R.H.

Default What is it? LXVIII

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

393

It looks old and rusty, but similar knifes are used to chop herbs by
rolling it back and forth through a pile.

Tor
Karl Vorwerk

338 scratch test needles to determine the karat of gold.
http://shorinternational.com/TestGold.htm

Karl

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

damned complicated, guess I will be way of with all answers this time.
Anyhow.

#388: Gauge for comparing silver(gold?)-content.
#389: blind-riveting gun (no!) or air operated hammer for sheet metal
work (also wrong)
#390: sinter metal filter. Don't ask where it was in!
#391: airless deep diving shoes. Maffia style
#392: radio knob screw on tool. The inventor was without success,
because the knobs are slipped onto the axle.
No really, this ain't a commercial tool. Someone built it for his own
purpose. Maybe to unscrew (Australian style) bottle caps.
#393: for straw cutting.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Knothead

388. scratch test needles
399. Pnemamatic blind air riveting gun
390. Antigue air compressor line filter
391. Earthing shoes to prevent staic discharge.
392. Automotive brake retaining spring tool. (Shoe brakes)
393. Inuit ULU knife. While generally can be used as an all around cutting
tool, it was most affective for fleshing blubber from hide.

Nick Müller

Knothead wrote:

392. Automotive brake retaining spring tool. (Shoe brakes)

damned! This it is! For pressing those disks with the lengthy hole in
the middle onto the spring and fiddling the rod from the rear throug and
then turn it 90 deg.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

The knife is a Mezza Luna or half moon
The tool with the screwdriver handle is for pressing on those clips
that retain a spring without destroying the end of your thumb, car
brakes have them.
The pellet appears to be a sintered filter, perhaps for fuel.

leflynn

390 Looks like my dart sharpener (actually
they are better at removing burrs than sharpening).
This one would be very shallow compared to:
http://www.prodarts.nl/en/pt/cdfj.htm
But looks a lot like
http://www.4discountsports.com/item/B0006GRBDW/

L.

JohnM

R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Things on a loop.

Bi-directional spray gun.

Sintered metal filter.

Sandals for pigeon-toed individual.

Yellow-handled device, probably a tool.

Knife for cutting stuff in a wooden bowl.

John
axolotl

Nick Müller wrote:

Knothead wrote:

392. Automotive brake retaining spring tool. (Shoe brakes)

damned! This it is!

Although it might be able to be used for that, The designed purpose is
to tighten the serrated nuts typically used on toggle switches.

Kevin Gallimore

Knothead

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
Knothead wrote:

392. Automotive brake retaining spring tool. (Shoe brakes)

damned! This it is! For pressing those disks with the lengthy hole in
the middle onto the spring and fiddling the rod from the rear throug and
then turn it 90 deg.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Yeah now I can remember all that but I can't remember to spell check, go
figure. I guess short term is the first to go huh?

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

388) Spark plug gap gauges?

389) Used on recalcitrant students? Or possibly for ground-to-air
signalling, in which case it would shoot a flare or other signal.

390) Insulator?

391) Wing-Walkers!

392) Driver for turning a knurled knob

393) ?

Norman D. Crow

306 Brake spring tool. For removing, installing the small spring/washer
that holds the brake shoe against the backing plate

393 ??, but reminds me of a cutting tool utilized by Eskimos.

--
Nahmie

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

You know if it is a sharpener I bet it would be to shape a pool cue tip.

Anonym

"Tor-Einar Jarnbjo" skrev i melding
R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

393

It looks old and rusty, but similar knifes are used to chop herbs by
rolling it back and forth through a pile.

Looks like a skinning knife.

Hax Planx

R.H. says...

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Medieval torture device
Martian disintegrator gun
Ant sized sacrificial obelisk
Artificial gravity sandals
Single serving marmalade jar opener
Medieval tongue depressor
Worlds shortest telegraph
Hammer for nailing around corners
Picasso sculpture titled "Venus flytrap of the year 2525"
Ancient Chinese television antenna
Hydraulic finger exerciser
Battlefield skull fracture closer
Mark and Kim Smith

Knothead wrote:

392. Automotive brake retaining spring tool. (Shoe brakes)

damned! This it is! For pressing those disks with the lengthy hole in
the middle onto the spring and fiddling the rod from the rear throug and
then turn it 90 deg.

