DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sufficient material for aquarium stand (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/114102-sufficient-material-aquarium-stand.html)

Roy July 20th 05 08:15 PM

Sufficient material for aquarium stand

I have a heap of just slightly undersized 3/8" steel roundstock, and
have been kicking it around on using it to make an aquarium stand to
support a 20 gal tank.......which would be in the ball park of approx
250# of weight when filled with water and gravel.

My plan was to use the 3/8" roundstock and form legs in the shape of a
U......with the bottom of the U itself being approximately an 1 1/2"
or 1" bend radius......with the top spread so it can attach
approximately 3 or 4 inches from corner of top frame on the
back/front and sides......these legs would be welded to 1 1/4" angle
to form the top frame where the tank sets, and they would also be
braced approximately 10" from the floor with either a series of bars
fashioned into a shelf or 1/2" angle iron with a wooden shelf.....

so there would be a total of 8 pieces of 3/8" roundstock since they
are formed like a U that woud be supporting the tank. Think its
sufficient or do I really need 1/2" roundstock. OAH of stand would be
approx 30" and bottom of the U formed legs will be spread slightly
wider than the top frame.

"The original frugal ponder"