Mario

Default WTH: electrician/EE type in Dallas (Irving) area for milling machinepower conversion

The short story is that I have a milling machine that is factory wired to run off of 220V 3 phase
power, but is capable of being rewired to run off of single phase power. I originally wired it up
using a rotary phase converter, but the DC spindle amplifier keeps malfunctioning becuase it
apparently does not like the artificially generated third phase of power.

I currently am waiting to see if anyone replies to my posted questions regarding this problem, but
if no one does, then I will be looking to hire someone to come in and rewire it. It is probably not
too difficult to do, but I want someone more competent in the area of electronics than myself to do
it because I do not want to take the risk of rewiring it incorrectly - and then smelling smoke.
Miswiring this machine is not an option! I contacted a technician who works with these machines in
California, and he estimated three hours or less to complete the work.

I have all wiring diagrams and manuals here, and have gotten a good understanding of what needs to
be done to the machine. Any recommendations and quotes will be appreciated. I am individual, (ie
not a big comapny) and this machine is in my garage - so I am hoping to find someone who will give
me a square deal quote on the work involved, and preferably be willing to meet me at my place in
the evening. So a moonlighting electrician/electronics technician will be great, but I can make
plans for a daytime meeting if necessary.

you can read my original post on this topic at:

Thanks for your help!

Mario

carl mciver

"Mario" wrote in message
| The short story is that I have a milling machine that is factory wired to
run off of 220V 3 phase
| power, but is capable of being rewired to run off of single phase power.
I originally wired it up
| using a rotary phase converter, but the DC spindle amplifier keeps
malfunctioning becuase it
| apparently does not like the artificially generated third phase of power.

Have you tried "rotating" the three phase wiring? By moving A to B to C
the motors will still rotate in the same direction but
the electronics will see a better phase. If it runs the wrong way then
you've reversed two phases. Between the two "good" phases is where you want
the electronics to work off of, since I take it there's a power supply that
comes off of it. It shouldn't be too hard to figure that one out.

Bugs

Also check the running current in each leg. They should be reasonably
equal while running under load. If there is a significant difference
between legs when idling & under load, the converter is a static type
and is probably not suitable for your application.
Bugs

Roger Shoaf

Most places will have an electric motor shop within a reasonable distance.
Most of these folks do a real good job with this kind of thing and can test
everything to make sure it is up to snuff. Look in the phone book under
electric motor and you should find at least 4 or 5 in the Dallas area. They
might even make house calls.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Mario" wrote in message
[...]

paul

"Mario" wrote in message
[...]

You might try - http://advancedcncservice.com/

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,

Paul Sevin
Ovation Engineering, Inc.
productivity solutions for CNC machinery
http://www.ovationengineering.com
fix the email "_" to reply directly

Pinging: All Wreckers regarding nutcase posting as me, Bay Area Dave. Puff Griffis Woodworking 40 March 13th 04 02:01 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
need a tile/shower man in Dallas area Home Repair 2 November 16th 03 01:47 PM
WTB: Ladder in North Texas area (Dallas) Rei Home Repair 1 September 6th 03 08:23 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM