DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you cut the sank off of an end mill? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/116626-can-you-cut-sank-off-end-mill.html)

Dan August 11th 05 04:56 PM

Can you cut the sank off of an end mill?

Total newbie here. I have got a 1/4" carbide end mill (1 1/4" cutter - 4"
O.A.L.) that is to long. I would like to cut about 1/2" off of the shank
and then use it . Is this ok to do? I could mill it off or cut it with an
abrasive wheel. Thanks all

jim rozen August 11th 05 05:26 PM

In article , Dan says...

Total newbie here. I have got a 1/4" carbide end mill (1 1/4" cutter - 4"
O.A.L.) that is to long. I would like to cut about 1/2" off of the shank
and then use it . Is this ok to do? I could mill it off or cut it with an
abrasive wheel. Thanks all

Solid carbide? You're going to need a diamond wheel to do that.

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney August 11th 05 05:39 PM

Score it (notch it) with an appropriate grind wheel. Be careful to not
breathe the dust from a "green" wheel. Wrap a rag around it and clamp in
the vise. Smack it with a hammer to break at the score line. Same
procedure works with HSS end mills.

BS
. ..