DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   new project, jeep grille guard (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/110616-new-project-jeep-grille-guard.html)

wallster June 23rd 05 03:58 PM

new project, jeep grille guard

I bought an old salvaged jeep and did the body over as a project for the
winter/spring. Just finished it up but it was missing something, it just
didn't look "jeepy" enough. Too nice and generic looking so I
decided a grille guard and lights would be cool looking and functional as
well. I
have a friend who operates a computerized steel laser cutter so I faxed over
a drawing
and specs so he could cut the side plates (out of .375" steel plate) I used
various sizes of square
stock for cross pieces (bought them out of the discounted scrap bin pile). I
think it looks good. Here's are two pics, one of the tacked up project and
one of the finished product. I wouldn't want to run out in front of this
thing!
http://www.wallys-speed-shop.com/guard_4.jpg
http://www.wallys-speed-shop.com/grille_guard_1.jpg

walt
ps. Here's the before and afters of the jeep itself
http://www.wallys-speed-shop.com/93jeep_project.html

Robert Swinney June 23rd 05 04:36 PM

Nice job, Wally. It sort of reinforces the goal of my next vehicle being a
Wrangler with a trailer hitch - sort of a poor man's "off road and pickup"
in one package. Yeah, maybe a winch on the front for authenticity.

Bob Swinney

Steve Peterson June 23rd 05 07:22 PM

"wallster" wrote in message
[...]

After I clicked on your home page and heard the sound clip you have on there
I got up to look outside to see who is leaving my yard with one of my cars!
Good one! Steve

David Courtney June 23rd 05 07:30 PM

It looks nice... but it also looks like it would conceal one or both of
the front turn signals, depending on where the pedestrian, biker or other
car was viewing you from?
That would be not-so-good... and might have liability implications if
you were in an accident?
David

wallster June 23rd 05 09:41 PM

"David Courtney" wrote in message
It looks nice... but it also looks like it would conceal one or both of
the front turn signals, depending on where the pedestrian, biker or other
car was viewing you from?
That would be not-so-good... and might have liability implications if
you were in an accident?
David

I actually used an exsisting grille guard as a reference. From directly from
the front, the directionals are not hidden and from other angles, the guard
is away from the grille enough to see as well. Here's a picture of mine and
one that sells in various catalogs. I moved the top bar up a bit so it
wouldn't block the directionals.
http://www.wallys-speed-shop.com/guard_b.jpg

walt