Nick

Better known as shoe hold down springs.
Tim Mullen

"R.H." writes:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

389: Compressed gas reaction pistol for EVA maneuvering?

391: Magnetic soles to keep from maneuvering too much?

392: Nut driver for knurled dress nuts on old toggle switches.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

388) A graded series of points, marked "4" through "20", starting in
steps of 2. (Or is that top one marked "30"? The photo blurs
when I try to make it large enough to be sure.)

My guess on this one is that it is a set of tools for cleaning
carbon out of gas jets, or perhaps for enlarging them in precise
steps.

389) I have three guesses for this one (in order of preference):

1) A reaction jet for moving a spacesuited man during a
space walk. One trigger moves you forward, the other
moves you backwards, and it is powered from a tank of
compressed air connected through the handle.

2) Connects to a source of fire extinguishing foam for
fires on the apron.

3) A gun for spinning up a jet turbine in an aircraft when
powered by ground-based compressor. (But I would expect
some kind of locking ring on the "muzzle" if this were
the purpose.

390) Grinding stone (commonly called a "point", prior to mounting
one end on a steel shank to allow it to be rotated. It looks
like the green stones used for sharpening carbide tools if you
can't afford the diamonds which do the job better.

391) These should mount on the boots of a space suit, and have
magnets secured to the bottom by the Pillips screws visible.
These are to allow walking in zero gravity during space flight.
They keep the wearer from floating off the deck. (Is that
surface on which they are displayed vertical by any chance? Is
there another pair with the other side visible?)

392) This one I *know*. It is a tool for tightening the thin knurled
nuts used for mounting switches, jacks, or potentiometers in
the front panels of electronic equipment. I've even got three
sizes of them of a somewhat different design (split collet with
tightener, instead of this more open style.)

393) A knife used in cutting strips of blubber into "books" prior to
boiling them down for the oil. (The "books" have a strip of the
external skin as a "binding", with cuts down to but not through
the skin. This is after the flensing knives (on long poles) are
used to cut the skin of the whale into long strips as they are
unwound from the carcass of the whale.

As a secondary option, this looks like something used in the
kitchen for cutting thin foot objects like pie crusts or pizzas,
or perhaps for dicing things like onion slices.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

389) Smithinksi & Wessonowski manufactured, under contract to the Royal
Polish Air Force, a 'recoil-less' Flare gun. "Used Once".

Mark & Juanita

#390 Pneumatic tool of some sort
#391 Fuel filter?
#393 Hay knife?

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

388. The key ring of a man from Boringvania.
389. Steam gun for cleaning flight suits after really exciting maneuvers!
390. Ancient Inca cigarette filter. Petrified.
391. Shower shoes. See #389 for more explanation.
392. "Beerdriver" for the real mechanics.
393. Hard drive partitioner tool.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Nick Müller

DoN. Nichols wrote:

magnets secured to the bottom by the Pillips screws visible.
These are to allow walking in zero gravity during space flight.

Is the Space Shutte made out of steel!? 8-O

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Nick Müller wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

magnets secured to the bottom by the Pillips screws visible.
These are to allow walking in zero gravity during space flight.

Is the Space Shutte made out of steel!? 8-O

Of course not -- but a thin layer of steel on the walking
surfaces could work with such shoes.

And it might not have been for the shuttle, but perhaps for one
of the stations (SpaceLab, or one of its successors.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

leflynn

I'm in. How much?

Ob. Puzzle: Did the previous poster check the links I provided?

R.H.

Looks like they've all been answered correctly, but I'm not sure about 392:

388. Scratch test needles
389. Reaction propulsion pistol, this device was tested in zero gravity
aircraft flights as a means of individual maneuvering in free fall.
390. Dart sharpener
391. Magnetic boots, these were used in experiments in zero gravity aircraft
flights to determine their utility for space operations.
392. When I posted this set, I thought that this was a brake shoe retaining
spring tool like the one shown in this link:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd285.html

Others here seem sure that it's for knurled nuts, but I haven't found a link
to see an example of one. This tool is marked "Blackhawk ZT1010", I did a
search but couldn't find anything about it on the web.

