david

Default Boyer Shultz Six Twelve Deluxe help needed

I had the chance to get a used (very used) surface grinder and I took it.
I've never used one before so I read some of the previous threads but still
have some questions.

First, if anyone has a manual I'm willing to pay for a copy.

Main problem is this: If I hold spindle at the threads, I can rotate it
about 30 degrees before it catches the motor shaft. I can twist it back
and forth and feel it bang as it engages with the shaft. I assume there's a
key in there but I don't know how to remove the spindle from the shaft. (I
hope I'm using the right names for these parts).

Under power there is a rattling sound every few seconds which can be felt
when touching the wheel cover. This disappears completely the moment the
power is switched off and the wheel is winding down. As soon as the power
is off everything's as smooth as can be with no noises or vibrations at all.

The spindle doesn't seem to have any play perpendicular to it's axis.

A few questions:

1) The spindle only seems long enough to take a 1/2" wheel, is this true?

2) I've read about truing and balancing the wheel. But the fit between the
wheel and spindle play in it. How do you balance the wheel if the center
of the hole isn't concentric with the center of the spindle?

3) MSC has several types of diamond dressers; which point is recommended?

4) I've read about feeding in one direction only and watching the wear on
the wheel by looking at where the sparks come from. I've been feeding out
(toward me) 1/3 rev of the handwheel each pass, .033", is this OK?

5) When running the X-axis, do you go in one direction only (like you were
milling) or can you go back over the work the other way to get ready for the
next pass? I'm grinding dry.

6) How should I set the dial on top of the lube pump, and what lubricant
does it take? What other lubrication is required?

7) It came with one wheel, a Norton 32A, 8" x 1/2" x 1-1/4". The wheel is
now only 5-3/4". Do you typically use a wheel down that far? Any
recommendations for mild steel, for HSS 5% cobalt (lathe bits), for
aluminum, 6061-T6?

8) Using this wheel on mild steel, what feed rates are appropriate for .001"
or .0005" removal. I'm feeding by hand of course.

9) How much do you torque the nut that holds the wheel (or how little)?

10) Do you usually wear a dust mask when grinding?

Well, that's enough for now. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
David

Mike Henry

"david" wrote in message
I had the chance to get a used (very used) surface grinder and I took it.
I've never used one before so I read some of the previous threads but

still
have some questions.

First, if anyone has a manual I'm willing to pay for a copy.

Main problem is this: If I hold spindle at the threads, I can rotate it
about 30 degrees before it catches the motor shaft. I can twist it back
and forth and feel it bang as it engages with the shaft. I assume there's

key in there but I don't know how to remove the spindle from the shaft. (I
hope I'm using the right names for these parts).

snip

I'm not familiar with that grinder but had an identical problem with an old
Enco T&C grinder. As Ned and Gunner have surmised the problem was a
disintegrated spider coupling and AIR, Lovejoy made a replacement. I do
recall getting the parts from a local Motion Industries store for $15 or so.

david

Thanks to everyone for the help. Sounds like I'd better get a manual and
see what the connection looks like so I can get the spindle off and locate a
replacement spider.

Regards,
David

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"david" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:45:35 -0400, "david" wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the help. Sounds like I'd better get a manual and
see what the connection looks like so I can get the spindle off and locate a
replacement spider.

Regards,
David

You pull the motor, not the spindle G

Gunner

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"david" wrote in message
[...]

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

david

Default Boyer Schultz Six Twelve Deluxe help needed

I knew I shouldn't have parked it so close to the wall!

I got a faxed drawing and disassembly procedure from the parts dept. at
Boyer Schultz today. They want $35 for the rubber spider, and $350 for the
coupling assembly, if needed.

-David

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:45:35 -0400, "david" wrote:

You pull the motor, not the spindle G

Gunner

david

Gunner,

I pulled the motor this afternoon and got the spider at Grainger's for
$2.93.

Thanks for your offer, but the coupler looked OK. I guess it hadn't been
run too long with the spider busted up.

I wonder how many fish they catch at $35 a pop.

Regards,
David

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:01:03 -0400, "david" wrote:

I knew I shouldn't have parked it so close to the wall!

I got a faxed drawing and disassembly procedure from the parts dept. at
Boyer Schultz today. They want $35 for the rubber spider, and $350 for

the
coupling assembly, if needed.

-David

Chuckle..Ive got some lovejoy couplings around here somewhere Ill let
you have for a hell of a lot less than that..more like for the
shipping.

When you get the motor off, and find the problem, post the motor and
spindle shaft diameters, and how long the unit h as to be, and Ill
rummage around for you, if yours is toast.

Gunner

.. .