Paul Batozech

Default three phase question, again

Randy wrote:

Hello,

I have been running a small shop for several years and would now like
to get my first CNC machine. To do this I will need to upgrade my
phase convertor or get 3 phase from the power co.

The power co has agreed to hook me to an exsisting 120/240 open delta
supply ,there are two transfromers on the pole and the third leg is
wild, not sure of the exact voltage.

Will a CNC machine run off this? I know I have to make sure none of
the controls are hooked to the wild leg, but other than that will it
be OK?

I'm looking at a Cincinnati Arrow 750. 17 HP spindle which is more
than I need but the price and travels look good. However the 17 HP
will exceed my current phase convertor, which is not CNC rated anyway.

Randy
Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Hi Randy

Your message deals with two separate issues sort of rolled into one.
'Open delta' is just a transformer connection scheme to deliver a 3 ph
delta service with only two transformers. The 'wild leg' you refer to is
the product of a center tapped delta service, which allows the more
standard 120/240 V system to coexist with 240 3ph, all in the same
service.

Open delta can have stability problems compared to the same service done
with three transformers. This could be an issue with CNC machines and
their associated electronics.

The wild leg will probably not be a consideration as most likely the
machine you're looking at is 3ph and has no neutral connection back to
the panel. Any low voltage control the machine requires is most likely
done at the machine with control power transformers. It's my experience
that machine connections tend to be 3ph or 1ph, not both. I'd be
suspicious of a machine that required a 3ph connection and a separate
120 V 1ph connection. A work light on a mill might be an example, but
certainly not the machine controls themselves.

The only problem with center tapped delta services, other than using the
wild leg with a neutral which is just carelessness, is the fact that if
your service panel contains many 120v 1ph branch circuits you'll tend to
have unused slots in the panel. Careful placement of 3 ph and 2 pole 1ph
(anything with no neutral) branch circuits can minimize this trait.

Regards
Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:04:48 GMT, someone who calls themselves Randy
wrote:

Hello,

I have been running a small shop for several years and would now like
to get my first CNC machine. To do this I will need to upgrade my
phase convertor or get 3 phase from the power co.

Unless you want to go with a rotary converter, it's a lot easier in
the long run to let the Power Company provide the 3-phase to you
directly, and unless the other power users sharing that transformer
with you are real power-pigs it's usually cleaner power.

And it's consistent, there's no phase converter to break or wear
out, and no need to play around with balancing capacitors or pony
motors to get a rotary converter started.

The only time I suggest using a phase converter is when the utility
refuses to supply 3Ph (usually to a residence), a hobby shop where it
is only going to be used very occasionally, or if the utility starts
quoting 5-figure prices to extend the third leg line to your
location...

The power co has agreed to hook me to an exsisting 120/240 open delta
supply ,there are two transfromers on the pole and the third leg is
wild, not sure of the exact voltage.

The wild leg is somewhere around 208V to ground. This is why it
gets color-coded orange, and you have to be very careful to never
connect any 120v breakers to that leg. And put BIG warning labels on
the panel that it's a high-leg - I've seen 'handymen' accidentally
plug the breaker for a string of condo-garage fluorescents onto the
House Panel high-leg, and the results aren't pretty. ;-P

I'm going to be extending an existing 240V open-Delta well service
on Wednesday and Thursday to run a grape stemmer-crusher about 700'
away, which is why we're running #4 CU power leg wires for a (for now)
7 amp 3Ph motor load. Voltage drop is a serious concern, and I want
to have a big enough line there for when they need the next size
larger crusher in a few years.

They expect that with the heat in the Malibu hills they'll need to
start picking & crushing grapes by Friday or Saturday. Nothing like
leaving little things like the power line till the last minute... ;-)

(The other choices were a 700' run to a 480V Delta service, or a
1,500' run to a 240V 1PH service and a converter, both not good. The
ranch hands can break a phase converter too easily by plugging the
crusher motor with it jammed, and barbecue themselves "extra-crispy"
by messing around with a hot 480V line.)

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.

3 phase electrics jacob UK diy 10 May 18th 04 05:46 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 02:36 AM
Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply? Pandora UK diy 32 October 5th 03 03:33 AM
Three phase question Jeridiah Metalworking 7 August 29th 03 11:45 PM
3 phase 240VAC to 120 VAC single phase? Jack Fisher Metalworking 13 July 16th 03 06:49 PM