Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Help bending 1/8 CRS

"William G Darby" wrote in message
snip-------
Does anyone have any advise before I say or do anything. Getting a little
chaffed. Not sure who beside my own inexperience is at fault.

Bill,
Often the grain direction dictates success or failure. If you are
starting with material that rolling direction is known, be sure to make your
bends across the grain, not parallel with it. May not work, but can make
the difference in many cases.

Good luck! Sure as hell is frustrating to do everything right and get poor
results.

Harold

Gunner

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:39:16 -0400, "William G Darby"
wrote:

I called the seller of the metal and they quite frankly told me that CRS
will do this and that I should have ordered hot rolled. (The spec clearly
indicated 1/8" CRS with a 1/16 bend radius)

Does anyone have any advise before I say or do anything. Getting a little
chaffed. Not sure who beside my own inexperience is at fault.

The seller was right. CRS will crack. I bend it all the time, but I
heat it red hot with a O/A torch. If I dont. It will crack.

Been there, done that, had to do it all over again.

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989)
André Peltier

Thanks Gunner and I also want to thank Harold

I did think that I did everything right but a more experianced guy would already have known about this cracking problem. What really ****es me off is that I had this job before and I subbed out the material buying, cutting and bending and my friend "Mo" did a wonderful job with the same material (1018) and he did a
1/16 radius bend to boot.!!!!

Heading back to the metal seller's place to see if his 1018 bends the same as the 1018 that he sold me.

we'll see
Bill

wrote:

I called the seller of the metal and they quite frankly told me that CRS
will do this and that I should have ordered hot rolled. (The spec clearly
indicated 1/8" CRS with a 1/16 bend radius)

Does anyone have any advise before I say or do anything. Getting a little
chaffed. Not sure who beside my own inexperience is at fault.

Ted Edwards

William G Darby wrote:

Have a small job to bend up come wall brackets from one and two inch 1/8"
CRS (20 each)

I purchased the CRS brought it home , cut it down to length, machines
both ends, drilled the holes and buffed all the pieces. When it came time to
do the 1/16" radius corner bend it cracked at the bend. I opened the radius
out to 1/8" by hand filing the jaw of the brake. Still cracked. Opened the
radius out a little more with the same result. It cracked.

Piece of cake IF you bend it hot. Do you have a forge or torch capable
of heating it to red heat? If accuracy and repeatability is important,
weld up a little jig out of steel angle
--- |
| ----
| ----

heat bend area, slip in jig to stop, hand bend and hammer to tighten
bend radius.

Ted

Tim Williams

Hey guys, I seem to remember that mild steel doesn't harden much.. so
how does it break across the grain? What is the annealed vs. work
hardened hardness and strength?

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

"William G Darby" wrote in message
I called the seller of the metal and they quite frankly told me that CRS
will do this and that I should have ordered hot rolled. (The spec clearly
indicated 1/8" CRS with a 1/16 bend radius)

Mark Rand

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:01:39 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

Hey guys, I seem to remember that mild steel doesn't harden much.. so
how does it break across the grain? What is the annealed vs. work
hardened hardness and strength?

Tim

The problem is that there is a lot of stress locked up in the average lump of
cold rolled steel. I don't know the numbers, but if you take a 6" length of
1/2" square CRS and cut it down the middle, you will find that the two pieces
are bowed bay 1/8" or more by the now unequalised stress. bring it up to
orange heat for a few minutes and let it cool down without quenching it and
it's a different animal.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Pipe Bending TOGGY UK diy 56 May 25th 04 10:05 PM
Pipe bending dice Cass Metalworking 80 August 9th 03 01:53 AM
scroll bending jig Keith Marshall Metalworking 0 July 10th 03 01:57 AM