DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Twin cities (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/115771-twin-cities.html)

[email protected] August 3rd 05 09:00 PM

Twin cities

I used to live in the Twin Cities in MN. but have been in Ca. for 15
yrs. I'm going there from aug. 10 t0 15.for a class reunion. Can anyone
tell me about places or events within a radius of about 200 mi. that
would be interesting to someone who's into machinery, machining, etc?
I'm familiar with the science and railroad museums.
Thanx,
Engineman

Steve Peterson August 3rd 05 09:56 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I used to live in the Twin Cities in MN. but have been in Ca. for 15
yrs. I'm going there from aug. 10 t0 15.for a class reunion. Can anyone
tell me about places or events within a radius of about 200 mi. that
would be interesting to someone who's into machinery, machining, etc?
I'm familiar with the science and railroad museums.
Thanx,
Engineman

I thought Amble's Machinery on Cedar Ave in Minneapolis was an interesting
bit of history. If it is the same place I am thinking of it is a few 1800's
buildings chock full of machines for sale.
Steve

Pete Bergstrom August 3rd 05 11:35 PM

Steve Peterson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I used to live in the Twin Cities in MN. but have been in Ca. for 15
yrs. I'm going there from aug. 10 t0 15.for a class reunion. Can anyone
tell me about places or events within a radius of about 200 mi. that
would be interesting to someone who's into machinery, machining, etc?
I'm familiar with the science and railroad museums.

I thought Amble's Machinery on Cedar Ave in Minneapolis was an interesting
bit of history. If it is the same place I am thinking of it is a few 1800's
buildings chock full of machines for sale.

I believe you're thinking of Harris Machinery rather than Ambles. The
last time I was at Ambles (last winter), there were few or no machines
for sale, a little section of tooling but quite a lot of materials.

Pete (in St. Paul)

Steve Peterson August 4th 05 12:05 AM

"Pete Bergstrom" wrote in message
Steve Peterson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I used to live in the Twin Cities in MN. but have been in Ca. for 15
yrs. I'm going there from aug. 10 t0 15.for a class reunion. Can anyone
tell me about places or events within a radius of about 200 mi. that
would be interesting to someone who's into machinery, machining, etc?
I'm familiar with the science and railroad museums.

I thought Amble's Machinery on Cedar Ave in Minneapolis was an
interesting bit of history. If it is the same place I am thinking of it
is a few 1800's buildings chock full of machines for sale.

I believe you're thinking of Harris Machinery rather than Ambles. The last
time I was at Ambles (last winter), there were few or no machines for
sale, a little section of tooling but quite a lot of materials.

Pete (in St. Paul)

I stand corrected. Amble's is the place with all the smaller surplus parts.
What is the address for Harris Machinery?
I was both places two or three years ago and found treasures at both. Press
brake tooling at Ambles and a centrifugal blower at Harris along with a
bunch of smaller items.
Steve

RoyJ August 4th 05 02:39 AM

Harris Machinery
501 30 Av SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414 - 3218
(612) 331-1829
Be sure you get all the way to the 3rd floor attic

Mutiple steam engine, sawing, thrashing shows, most of them are the last
weekend of the month tho. Search here
http://www.exploreminnesota.com/events/events.html

www.farmamerica.org
www.mnmachinerymuseum.com

Duluth area has lots on the waterfront, might be cooler too!

Martin H. Eastburn August 4th 05 05:15 AM

wrote:

I used to live in the Twin Cities in MN. but have been in Ca. for 15
yrs. I'm going there from aug. 10 t0 15.for a class reunion. Can anyone
tell me about places or events within a radius of about 200 mi. that
would be interesting to someone who's into machinery, machining, etc?
I'm familiar with the science and railroad museums.
Thanx,
Engineman

John -

The Outback Restaurant on the third floor of the worlds (still ?) shopping center.
That one is or was a class Outback. Full blown.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ken Moffett August 4th 05 12:46 PM

"Steve Peterson" 123@nospam wrote in
:

"Pete Bergstrom" wrote in message
Steve Peterson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

501 30th Ave SE
Minneapolis MN

Don Stauffer August 4th 05 03:58 PM

wrote:
I used to live in the Twin Cities in MN. but have been in Ca. for 15
yrs. I'm going there from aug. 10 t0 15.for a class reunion. Can anyone
tell me about places or events within a radius of about 200 mi. that
would be interesting to someone who's into machinery, machining, etc?
I'm familiar with the science and railroad museums.
Thanx,
Engineman

You're a week too early. On the following weekend is the Nowthen Power
Show (threshing, old engines, etc.)

There is a car museum in Rogers.

There is an aviation museum (small one) at the Anoka County Airport.

There is an Air National Guard museum at the big airport, but it has
been closed most of time since 9/11, and is just reopening, so it is not
open every weekend. Try googling Air National Guard, museum, and Twin
Cities.