, ever admit
you're right. The only time I remember him admitting a mistake was
over whether or not bears eat kotex.

Gio
Gio Medici

"Hawke" wrote:

Atheists?

What do you call someone that doesn't know if there is such a thing as God
or not, but is actively anti religion? Is there a word for that? Areligious?

Hawke

Macrophage.

Gio
Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:19:26 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Why is it that what
Gunner says isn't believeable? How are things in fantasyland? Is that where
they hid the WMDs?

Hawke

The bull**** you smell..well..perhaps if you bathed a bit more
often...

Found those "WMDs" yet, Gunner?
--
Cliff

Cliff

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...otector%22+VFW
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:59:00 -0000, Jeff Dantzler
wrote:

You can be an agnostic and a libertarian but atheists claim
an unprovable knowledge (the non-existence of a god)."

and I disagreed asserting that I am both.

First you have to clearly define which "god"or "gods" ...
--
Cliff
jeff

Strabo wrote:
In OT - A test for Gunner & Stu & crew on Wed, 31 Aug 2005
06:12:41 -0400, by Cliff, we read:
Strabo,
For any of that to make any sense at all you must
first define "god" VBG.

You could substitute "banana" and it wouldn't
make any difference.

You must be seriously confused. Go down to your friendly neighborhood
grocers. I am quite sure you will find bananas there. I am sure they
will direct you if you ask them nicely. You can look at them, smell
them, feel them, and if you pay for them then you can also taste them.
Drop one and it makes a muffled thud. It is the most popular fruit in
the world. Proof of banana's existence is in simple observation by any
or all of our senses. Definition is by example in this case.

--
jeff
Guido

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:01:59 +0100, Guido wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Im Buddhist. So once again the Mind numbed Leftist Drone gets it all
wrong. You ever going to get any of your grand claims right????

"Your not here for the hunting, are you?"

Tell us again how many karma points you get for shooting Bambi?

Bambi was a cartoon figure painted on celluloid cells. Didn't you get
the memo?

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Precept 1:
Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:24:33 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

Atheists?

What do you call someone that doesn't know if there is such a thing as God
or not, but is actively anti religion? Is there a word for that? Areligious?

That was a logic & language lesson, Hawke.
Check the original context G.
--
Cliff

Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:33:11 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

Morality is derived from religion, but can exist separate from it.

No, that's not quite right. Morality existed before the coming of any
organized religion. It is an intrinsic trait in man so it always existed
apart from religion. Religions have just appropriated it to increase their
power and control the masses.

Were you correct then is it moral for you eat Gramps?
Yes or no.
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:35:31 -0500, "RAM^3"
wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

Atheists?

What do you call someone that doesn't know if there is such a thing as God
or not, but is actively anti religion? Is there a word for that?
Areligious?

An Agnostic Asshole

Sounds like we've struck either a fundie or a winger.
Or both G.
--
Cliff

Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:09:53 -0600, Gio Medici
wrote:

"Hawke" wrote:

The bull**** you smell..well..perhaps if you bathed a bit more
often...

Gunner

No, I know where it's coming from...your posts. But perhaps what I should do
when reading them is what the veterans at the VFW did when listening to a
Bush speech recently. Wear flaps over their ears that said "bull****
protector" on them.

Hawke

Here's where you should stop. You've already nailed him to the wall,
and he's trying to steer you into a ****-slinging contest. I'm
suprised he hasn't already called your mom a whore, as he did mine
when I made him feel a little bit insecure. He will never, ever admit
you're right. The only time I remember him admitting a mistake was
over whether or not bears eat kotex.

Ask him about "WMDs" & neocon winger lies G.
--
Cliff

shu

"Strabo" wrote in message
In OT - A test for Gunner & Stu & crew on Mon, 29 Aug 2005
16:55:48 -0000, by Jeff Dantzler, we read:

In article you wrote:

"atheist" is inconsistent with libertarian.

You can be an agnostic and a libertarian but atheists claim
an unprovable knowledge (the non-existence of a god).

I disagree and look forward to you expanding on why your statement
is valid.

Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence
of gods. I don't have to claim that no god exists to be an atheist.

No, you certainly don't have to but that's what you're doing
when you associate with 'atheist'.

Read my post to 'shu'.

