Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
RoyJ

Default Compressor repower: single phase vs. RPC

Single phase. Why would anyone chose a 3 phase motor versus single if
they have to run a converter? And if you have 3 phase, you don't need
the converter. Don't forget to make the motor pulley slightly smaller.

Ignoramus6689 wrote:

I am a sucker for lightly fixing old stuff.

I have a 2 HP 3 phase Speedaire compressor that I bought for resale
purposes.

I also have the following:

1) all stuff for making an RPC with a 7.5 HP idler (cost about $33)

OR

2) A single phase 2 HP motor that I bought today for $10.

So, I can repower my compressor in two ways:

A) Keep it 3 phase and build an RPC for it, sans enclosure. Sell it as
"2 HP Speedaire compressor with 7.5HP phase converter". Sell 2 HP
single phase motor separately.

B) Repower it with a 2 HP single phase motor and sell as "2HP single
phase speedaire compressor". Throw away the 2 HP 3 phase motor.

Both A and B will likely take me about an hour, unless I have to make
adapter plates.

The question is, which route will bring me more $$$.