DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Homemade Brake..... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/11260-homemade-brake.html)

Dale August 23rd 03 11:34 PM

Homemade Brake.....

I have the need to wrap a plywood box with thin aluminum sheeting.
The box is 4ft X 4ft. I need to bend the edges of the sheeting about
1/2" along the 4 ft edges in order to wrap the entire box.
Anyone ever rig up a makeshift brake out of wood in
order to accomplish this? I don't want to spend $400 and up for a
factory made break if I can help it. Thanks.

Dale

Old Nick August 24th 03 12:25 AM

Homemade Brake.....

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:34:23 GMT, Dale wrote
something
.......and in reply I say!:

I reckon you should use a truck start....oh.Wrong kind of brake G
************************************************** ****************************************
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

ATP August 24th 03 12:53 AM

Homemade Brake.....

Dale wrote:
I have the need to wrap a plywood box with thin aluminum sheeting.
The box is 4ft X 4ft. I need to bend the edges of the sheeting about
1/2" along the 4 ft edges in order to wrap the entire box.
Anyone ever rig up a makeshift brake out of wood in
order to accomplish this? I don't want to spend $400 and up for a
factory made break if I can help it. Thanks.

Dale

You can get a hand held seaming tool that will bend about 12" at a time,
which you could work down the line, or if it doesn't have to be that neat
just bend it in place over the edge of the box with a piece of angle iron
clamped on top.

Jim Hudson August 24th 03 02:00 AM

Homemade Brake.....

Hi,

When I needed to do that, I used 2 angle iron pieces salvaged from a bed
frame plus several "C-clamps" and a 2 pound hammer.

I have seen my dad make a cut in the middle of a length of 2 x 4 (not
cut through to either end) with a table saw and then use "C-clamps" and
his hammer to bend aluminum flashing. You just need to keep the clamps
close to the area being bent and then move them along. The saw cut
gives you a sharp edge to bend on and leaving the ends uncut sure helps
as you need 6 hands while you are getting the wood clamped and the metal
located at the same time.

Jim Hudson

[email protected] August 24th 03 02:59 AM

Homemade Brake.....

Dale wrote in message . ..
I have the need to wrap a plywood box with thin aluminum sheeting.
The box is 4ft X 4ft. I need to bend the edges of the sheeting about
1/2" along the 4 ft edges in order to wrap the entire box.
Anyone ever rig up a makeshift brake out of wood in
order to accomplish this? I don't want to spend $400 and up for a
factory made break if I can help it. Thanks.

Dale

go to a sheet metal shop,

Brett August 25th 03 04:59 AM

Homemade Brake.....

Try a rental place, or a Home Depot. It would probably be less than 40 bucks
a day to rent a brake to bend aluminum flashing.

Dale August 26th 03 12:51 AM

Homemade Brake.....

Thanks for all the posts. I'm sure one of these
methods will work just fine, I'll give em a try.
Thanks again to all who responded.

Dale