DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Way OT - Computer problem... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/113774-way-ot-computer-problem.html)

[email protected] July 18th 05 01:34 PM

Way OT - Computer problem...

No real metalworking content, but you guys seem to know something about
everything. So here goes.My son was re-installing a game (Battlefield
2, if that helps...)on his computer. Partway through, the instalation
failed for some reason. It sort of hung for a second and then bailed
out of the installation, no error messages or anything. The game used
the "Installshield" installer. Now, whenever you try to install
anything that uses the Installshield installer, it won't do it. It
opens the installer, runs through a couple of "preparing the installer"
progress boxes, then just blinks and vanishes, never completing the
install. Nothing shows up in the "add/remove programs" thing in the
control panel. We have done all of the virus and adware/malware scans
and tried running a registry repair utility (Registry Mechanic) to no
avail. While I know my way around OK, I am certainly no computer
wizard.

Any ideas? Anything else I ought to try? Anybody seen this before?
HELP!!
The computer is an athalon 3200, OS is Win2K pro.

Thanks for any thoughts,
AL

[email protected] July 18th 05 02:42 PM

Is that typically a seperate application? I guess that I always
assumed that that was something bundled with the software being
installed.

I don't recall seeing it in the add/remove programs list in the
control panel, but I am not sure that I looked. Or do I just find it on
the C: drive and delete it? Not at that computer now, but I will take a
look. I appreciate the help. Thanks,
AL

[email protected] July 18th 05 03:53 PM

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Win2k might not like the application. It being geared toward server apps,
I've found it not to be a good OS for gaming. Try XP. Is this box a
server?

No, it is not a server. We have run this app on that particular
computer and OS for some time with no problems. I do have a number of
apps that are dicey on Win2K, so I appreciate what you are saying.
Thanks,
AL

HotRod July 18th 05 04:24 PM

Try deleting the Install Shield engine

..\program files\common files\installshield\engine\6\...

[email protected] July 18th 05 06:34 PM

HotRod wrote:
Try deleting the Install Shield engine

..\program files\common files\installshield\engine\6\...

I will try that tonight.
Thanks!

-AL

[email protected] July 19th 05 12:45 PM

HotRod wrote:
Try deleting the Install Shield engine

..\program files\common files\installshield\engine\6\...

That did it!
Thanks very much for the help, much appreciated.
-AL