DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   24" shear (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/116625-24%22-shear.html)

[email protected] August 11th 05 11:57 AM

24" shear

Im quoting on a 24" shear die for high speed cutting plastic labels
minimum .004" thick. Im thinking of trying to maintain a clearance of
..0005" or less over a length of 24". Im trying to avoid the blades from
touching one another. Anyone here had experience designing & building
one of these? Input appreciated. thanx jerry

Tom Gardner August 11th 05 02:36 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Im quoting on a 24" shear die for high speed cutting plastic labels
minimum .004" thick. Im thinking of trying to maintain a clearance of
.0005" or less over a length of 24". Im trying to avoid the blades from
touching one another. Anyone here had experience designing & building
one of these? Input appreciated. thanx jerry

How many layers at a time? How fast? Why no-touch?

nick August 11th 05 03:41 PM

Is this a rotary die or literally a shear?

Nick

[email protected] August 12th 05 08:10 PM

1 or 2 layers ata time looks to be 100 cuts/
minute no touch=no blade gallingor
side wear

[email protected] August 12th 05 08:11 PM

just a regular guillotine die nick

Tom Gardner August 12th 05 10:02 PM

Well, not too fast or too much to cut. I just can't see you maintaining the
clearance and getting a good cut. How about making the blades cheap enough
to negate wear or TiN coat them.

ps.com...

Ned Simmons August 13th 05 02:08 AM

In article 1123873867.651439.117340
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, says...
just a regular guillotine die nick

If you can, you might want to think about a rotary shear.
Last time I purchased them rotary knife blades were
remarkably cheap, if you pick something that's intended for
common machinery. I believe 3" or 4" diameter blades made
from D2, ground with a special edge profile, were less than
$20 each.

Ned Simmons

daniel peterman August 13th 05 02:25 AM

Buy a set of Kuttrimmer blades. They are wicked sharp and about a
hundred bucks. Kinda like a paper cutter on steroids. I have cut
hundreds of thousands of labels and overlays with accuracies to .003" in
plastics and foils up .020" thickness.