DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Way covers for milling table (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/111677-way-covers-milling-table.html)

[email protected] July 6th 05 06:59 PM

Way covers for milling table

I can cut a 1'X 1' (expanded) way cover from MMC for $27.00 and it
would probably suit my requirements but am wondering if there are any
better deals out there? Any homemade substitutes? Currently using two
paper towels taped to the saddle.

Richard J Kinch July 6th 05 07:17 PM

Any homemade substitutes?

10 mil PETE plastic sheets in an accordian fold. Disguised as clear GBC
binding covers at the office supply store.

DeepDiver July 6th 05 08:18 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I can cut a 1'X 1' (expanded) way cover from MMC for $27.00 and it
would probably suit my requirements but am wondering if there are any
better deals out there? Any homemade substitutes? Currently using two
paper towels taped to the saddle.

If it doesn't have to be accordion-folded, then you can use plastic floor
"runner". This stuff is sold by the foot off 3' or 4' wide rolls (can't
remember) for very cheap at local hardware store; I got mine at OSH for my
lathe ways. Typically, it comes in a clear vinyl (relatively stiff), or a
dark-brown/black rubber-like material (much more pliable) which I prefer.
The stuff I got has ribs across the top and a smooth bottom. I cut it so
that the ribs (which run the length of the material) are perpendicular to my
ways so it rolls up nicely when I need to, and it makes it easier to brush
the chips off.

- Michael

steamer July 7th 05 01:33 AM

--If it's a Bridgeport-type mill you might want to bite the
bullet and get a set from Gortite; worth the money in the long run,
IMO.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

[email protected] July 7th 05 04:26 PM

10 mil PETE plastic sheets in an accordian fold. Disguised as clear GBC
binding covers at the office supply store.

Thanks all for the suggestions. The above seems most interesting, will
investigate further.

Chuck Sherwood July 7th 05 04:31 PM

If it doesn't have to be accordion-folded, then you can use plastic floor
"runner". This stuff is sold by the foot off 3' or 4' wide rolls (can't
remember) for very cheap at local hardware store; I got mine at OSH for my

I use black floor runners in the drawers of my toolbox. It provides
a little cushion and the ribs keep things in place.

Not exactly cheap at ACE hardware though.

[email protected] July 7th 05 05:43 PM

The ways on my mill are protected by pieces of old bed sheet held in
place with lots of small magnets. It's easier to remove chips from the
magnets if the cloth is rolled around them. I can't vacuum the chips up
but they brush off without pulling the cloth loose.

jw

lionslair at consolidated dot net July 8th 05 04:11 AM

wrote:

The ways on my mill are protected by pieces of old bed sheet held in
place with lots of small magnets. It's easier to remove chips from the
magnets if the cloth is rolled around them. I can't vacuum the chips up
but they brush off without pulling the cloth loose.

jw

The shield over the mill lead screw when the table is moved.
When the plastic - rubberized maybe - cracked and went south on my Mill-Drill
unit - I replaced it with a cutoff section - of pond rubber sheet. Pond companies
or plant houses that sell wet plants - have the rubber sheeting that covers
a hole in the ground to make a pond from... My wife got a cut off section -
small 10-15' size - not large enough for a pond - I used a nice section and replaced
the cracked on on my mill. It is flexible and oil safe.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life