DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Weight of a Solberga SE4 drill press ? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/114396-weight-solberga-se4-drill-press.html)

Albert1234 July 23rd 05 08:18 AM

Weight of a Solberga SE4 drill press ?

I have the opportunity to buy a Solberga SE4 gear head, floor standing drill
press. Does anyone know how much these weigh? Is it possible to tilt the
drill press and then slide it into the back of a pickup?

Richard J Kinch July 23rd 05 08:59 AM

Albert1234 writes:

I have the opportunity to buy a Solberga SE4 gear head, floor standing
drill press. Does anyone know how much these weigh? Is it possible
to tilt the drill press and then slide it into the back of a pickup?

No idea about the weight, but one way to deal with such things is to bring
some sturdy, long lumber and lots of C-clamps to make long handles. One
could tip in perhaps 500 lbs or more safely that way, solo.

rigger July 23rd 05 02:50 PM

Looking at a picture of an SE4 on eBay I'd guess it should weigh around
300-350 pounds. Run your table all the way down and use a chain or
heavy non-streching rope between the front center of the truck bed and
the column at the height of the truck bed. Don't hook to the top of
the machine, it'll loosen-up too much when you tip and you'll find
yourself trying to muscle all the weight. If this is done properly it
should be almost impossible for it to fall backward and it should
balance fairly well at this point. The tendency of the machine will be
to twist the head into a downward position, which you'll want to
overcome. In the pix it looks as though you should twist it so the
left side of the head is down (put tarps or cardboard under the head to
cushion).
One last thing. Double check the tightness of the head and base to the
column. I've seen more than one drill press head and base loosen-up
when tipped and twisted in this manner.

Good luck,
dennis in nca