392. Ulu knife or possibly a mezzaluna knife, they both look similar.

Rob

R.H.

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
338 scratch test needles to determine the karat of gold.
http://shorinternational.com/TestGold.htm

Karl

Thanks for the link.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Looks like they've all been answered correctly, but I'm not sure about 392:

388. Scratch test needles

O.K. Once others started guessing/identifying it as that, I
decided that they were more likely to be right than I was.

[ ... ]

392. When I posted this set, I thought that this was a brake shoe retaining
spring tool like the one shown in this link:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd285.html

Others here seem sure that it's for knurled nuts, but I haven't found a link
to see an example of one. This tool is marked "Blackhawk ZT1010", I did a
search but couldn't find anything about it on the web.

I just tried to find my examples to photograph them, but they
are not in the toolboxes where I expected them.

I guess that the trick is whether the knurls form a straight
cylinder or whether they are tapered. If a straight cylinder, it would
be a knurled nut tool, if tapered, it could be to grip the edges of the
disc-shaped retainers on brake shoes.

392. Ulu knife or possibly a mezzaluna knife, they both look similar.

O.K. Those are names for them -- but what are they *used* for?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Wild Bill

A standard size switch knurled nut is about .590" diameter, although I think
I've seen larger, less common ones.

The end opening on my K-D Tools pin retainer tool is about .833 diameter
(and tapering inward). I didn't have a new retainer to measure.

WB

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Tim Mullen

In (DoN. Nichols) writes:

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Looks like they've all been answered correctly, but I'm not sure about 392:

392. When I posted this set, I thought that this was a brake shoe retaining
spring tool like the one shown in this link:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd285.html

Others here seem sure that it's for knurled nuts, but I haven't found a link
to see an example of one. This tool is marked "Blackhawk ZT1010", I did a
search but couldn't find anything about it on the web.

I just tried to find my examples to photograph them, but they
are not in the toolboxes where I expected them.

I guess that the trick is whether the knurls form a straight
cylinder or whether they are tapered. If a straight cylinder, it would
be a knurled nut tool, if tapered, it could be to grip the edges of the
disc-shaped retainers on brake shoes.

Older knurled dress nuts *are* tapered. They have a rather nice,
rounded profile. More recent ones are straight in cross-section.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
------ finger this account or call anytime: (212)-463-0552 -------
Nick Müller

DoN. Nichols wrote:

And it might not have been for the shuttle, but perhaps for one
of the stations (SpaceLab, or one of its successors.

Neither nor, it was made for the MIR!
Drop forged and riveted.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
R.H.

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
A standard size switch knurled nut is about .590" diameter, although I

think
I've seen larger, less common ones.

The end opening on my K-D Tools pin retainer tool is about .833 diameter
(and tapering inward). I didn't have a new retainer to measure.

WB

The one I have is about the same size with a slight taper, so I'll probably
go with the "brake shoe retaining spring tool" answer unless I find some
evidence that it's for something else.

Rob

R.H.

392. Ulu knife or possibly a mezzaluna knife, they both look similar.

O.K. Those are names for them -- but what are they *used* for?

Enjoy,
DoN.

According to an anonymous comment on my site:

"Cataloged as a "Mincing Knife". An exact image of this one shows up in an
1865 Russell & Erwin Hardware catalog."

Ulu knives are for multiple purposes, as mentioned on this site:

http://www.theulufactory.com/

I use mine for cutting pizza.

Rob

R.H.

391) These should mount on the boots of a space suit, and have
magnets secured to the bottom by the Pillips screws visible.
These are to allow walking in zero gravity during space flight.
They keep the wearer from floating off the deck. (Is that
surface on which they are displayed vertical by any chance? Is
there another pair with the other side visible?)

Unfortunately they were displayed so that the bottom was not visible, you
would think that they would mount them with one showing the top and the
other one showing the bottom, maybe I'll suggest that to the museum.

Rob

Rich Grise

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:46:57 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

392. Ulu knife or possibly a mezzaluna knife, they both look similar.

O.K. Those are names for them -- but what are they *used* for?

Anything an Eskimo needs a knife for. Once on some "National
Geographic"-type show I saw a clip of someone using one to
split stick matches in two so they'd get twice as many
lights per box.

Cheers!
Rich