DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/11617-best-currently-production-lathe-vertical-milling-machine.html)

BillLee September 11th 03 07:07 PM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

If money were no object, and country of origin not an issue, which manual
lathe within the 6 to 12 inch swing range; and which manual vertical mill
with a work volume of approximately a Bridgeport would you purchase?

Thanks for youyr opinions.

Grant Erwin September 11th 03 08:37 PM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

The lathe is easy. Buy a Hardinge 10EE.

I don't know what the "good" mills are that are still for sale. You can
still buy a new Bridgeport now that they're back in production again (I
hear). Buy a DRO for the mill so it comes factory installed. Get at least
an X axis powerfeed.

Grant

Karl Townsend September 11th 03 10:09 PM

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
The lathe is easy. Buy a Hardinge 10EE.

No doubt, 10EE. But doesn't Monarch still make these? I haven't kept up with
companies buying each other.

Karl, "proud 10EE owner" Townsend

Dean September 12th 03 03:13 AM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

"jim rozen"
Hardinge HLVH and a Deckel, probably an FP2

Jim

Is the FP2 still made ? I thought everything that I liked had to be
discontinued, banned, removed from sale, drastically changed or otherwise
stopped.

Dean.

Gunner September 12th 03 06:30 AM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:07:43 -0700, "BillLee"
wrote:

If money were no object, and country of origin not an issue, which manual
lathe within the 6 to 12 inch swing range; and which manual vertical mill
with a work volume of approximately a Bridgeport would you purchase?

Thanks for youyr opinions.

For the lathe, either a Hardinge HLV-H, or as a distant second, A
Harrison.

Mills..hummmmm a Deckel
Followed by nearly any name brand BP clone

Gunner

--
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;

Abrasha September 14th 03 05:48 AM

Grant Erwin wrote:

The lathe is easy. Buy a Hardinge 10EE.

There is no such lathe. It's either some "Hardinge" model OR a Monarch 10EE.
And when asked for "best currently in production lathe" abviously the Monarch
10EE would not be a choice.

BillLee wrote:
If money were no object, and country of origin not an issue, which manual
lathe within the 6 to 12 inch swing range; and which manual vertical mill
with a work volume of approximately a Bridgeport would you purchase?

Thanks for youyr opinions.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha September 14th 03 05:50 AM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

jim rozen wrote:

In article , BillLee says...

If money were no object, and country of origin not an issue, which manual
lathe within the 6 to 12 inch swing range; and which manual vertical mill
with a work volume of approximately a Bridgeport would you purchase?

Hardinge HLVH and a Deckel, probably an FP2

Subject line reads "currently in production" :)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Sunworshiper September 14th 03 08:11 AM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 03:50:02 GMT, Abrasha wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , BillLee says...

If money were no object, and country of origin not an issue, which manual
lathe within the 6 to 12 inch swing range; and which manual vertical mill
with a work volume of approximately a Bridgeport would you purchase?

Hardinge HLVH and a Deckel, probably an FP2

Subject line reads "currently in production" :)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

I ran into a Hardinge salesman in Reno 2.2 yrs. ago and he said they
sold lathes , but they were really expensive.

randee September 19th 03 11:29 PM

Best currently in production lathe and vertical milling machine?

You probably meant a Monarch 10EE, good choice. AFAIK you can still
order one. The Hardinge is an HLVH, also a good choice. The shop I
used at White Sands had Monarch's and LeBlond's; the shop for the
research labs back at the university had Clausing big lathes, but they
also had a Hardinge or two.

Grant Erwin wrote:

The lathe is easy. Buy a Hardinge 10EE.

--