Please understand I dont' agree with your post to me., but i figure your
kinda mired in your ways so it was futile to argue

I am. an atheist Libertarian, regardless of what you think.
I think you're using a somewhat antiquted defintion of libertarian,
there is no requirement of religion to be moral, this is a myth.
in fact, i would even go so far as to say that atheists can have better
morals, in the sense that we believe in doing good over bad out of a pure
sense of responsiblity, and honor, rather then a fear of going to hell, for
doing bad, or am elation of going to heaven for being good.

I do believe that people have intrinsic rights, among these life liberty and
the pursuit of happiness.
just cause jefferson believed in god, doesn't mean I have to..

but I do have a handy card that says member of the libertarian party. that
should be enough. I doubt Jefferson had one of those.

********
shu

Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:49:41 -0500, "shu" wrote:

i figure your kinda mired in your ways so it was futile to argue

Aw, give it a try anyway G.
http://www.nancysinatra.com/intro.html
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:49:41 -0500, "shu" wrote:

there is no requirement of religion to be moral, this is a myth.

Define "moral".
http://www.nancysinatra.com/intro.html
HTH
--
Cliff

Jeff Dantzler

wrote:

You can be an agnostic and a libertarian but atheists claim
an unprovable knowledge (the non-existence of a god)."

and I disagreed asserting that I am both.

First you have to clearly define which "god"or "gods" ...

The only quote above attributable to me is underlined.

The rest is by Strabo.

Jeff

Jeff Dantzler

In rec.crafts.metalworking shu wrote:

I am. an atheist Libertarian, regardless of what you think.
I think you're using a somewhat antiquted defintion of libertarian,
there is no requirement of religion to be moral, this is a myth.
in fact, i would even go so far as to say that atheists can have better
morals, in the sense that we believe in doing good over bad out of a pure
sense of responsiblity, and honor, rather then a fear of going to hell, for
doing bad, or am elation of going to heaven for being good.

I do believe that people have intrinsic rights, among these life liberty and
the pursuit of happiness.
just cause jefferson believed in god, doesn't mean I have to..

Thank you, Shu. I got tired of arguing.

Jeff

Gunner

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:53:26 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Gunner

It might be the sport hunting, the war mongering, and the other
inconsistencies with the religion that are causing the confusion.

Hawke

Sport hunting? War Mongering?

Cites?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

Gunner wrote:

Im Buddhist. So once again the Mind numbed Leftist Drone gets it all
wrong. You ever going to get any of your grand claims right????

"Your not here for the hunting, are you?"

Tell us again how many karma points you get for shooting Bambi?

Bambi was a cartoon figure painted on celluloid cells. Didn't you get
the memo?

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Precept 1:
Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

If I wished to be ordained a Theravada Monk, that would be nice.

I dont.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

The bull**** you smell..well..perhaps if you bathed a bit more
often...

Gunner

No, I know where it's coming from...your posts. But perhaps what I should do
when reading them is what the veterans at the VFW did when listening to a
Bush speech recently. Wear flaps over their ears that said "bull****
protector" on them.

Hawke

So why not spray paint the front of your monitor a nice white color
and using a Sharpie...Write Bullshi Protector.

Better yet, glue a cover over your keyboard with the same lettering,
that way we wont be subject to yours.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

Im Buddhist. So once again the Mind numbed Leftist Drone gets it all
wrong. You ever going to get any of your grand claims right????

"Your not here for the hunting, are you?"

Tell us again how many karma points you get for shooting Bambi?

Bambi was a cartoon figure painted on celluloid cells. Didn't you get
the memo?

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Precept 1:
Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

The Buddha made distinction between killing an animal and consumption
of meat, stressing that it is immoral conduct that makes one impure,
not the food one eats. In one of the Pali sutras belonging to the
Theravada lineage of Buddhism, the Buddha says that vegetarianism is
preferable, but as monks in ancient India were expected to receive all
their food by begging they had little or no control over their diet.
Furthermore, the Buddha did not wish to lay an extra burden on his lay
followers by demanding that their food should be vegetarian. During
the Buddha's time, there was no general rule requiring monks to
refrain from eating meat. In fact, at one point the Buddha
specifically refused to institute vegetarianism and the Pali Canon
records the Buddha himself eating meat on several occasions. There
were, however, rules prohibiting certain types of meat, such as human,
leopard and elephant meat. Monks are also prohibited from consuming an
animal if they have witnessed its death or know it was killed
specifically for them. This rule was not applied to the commercial
purchase of meat in the case of a general who sent a servant to
purchase meat specifically to feed the Buddha. Therefore, eating
commercially purchased meat is not prohibited.

n the modern world, attitudes toward vegetarianism vary by location.
In the Theravada countries of Southeast Asia and Sri Lanka, monks are
bound by the vinaya to accept almost any food that is offered to them,
often including meat, while in China and Vietnam monks are expected to
eat no meat. In Japan and Korea, some monks practice vegetarianism,
and most will do so at least when training at a monastery, but
otherwise they typically do eat meat. In Tibet, where vegetable
nutrition is historically very scarce, and the adopted vinaya was the
Nikaya Sarva-stiva-da, vegetarianism is very rare, although the Dalai
Lama and other esteemed lamas invite their audiences to adopt
vegetarianism when they can. In the West, of course, a wide variety of
practices are followed. Lay Buddhists generally follow dietary rules
less rigorously than monks.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Cliff

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:49:32 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

In OT - A test for Gunner & Stu & crew on Wed, 31 Aug 2005
12:33:11 -0700, by Hawke, we read:

Morality is derived from religion, but can exist separate from it.

No, that's not quite right. Morality existed before the coming of any
organized religion. It is an intrinsic trait in man so it always existed
apart from religion. Religions have just appropriated it to increase their
power and control the masses.

Hawke

As I agree with natural law I agree with you that morality is
intrinsic. Every man knows the essentials of right and wrong
even if never exposed to a religion. Man's moral nature
occurred BEFORE religion and not as a result of it.

Absolute rubbish.
"Morality" is a social peer-pressure thing and
can vary quite widely.
It's derived, mostly, from the religion context ...
religions dictate what local "morality" is. And,
depending on your class can vary as well.

Example: If you are a ruler like the shrubbie
you can indeed lie & murder.

It is this intrinsic awareness that prompted Jefferson to say,

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are
created equal..."

Rubbish. It SOUNDED good & sold.

Having said that, while religion is unabashedly used to control
behavior, in its simplest form it IS the repository of the values
of the society which invented the religion. Therefore, one can
learn morality from religion.

snort

Think of all the rights those preachers want to remove ....
and recall how things used to be with the full support
of various preachers .... and will be again if they are
allowed the power again.
Beware bush & his voices .... perhaps burning is involved?

http://whitehouse.org/dof/index.asp
http://whitehouse.org/initiatives/index.asp
http://whitehouse.org/policy/commandments.asp
--
Cliff
Cliff

wrote:

You can be an agnostic and a libertarian but atheists claim
an unprovable knowledge (the non-existence of a god)."

and I disagreed asserting that I am both.

First you have to clearly define which "god"or "gods" ...

The only quote above attributable to me is underlined.

The rest is by Strabo.

And my comment applies to all G.
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:43:40 -0600, Gio Medici
wrote:

Cliff wrote:

What do you call someone that doesn't know if there is such a thing as God
or not, but is actively anti religion? Is there a word for that? Areligious?

Hawke

Macrophage.

??

No dictionary?

No need of one on this one. See histiocyte.
Perhaps you made a typo?
--
Cliff

Cliff

wrote:

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Gunner

It might be the sport hunting, the war mongering, and the other
inconsistencies with the religion that are causing the confusion.

Hawke

Sport hunting? War Mongering?

Cites?

Ate those dogs, did you?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

snicker
--
Cliff
Cliff

http://www.perkydesigns.com/CHIMPANZEES-5.gif
--
Cliff

Cliff

Gunner wrote:

Im Buddhist. So once again the Mind numbed Leftist Drone gets it all
wrong. You ever going to get any of your grand claims right????

"Your not here for the hunting, are you?"

Tell us again how many karma points you get for shooting Bambi?

Bambi was a cartoon figure painted on celluloid cells. Didn't you get
the memo?

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Precept 1:
Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

The Buddha made distinction between killing an animal and consumption

snip stolen copied material

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...consumption%22
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 02:29:43 GMT, Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Empty yet?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 04:25:53 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

Yes you did. But why, of two successful people of the scientific
group, both with IQs of 140, would one believe and the other not?
Doesn't this refute any universal presumption of mental
deficiency among the religious?

Conditioning.
--
Cliff

Cliff

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 04:36:52 GMT, Strabo
wrote:

Define life as you will but you'll never fly.

Oh, goodie !!
Time for another repost G.

[
Now consider the tortoise and the eagle.

The tortoise is a ground-living creature. It is impossible to live
nearer the ground without being under it. Its horizons are a few
inches away. It has about as good a turn of speed as you need to hunt
down a lettuce. It has survived while the rest of evolution flowed
past it by being, on the whole, no threat to anyone and too much
trouble to eat.

And then there is the eagle. A creature of the air and high places,
whose horizons go all the way to the edge of the world. Eyesight keen
enough to spot the rustle of some small and squeaky creature half a
mile away. All power, all control. Lightning death on wings. Talons
and claws enough to make a meal of anything smaller than it is and at
least take a hurried snack out of anything bigger.

And yet the eagle will sit for hours on the crag and survey the
kingdoms of the world until it spots a distant movement and then it
will focus, focus, focus on the small shell wobbling among the bushes
down there on the desert. And it will leap . . .

And a minute later the tortoise finds the world dropping away from it.
And it sees the world for the first time, no longer one inch from the
ground but five hundred feet above it, and it thinks: what a great
friend I have in the eagle.

And then the eagle lets go.

And almost always the tortoise plunges to its death. Everyone knows
why the tortoise does this. Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake
off. No one knows why the eagle does this. There's good eating on a
tortoise but, considering the effort involved, there's much better
eating on practically anything else. It's simply the delight of eagles
to torment tortoises.

But of course, what the eagle does not realize is that it is
participating in a very crude form of natural selection.

One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.
]

"Small Gods", Terry Pratchett
--
Cliff
Mecoman

"Hawke" wrote in message
Morality is derived from religion, but can exist separate from it.

No, that's not quite right. Morality existed before the coming of any
organized religion. It is an intrinsic trait in man so it always existed
apart from religion. Religions have just appropriated it to increase their
power and control the masses.

Very noble thought. No way we can know for sure, and I doubt it, but I'd
love to think we were that advanced.

I'll ask Gramps.

Oops! I forgot. I ate him.

--
Jeff
It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedalian

Mecoman

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:10:01 -0400, "Mecoman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I am a moral man without religion.

Perhaps. Morality does not require religion but
principles and consistent morality does require a
nature that seems to elude you.

"Morality" is from religion.

Morality is derived from religion, but can exist separate from it.

Name someplace where they tossed the religion out.

Cannot, on a community basis. It is only on an individual basis, where a
person has moved away from religion, but still lives by a moral code.

--
Jeff
It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedalian
verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be verbalized
using compararatively simplistic lexicographical entitities.

Cliff

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 07:31:42 -0400, "Mecoman"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:10:01 -0400, "Mecoman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I am a moral man without religion.

Perhaps. Morality does not require religion but
principles and consistent morality does require a
nature that seems to elude you.

"Morality" is from religion.

Morality is derived from religion, but can exist separate from it.

Name someplace where they tossed the religion out.

Cannot, on a community basis. It is only on an individual basis, where a
person has moved away from religion, but still lives by a moral code.

Don't get confused.
"Moral code" or ethics?

One of the oft-cited reasons for religion (ask any two-faced fundie)
is that they would be very, very bad if left to themselves ... they
NEED superstitions to keep them, at least a little, behaving
properly.
The boogey-man will get them ....

OTOH Some dude died for their "sins" and all will be forgiven at
some later date by someone .... so what they do NOW really
does not matter much (as long as they don't ggt caught) unless
they are planning on dying soon.
--
Cliff
Bob Brock

wrote:

You seem to have some really weird ideas about Buddhism.

Gunner

It might be the sport hunting, the war mongering, and the other
inconsistencies with the religion that are causing the confusion.

Hawke

What you have to understand is that gummer has no real life. He has
to project a psudeo-life in the newsgroups. The few parts of his
pitiful existence that slip through should make us feel pity for him.
His inability to pay for health insurance. His inability to have
normal family relationships shown when he talks about how his wife
approves of his black girlfriend. His inability to meet his financial
obligations to pay his medical bills. There is no point in discussing
all the lies in detail. One only has to look at where he says one
thing one day and the opposite a little later. You can't say the
truth is not in him, but he hides it pretty well.

So, don't be mad at gummer guys. These few electrons floating around
in cyberspace are all that he has off a life.

Resetting controller on Ariston dishwasher bob Home Ownership 2 December 5th 06 10:56 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 05:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 09:01 AM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 06:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 09:51 PM